It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2004, 01:08 PM   #1
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User
I eat too much!

Hi,
I am under the age 20 if it has anything to do with this, but ever since I have been a little kid I eat like a living vaccuum...I could go to a buffet and eat three big plate fulls.

I have weighed 120 since the 8th grade, and I really have not gained any weight unless this scale is inaccurate which could be the issue also.

But the main problem is I am starting to feel fat, and embarrased cuz all I do is think about food, and eat all the time. I always have but now that I am just out of my teen years, people tell me "u eat too much" my sister who wears a 00-2 size in pants tells me im fat, i wear a 4-6 in pants. It is starting to hurt and im getting paranoid, how do I not eat so much, its like my body needs food all the time.

Old 02-21-2004, 02:39 PM   #2
(female)

angel85 HB User
Re: I eat too much!

What kinds of things are you eating? If you're eating alot of simple carbs then you tend to get an energy boost, but get hungry soon after. You could aim for foods with more fiber as they tend to be filling for longer, especially if you eat them with something that has a little protein in it. You didn't mention how active you are, which is a big factor. Obviously if you are really active every day your body is going to need more calories than if you were sedentary.
That being said, you certainly don't sound fat. . . What's your height? I wear the same size pants as you and I've been told I'm too skinny lol.
You shouldn't be embarassed about your body, no matter what your sister says. It's become increasingly difficult for women to have a positive body image in today's society, simply because we are assaulted daily by idealized images of our sex (and don't forget that alot of these are digitally "enhanced"). In my opinion, you should never change yourself based solely on other people's opinions. You should change for you. Remember: it's your health, your body, and, ultimately, your life to live. Shouldn't it be your choice how you live it? There's this exercise I did in a class this past semester that really helps put things in perspective. Take a piece of yarn and, without measuring, make a circle that you think is the same size as your thigh. Cut the yarn to that length, then wrap that yarn around your thigh (preferably without clothing to be more accurate). Tie a knot in the yarn where/if it overlaps any. Most people overestimate the size by an inch or more which means we tend to think we are that much bigger than we actually are in real life.
Sorry for the rant, but I hope it helped you in some way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2004, 09:54 PM   #3
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User

Thanks for the comforting words...I feel fat, I am 5'3 and a fourth. I have a chubby belly I feel and chubby thighs...When I sit I have this line going across my stomach and then when i situp you can see where the fat folded...I guess maybe that has to do with my posture, but still.

I eat just about everything, from junk food, to sometimes salad, and right after salad ill eat like a donut and some milk, I have weird eating habits too..I'll eat cottage cheese right after popcorn, or a donut right after a salad, but I always been this way. Could I have a high metabolism or does that not have much to do with it? I eat outside food a lot too, like mcdonalds or other restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel85
What kinds of things are you eating? If you're eating alot of simple carbs then you tend to get an energy boost, but get hungry soon after. You could aim for foods with more fiber as they tend to be filling for longer, especially if you eat them with something that has a little protein in it. You didn't mention how active you are, which is a big factor. Obviously if you are really active every day your body is going to need more calories than if you were sedentary.
That being said, you certainly don't sound fat. . . What's your height? I wear the same size pants as you and I've been told I'm too skinny lol.
You shouldn't be embarassed about your body, no matter what your sister says. It's become increasingly difficult for women to have a positive body image in today's society, simply because we are assaulted daily by idealized images of our sex (and don't forget that alot of these are digitally "enhanced"). In my opinion, you should never change yourself based solely on other people's opinions. You should change for you. Remember: it's your health, your body, and, ultimately, your life to live. Shouldn't it be your choice how you live it? There's this exercise I did in a class this past semester that really helps put things in perspective. Take a piece of yarn and, without measuring, make a circle that you think is the same size as your thigh. Cut the yarn to that length, then wrap that yarn around your thigh (preferably without clothing to be more accurate). Tie a knot in the yarn where/if it overlaps any. Most people overestimate the size by an inch or more which means we tend to think we are that much bigger than we actually are in real life.
Sorry for the rant, but I hope it helped you in some way.

