It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2004, 11:05 PM   #1

duckxtales HB User
Anyone know if diet patches work?

Anyone know if diet patches work? I'm tempted to buy some, but would like user reviews before putting any money on the line. I did some research on these products but there are so many out there.

Old 02-22-2004, 11:44 PM   #2
(male)

davitude HB User
Re: Anyone know if diet patches work?

There are a lot of diet patches out there...

The bad news is that most of them probably contain the same stuff that's in diet pills that don't work well enough either.

The good news is that they are not too expensive to produce, so if some braniac actually finds something that is truly different, it could possibly find it's way on to a patch.

Let's hope that some others post about their experiences with specific ones.

If there's one out there that you're really leaning towards, post about it and I'll check it out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2004, 12:19 AM   #3

duckxtales HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davitude
There are a lot of diet patches out there...

The bad news is that most of them probably contain the same stuff that's in diet pills that don't work well enough either.

The good news is that they are not too expensive to produce, so if some braniac actually finds something that is truly different, it could possibly find it's way on to a patch.

Let's hope that some others post about their experiences with specific ones.

If there's one out there that you're really leaning towards, post about it and I'll check it out.

great thanks a bunch... Any user reviews on this one? {URL removed}

Might be getting this one since they had CBS news do a review on it.

Last edited by hbguide1; 03-09-2004 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Links to Commercial websites are not permitted at HealthBoards. Please review the Board Guidelines at the FAQ button above.

Old 02-23-2004, 02:23 AM   #4
(male)

davitude HB User

I wish I could give you a definite answer, but I'll give you a summary of what I've found and let you make your decision (which could be to wait for some real science on this)

The active ingredient in slimpatch is an extract of Fucus vesiculosus which is a marine algae. It has been used for supposedly hundreds of years for weight control. The proposed mechanism is that it increases thyroid levels. (which if it does would be very weight reducing indeed!). That's the good news.

The bad news is that most herbalists seem to think that F ves would only increase thyroid levels in cases of iodine deficiency (it's high in iodine content). Which would make it an effective weight control agent a hundred or so years ago when iodine deficiency was more common.

My gut instinct is that this will not work all that well, simply because the plant is consumed regularly in some cultures and scientists have been looking at "skinny natives" for their secrets for years. Such an obvious connection between a folk remedy and chronic consumers of that remedy would have probably been made.

But hey...unlike most products I've seen I can't give a definite no (check out some of my other posts). Since I couldn't find any real studies (at least none that were free!) there could very well be another mechanism involved even beyond the thyroid issue.

Wish I could have been more helpful...I'll be checking back to see who posts.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:38 AM   #5

duckxtales HB User

wow nice info thanks. i guess there's no harm in trying ill just get the 1 month supply for now.

Old 02-25-2004, 09:17 PM   #6

duckxtales HB User
Talking Re: Anyone know if diet patches work?

just got my diet patches today. Hopefully this works. I'll be posting my progress on this.

Old 02-29-2004, 09:08 PM   #7

babynina2003 HB User

I'm actually looking into buying this kind of product. I had a friend that used these patches and saw results within a week. I saw a bunch of them online, any recommendations?

Old 03-04-2004, 12:21 PM   #8

duckxtales HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynina2003
I'm actually looking into buying this kind of product. I had a friend that used these patches and saw results within a week. I saw a bunch of them online, any recommendations?
I've been on the patches for about a week now and i must say they are really working. I lost 5 pounds already. It definately does regulate my eating habits. I don't feel the need to eat as much anymore. It's not even that I get full, I just don't feel like eating after awhile. if this keeps up i might even be saving alot more on food just by eating less than what i usually eat. I bought mine at {URL removed} they seem to have the cheapest price around. I wouldn't have bought it if I didnt see the CBS news review that they have on their site.

Last edited by hbguide1; 03-09-2004 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Commercial websites are not permitted at HealthBoards. Please review the Board Guidelines at the FAQ button above.

Old 03-09-2004, 11:14 AM   #9

duckxtales HB User

been 2 weeks on the patch. I'm down to 196 from 207. My goal is at least 160.

Old 03-10-2004, 07:27 AM   #10

WishUwerehere HB User

Wow, that's great, duckxtales! Keep us posted! Anyone else tried these patches? I have really hit a plateau in my weight loss and am thinking about trying them to give me a "jumpstart" toward losing these last 10 lbs.

Old 03-14-2004, 08:41 AM   #11

AlisonPerrotte HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckxtales
been 2 weeks on the patch. I'm down to 196 from 207. My goal is at least 160.

I am so desperate to lose weight..im not doing well in college..i dont want to participate in anything..i feel so ugly..im 5'9 and 160 lbs can u please post the name of the product u are using please
thanks, Alison

Last edited by moderator2; 03-15-2004 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 03-14-2004, 09:26 AM   #12
(male)

davitude HB User

Hi Alison, the patch is slimpatch. You are not far off at 5'9", you can get there in no time what's ideal for you? 130 or so?

Glad to hear you're doing so well, Duckxtales. Be sure to keep us posted. 3 months is typically the cut off for a product to be effective. Your quick weight loss makes me wonder, is your appetite that suppressed? Or are you on a strict diet, and the patches are helping you not be so hungry?

Old 03-14-2004, 12:46 PM   #13

AlisonPerrotte HB User

[QUOTE=davitude]Hi Alison, the patch is slimpatch. You are not far off at 5'9", you can get there in no time what's ideal for you? 130 or so?

Hey, i would like to be 147 lbs i dunno the exact weight im supposed 2 be..i dont want to be too skinny.. i would like to be just right.. take care
alison

Old 03-14-2004, 03:22 PM   #14
(male)

davitude HB User

I was just guessing. So it's what, about 15 pounds? Easy to do, post again about your eating/exercise habits.

Old 03-15-2004, 06:51 AM   #15

AlisonPerrotte HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davitude
I was just guessing. So it's what, about 15 pounds? Easy to do, post again about your eating/exercise habits.

Its easy to do? hmm i just dont know what to do..the exercise tapes that i have are just boring..but anyways..my eating habits..well my parents are from the west indies so we eat alot of rice and bread, plantans, i like subs..when im bored i tend to eat alot. im pretty active tho.. i dont sit on my *** allll day..i like jumping around. im a lil top heavy..i carry alot of excess fat around my waist (love handles) and i have a thick back.. its not fat just thick..so im always wearing a lil jacket over my outfits to hide it..i hid it well but i just want my arms and waist to go down..i cant hide forever..spring is around the corner. im like so depressed cuz im always covering up. im willing to eat healthy..i just dont know what to eat..plus im in college and its hard 4 me to eat right..my stomach growls extremely loud even when im not hungry..so i have to fill up.. man, i just have alot of hangups.. i dont know products i can use to help speed up my metabolism.i look at reviews.. sum people say it works others say it doesnt work..some peole say its fraud.. i dont know what works..im not looking for an easy way out..just a little push to help me
alison

Last edited by AlisonPerrotte; 03-15-2004 at 06:52 AM.

Closed Thread