It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2004, 10:23 PM   #1

Robin213 HB User
Question Soda problem

HI
Im trying to lose weight, im 5"7 160 trying to lose about 25 lbs. I went on a diet on Thursday and was excited . However, I have ALWAYS drank Soda, I went from drinking Mostly soda all the time (about 8 ---12 ounce cans a day sometimes more) To drinking NONE at all. And since then i have been having terrible headaches, extreme tiredness out of no where, the shakes,etc.. I looked these symptoms up and came up with caffine withdrawl. So im wondering. How much should i cut down ? First thing i did after i saw caffine withdrawl was open a soda lol. I would rather drink the soda then to deal with the headaches because they get bad. I guess your supposed to ween yourself off of it, but how?? Also is the soda really gonna hurt my diet that much? I wasnt sure where to post this. Thanks Alot Robin

Old 02-22-2004, 07:19 AM   #2

Shane S HB User
Re: Soda problem

You definitely need to become much less reliant on caffeine, diet or not. While caffeine is generally considered beneficial to weight loss, your current amount is excessive. Regardless, alternatives such as diet soda and coffee will have much less impact on your diet. Using these, you can drop down a normal amount slowly, perhaps one drink every few days.

Will it hurt your diet that much? YES! We're talking about 1000+ calories per day of pure sugar, on top of what you're already eating.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2004, 08:31 AM   #3

MsMeaganMay HB User

Is it the sweet taste your suffering/withdrawing from? If it is, maybe you could try something like fresh fruit juices, or maybe Propel? If it is the caffeine...maybe you could try something with smaller amounts of caffeine that is better for your health, like green tea? Yes, you really do need to cut out the soda. Most people I know lost 10-15 pounds after cutting out soda, and not only that but your body and health will thank you for it.

Take care .

Old 02-22-2004, 11:22 AM   #4
Mara

Backing off soda is a good idea & a simple way to reduce calories drastically. Too me, eight cans sounds like a lot of soda. I'm gonna guess you need to up consumption of water to start with. When you didn't drink soda, what did you replace it with?

Old 02-23-2004, 10:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

I OVERDOSED ON PEPSI last week not a great experience l am withdrawing and my head is killing me very long term drinker of the stuff NEVER AGAIN you wanna know what its like to feel like your dying?......

Old 02-23-2004, 11:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

you could also try the diet sodas, although few people would endorse this approach as healthful. It nonetheless could assist with tapering off the caffeine.

green tea is a more healthful way to do the same. It seems, from the research that keeps coming, we should all be drinking more tea (black and green) anyway.

sean

Old 02-23-2004, 11:55 AM   #7

sidnee74 HB User

How do you feel about water? It not only helps your overall health but also aids in weight loss. Diet soda may be a better alternative - except that aspartame may actually slow weight loss not to mention it is not good for your mental health. Juice has natural sugar, yes, but still quite a few calories. Drinking calories is detrimental to your diet - you're consuming calories that have no affect on hunger. I would suggest try to drink more water and herbal tea. Green tea for caffeine is a good idea as it also has antioxidants. Just don't overload it with sugar.

On a side note, my mother was diagnosed with diabetes last year after years of drinking coke like she should have been drinking water. The calories in soda could have a bigger impact on your body than just extra pounds.

Old 02-23-2004, 12:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, Flavored tea has caffene and no calories or sodium. You could try to wean yourself off the caffene by using tea instead of soda. Then gradually decrease the amounts of tea. The flavored teas are easy to drink without the need to add sugar/sugar substitute or milk. If you want to add milk, you can always add skim milk. There's flavors like apple cinnamon, mint, blackberry, etc. You can brew a large pot ahead of time and make unsweetened ice-tea out of it.

Old 02-26-2004, 06:36 AM   #9
Inactive

zip2play HB User

A cup of strong coffee contains around arounf 160 mg caffeine. A 12 ounce Pepsi has 37...So 2 cups of coffee a day will certainly stop any caffeine withdrawal (equivalent to 8 sodas) with pretty close to ZERO calories!

Old 02-26-2004, 10:19 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanx for the reply headaches are slowly going lm still drinking pepsi although nowhere near as much.......... cheers

Old 02-26-2004, 07:17 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

The withdrawl will go away, i went from about the same (8 cans of coke/drpepper a day) to drinking water only. Thats saving you like 800 calories and a shitload of carbs and sugars. My weight has just melted off, and i think cutting out candy, soda, just plain sugary stuff (as much as possible on the sugary stuff) and you'll lose weight fast.

Old 02-27-2004, 05:43 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi its always been the diet or max (no sugar) for me lve lost weight most unintentially ! Ive cut right back now and headaches have gone the anxiety type thing hasnt cheers friends x

Old 02-27-2004, 04:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by niecsey
Hi its always been the diet or max (no sugar) for me lve lost weight most unintentially ! Ive cut right back now and headaches have gone the anxiety type thing hasnt cheers friends x

What anxiety type thing are you talking about? Thanks.

Old 02-28-2004, 06:19 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

I've been there with you on this one...
I had a major Pepsi addiction going for several years. Tried to quit cold turkey and it felt like I had an ice pick stuck right in the middle of my forehead.

The only way I became caffeine free was to get some smaller bottles and mix regular and diet-caffeine free pop half and half.
I gradually reduced the ratio of the regular stuff, and then it was easy to kick the "weenie water" (caffeine-free diet pop as it's known in the midwest).
I do have a cup of "Half-caff" coffee in the a.m.
Can't take the addict out of me all toether!!!

Old 02-29-2004, 01:51 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Exclamation Re: Soda problem

Hello thanx for replying¬ I failed yesterday and drank over a full big fat bottle my insides were screaming for it my mouth was dry so dry.......... Yes some thing you can/give your kids! Yes innocent as it looks.............its addictive!) Im going to have to look for caffine free soda l have NOT seen any majors brands such as cola or pepsi in caffine free! just one major supermarkets own brand it was awful YACK! aNyone in uk seen it? Pls reply ruth thanx for telling me how you did it! Goodluck

Closed Thread