Old 02-21-2004, 11:28 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User

Honey your sister is a Nasty hag ,obviously there is somthing about you that she's jealous of beause there is no way a person thta size should be thought of as fat ...even if you have no muscle you'd still be tiny ....so tell her to go ..... herself !!

Old 02-22-2004, 09:05 AM   #5
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User

Lol engineer1961..My sister is a pretty big *****, just because shes miss double 00...and deathly looking. My family even tells me like "oh shes eating again"-"all she ever does is eat" "ur starting to get fat"...I guess I will have to just ignore them...and I am always going to try the yarn thing too, to see if I really do overestimate myself.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:14 AM   #6
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetMeKnot
Hi,
I am under the age 20 if it has anything to do with this, but ever since I have been a little kid I eat like a living vaccuum...I could go to a buffet and eat three big plate fulls.

I have weighed 120 since the 8th grade, and I really have not gained any weight unless this scale is inaccurate which could be the issue also.

But the main problem is I am starting to feel fat, and embarrased cuz all I do is think about food, and eat all the time. I always have but now that I am just out of my teen years, people tell me "u eat too much" my sister who wears a 00-2 size in pants tells me im fat, i wear a 4-6 in pants. It is starting to hurt and im getting paranoid, how do I not eat so much, its like my body needs food all the time.
I highlighted what I believe is the key phrase here. The fact that you are thinking about food all the time tells me that something else is going on. You are wise to try and identify it so young. I believe this is how many of us develop into emotional eaters as adults.
At the heart of this may be something very simple, like a food intolerance. Counter to what you may think, the body's response to eating a food to which one is insentive is to crave more of it. This has to do with insulin and hormonal responses the body uses to try and control its reaction to the food (Ann Louise Gittleman, in her book Fat Flush Plan, does an excellent job of describing this on page 22. Try and get a copy from the library).
Common foods that trigger more cravings are dairy, wheat, sugar, yeast. Start keeping a food journal. If you write down what you eat on a daily basis, you may be able to pinpoint foods that trigger the munchies for you.
Journaling this way is also a great way to get a handle on eating as an emotional response (rather than a hunger response). It may seem like a hassle, but you know, it can be excellent ammunition the next time you get the "she's eating again." comment. 'Specially if you can point to your journal and say, "Yep! I had a carrot/jicama/pepper snack 2 hours ago and now I'm eating an apple dipped in cinnamon."
After all, recent nutritional studies now confirm that eating every 2-3 hours and keeping meals small is healthier than eating 3 large meals per day.

best wishes,

Old 02-22-2004, 08:51 PM   #7
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User

Thanks Csoar..Im going to try and get a copy of that book

Old 02-23-2004, 10:30 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

smartgal HB User

Don't buy in to it. You are at a fine weight. Don't mess with your metabolism. I would be thrilled to weigh what you do. You may eat more than others because you are growing taller or have a higher metabolism, don't worry about it!

Old 02-23-2004, 06:48 PM   #9

RobH HB User

ForgetMeKnot,

You certainly don't sound like you're fat. Offhand I would say you do have a fast metabolism to eat like you do and not gain weight. I agree that you're statement "all I do is think about food" is a warning sign. csoar2004 gave you good advice on making sure you don't have an eating disorder (or develop one in the future). When you are young, your metabolism may prevent you from becoming fat, but that could change quickly if you are eating more than you need.

That having been said, some people do seem to need more than others. You and your unusually thin sister may both have very fast metabolisms. If you eat only when you are hungry, and you are not getting fat, then I wouldn't worry to much. However, if you think something is wrong then you should see a doctor.

I think it is wrong for anyone to tease you for eating too much. If they think there is a problem they should help you solve it. I know about this from some expirience, I was also a "living vacuum" when I was a kid. I know it annoyed my mom sometimes but she never blamed me or complained about my appetite. But she did have me checked by a doctor. When I got to college people did tease me sometimes and I did let it get to me a little. Don't let it bother you.

You probably should get a check up with your doctor. If nothing else it'll give you peace of mind to know nothing is wrong with you.

Old 02-24-2004, 08:35 AM   #10

Becca1387 HB User

What's the yarn thing, I need to do something to get me to stop eating as much, I would kill to be a size 6 or 7, your sister's a *****!

