It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2004, 11:22 AM   #1
(female)

alpinemeadow HB Useralpinemeadow HB Useralpinemeadow HB User
I don't understand this nutrition label

Today I was eating grape nuts and i was reading the nutrition label. Here is how it reads under "Total Carbohydrate":

Total Carbohydrate 47g
Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugars 5g
Other Carbohydrate 36g

Does anyone know what all of this means? Especially "other carbohydrate"?
thanks, any help will be appreciated!

Old 02-23-2004, 11:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User
Re: I don't understand this nutrition label

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinemeadow
Today I was eating grape nuts and i was reading the nutrition label. Here is how it reads under "Total Carbohydrate":

Total Carbohydrate 47g
Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugars 5g
Other Carbohydrate 36g

Well, if 6 grams are fiber and 5 are sugar, I suppose that means that the rest are starches of some kind. carbohydrates are measured "by difference" however, so some odd stuff gets thrown in, such as lactic acid.
In the case of grape nuts, however, it is almost certainly simple starch from grain.

sean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2004, 12:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Thats true, but most labels are based on a 2000 calories daily diet!
suggestion try only a 1/2 cup of your cereal/ dry skim milk...you won't be getting 47grams of carbs. the type of milk you use makes a lot of difference!
the big companys are misleading the public by what they put on there "nutrition facts"

They do put there so called "ingredients" on there but it's usally at the bottom of the package. Thats The reason for the other carbohydrates/sugars/dietary fibers ...hence......covers there azz!

Maybe I'm wrong? I don't know how to measure carbs? other than to trust whats on the package! but thats just what I have always heard.

Old 03-04-2004, 08:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman
Thats true, but most labels are based on a 2000 calories daily diet!
suggestion try only a 1/2 cup of your cereal/ dry skim milk...you won't be getting 47grams of carbs. the type of milk you use makes a lot of difference!
the big companys are misleading the public by what they put on there "nutrition facts"

They do put there so called "ingredients" on there but it's usally at the bottom of the package. Thats The reason for the other carbohydrates/sugars/dietary fibers ...hence......covers there azz!

Maybe I'm wrong? I don't know how to measure carbs? other than to trust whats on the package! but thats just what I have always heard.
Actually, the 2000 calorie diet thing is used for computing percentages of daily intake, etc. It is NOT the same as the gram counts for carbs, fiber, etc. These are almost always given "per serving."

You can indeed reach or exceed 47 grams of carbs per serving of most breakfast cereals, especially when milk and (heaven forbid!) added sugar are figured in. Certainly it is an unusual cereal that delivers fewer than 30 or so grams per bowl just counting the cereal plus milk, not even any added sugars.

sean

Old 03-08-2004, 06:16 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinemeadow

Total Carbohydrate 47g
Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugars 5g
Other Carbohydrate 36g

Actually I think 47 seems really high... especially since a serving is only 1/2 a cup. Although grapenuts is a very dense cereal. Must be some of that "other."

If its fiber your after try Kelloggs All-Bran. The serving size is a full cup. The carbs are the same - around 45 per serving - but the fiber is 19.4 grams!!!

Closed Thread