It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2004, 10:33 AM   #1
(male)

anewhope HB User
Weight Gain

I'm 6ft in height and just under ten stone in weight. I'd be happier if I could put more weight on, but i'm unsure how to go about it. I want to be heavier but I don't want to put weight on via an unhealthy diet of chips and high fatty/fast foods.

What healthier options are there?

Old 02-29-2004, 11:59 AM   #2

mandi-deg HB User
Re: Weight Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewhope
I'm 6ft in height and just under ten stone in weight. I'd be happier if I could put more weight on, but i'm unsure how to go about it. I want to be heavier but I don't want to put weight on via an unhealthy diet of chips and high fatty/fast foods.

What healthier options are there?
I have seen a nutritionist for this. I was told to eat a lot of foods with protein. also there is good fat. I was told to eat as many calories as possible. I also switched to whole milk. It has more in it. Have you seen a nutritionist? Otherwise check out the library for books about weight gaining. Thats all I can tell you. Do you work out at all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2004, 12:48 PM   #3

scribbles HB User

In order to gain weight, you will need to be in a modest positive energy balance, ie. eat more.

In terms of diet, I would increase caloric intake by incorporating at least 3 snacks and 3 meals a day. Try your hardest not to skip meals, and make each meal count.

Examples of some high-calorie foods/snacks that have healthy unsaturated fats: peanut butter, cheese, nuts (eg. almonds, walnuts), seeds, dried fruit (eg. apricots, figs, prunes, dates), protein/energy bars, fatty fish (eg. salmon, sardines, mackerel -- a good source of omega-3 polyunsat. fat, as are flaxseeds), avocadoes, granola. Monounsaturated fats from canola or olive oil are also good.

Examples of some high-calorie beverages: smoothies, 100% fruit juice, 1% or 2% milk.

In terms of exercise, weight lifting (together with adequate calories, esp. dietary protein) will help with increasing mass and the type of mass you gain.

Old 02-29-2004, 03:15 PM   #4

Shane S HB User

Eat more. I agree with the comments about protein and good fats, and whatever you do, don't let anyone tell you carbs are bad (even "bad" carbs aren't always bad, and besides which, the glycemic index is largely misunderstood anyway).

Supplement. All of the following can help: meal replacements/weight gainers (if you need extra calories/meals), creatine, a multivitamin without iron, protein powder, ZMA (for the testosterone and strength boost), maltodextrin/dextrose (for pre/post workout), and fish/flax oil.

Weight training. 6-8 reps is good, but if you're inexperienced, proper form is more important than low reps or high weight.

I'm not really big on cheese or whole milk, but I wouldn't worry about being too clean initially. Otherwise, the list is a very good start.

Last edited by Shane S; 02-29-2004 at 03:17 PM.

Closed Thread