Old 02-24-2004, 10:00 AM   #11
(female)

angel85 HB User

Hello Becca
Basically, the exercise is to help you see the difference between your perceived body image (that picture of yourself you have in your mind) and your actual body. You take a piece of yarn and make a circle about the size you believe your thigh is. You should do this without measuring your thigh in any way, this includes with a measuring tape, your hands, whatever. Just make a blind approximation. Cut the yarn when you think you've got a good estimate. Then, wrap the yarn around your thigh. If you can do this without any clothes then it will be more accurate. If the yarn overlaps any, then tie a knot where it overlaps. After you've got the knot tied, take a look at how much the yarn overlapped. Often, young women think their thighs are an inch or more bigger than they actually are. If the yarn doesn't overlap, then you have a pretty accurate image of yourself: what you see is really what you think you see. It is pretty rare for a person to underestimate their size, but it usually happens in men who want to build muscle. They perceive themselves as having smaller muscles than they actually do.
That's about it. I did this in my women's studies class, and out of the entire class only one person estimated herself correctly. Everyone else (myself included :P) overestimated themselves. Apparently, it's an exercise that therapists use alot with anorexics to help them see how grossly inaccurate their mental images of themselves are (they can overestimate by as much as a foot!) Hope this helps ^_^

Old 02-24-2004, 02:52 PM   #12
Inactive

SnowyLynne63 HB User

You are the right size for your highth & weight.Don't worry about what others think...........

Old 02-24-2004, 03:37 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetMeKnot
all I do is think about food, and eat all the time.
This line in your post stood out to me also...
But I'm wondering if you are eating out of an emotional need rather than a physical one.
Overeater's Anonymous is very good at wrking to overcome the type of eating that is really just trying to "fill a void".
There are many reasons behind emotional eating; childhood abuse, abandoned by a mom or dad, guilt, fear of intimacy, lots of reasons. Maybe no reason at all..
Just a thought...

Old 02-24-2004, 09:13 PM   #14
Inactive

ForgetMeKnot HB User

I did the yarn thing, but with toilet paper cuz it was sittin there and i was like this is probably the same, I went about 3 inches over my waste line, which really isnt that much, but I am good at estimating sizes sometimes lol.

The yarn thing is to take some yarn and un roll it to where u think is your waist size then check it with yourself and most likely you will overestimate your waist size.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, at least spring is on its way and I will be able to be more active..just in case.

I wanted to mention, that when I do eat I eat weird things like I always need to balance out the taste buds, tonight I had crab soup, (vegetables and crab meat), then I had a snickers candy bar (fun size) and a smoothie juice with it..like right after one another. I didnt feel too good after I ate it all but then it settled. The other night I popped popcorn and had to get some cottage cheese. And then yesterday before bed I got some tortillas and salsa dip and had milk with it to drink... weird.

RobH..You said you ate alot when you were little too..was it just like anything..like u just had the munchies for anything cuz thats what I find myself doing a little bit of this and a little bit of that..like i cant make up my mind or something lol.

Old 02-25-2004, 11:20 AM   #15

RobH HB User

ForgetMeKnot,
I not sure exactly what your asking me. In High School I had a really big appetite in general and it was common for me to have the "munchies". I would snack on anything I could find around. My appetite wasn't consistant but sometimes I would be really ravenous all day and I had trouble filling myself up. I usually ate more than anyone else in the family and sometimes as much as the rest of the family. Once for dinner I ate everything on the table and I wasn't really full, even if I didn't really need to eat any more. Three hours later I told my Mom I was hungry again. She asked me about 5 times if I was really hungry or just eating for something to do. I convinced her I was so she gave me $20 and sent me to Pizza Hut. I was really hungry at these times and I think my body needed a lot of food, even if it was more than other people would eat. The point is that you should not compare yourself to others too much. Everyone's body is unique. Just make sure you eat because your body requires food and not for some other reason. Do what your body needs and don't worry about other people. I still recomend seeing a doctor if you feel like there is a problem. My Mom took me to the doctor even though she never stopped me from eating when I was really hungry. I'm sure you get an annual physical so talk to the doctor about it then.
Good Luck,
Rob

Closed Thread