It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2004, 07:40 AM   #1
(male)

golden HB User
A cleaning diet?

I am a person with his share of mental and physical problems and at age 56 I am just trying to survive. This is what I have found out about myself and I want to see if anyone has experience something like this. Years ago I tried a juice fast for about 6 days and went by the book and found myself getting weaker as each day past. Recently I have gone on a veggie and fruit diet, and experience a lot of ups and downs with weakness and mental and emotional ups and downs. Iím 6í1íí, small bone, 190 lbs. So I figure I should just eat normal (no big Macís or whoppers) but in smaller portions so to get my weight down to about 180 lbs and keep it there so to be just healthier. I feel the simple and most common since way, just might be the best way. Some chicken, and salmon and if I go to someones house for dinner and they have beef in the meal, that's ok, just eat small and use common since.

Golden

Old 03-01-2004, 08:28 AM   #2
Inactive

prometheus HB User
Re: A cleaning diet?

Hi Golden. Yes fasting will make you weak. It also makes you more sensitive. This could lead to emotional upset if it is during a stressful period of your life or you have other antagonists. It makes you introspective and forces you to face emotions that you would otherwise stuff down with food or ignore with activity that you can't do when you fast. When you fast all you can really do is go for long walks...and it can be a really pleasant experience depending on how well you know yourself and where you are in life. It helps if it is for spiritual reasons because it brings you so close to God and it makes you question your life and your goals and your accomplishments, etc. A veggie and fruit diet can make you aggressive if you are not in a state of total fasting and yet are not eating enough or feel like you are depriving yourself. You know blood sugar, cravings, and all that. I don't think people should try diet, cleanses, or fasts without the correct state of mind. Optimal Nutrition can be done without restricting calories or eliminating any food groups, unless you are intolerant to them. I agree, everything in balance is a good way to go.

Last edited by prometheus; 03-01-2004 at 08:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2004, 11:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

It's not good to fast to lose weight!!!
I was stupid and learn the hard way!
I'm a male.

I was like 260lbs/hight 6'1 also.... I was so tired of being fat big pot belly mainly with no behind to speak of, well I started to fast not eatting anything only water and only a green salad lettus tomatos, onions ect ect maybe 3 times a week I did this for about 70 days I lost down to 190lbs in like 3 months, well needless to say that made me sick very sick I was placed in the hospital and was dignose with perneious anemia,a (B-12 disorder,) the Dr's say that my feasting like I did may have causes my "instsrict factor" in my stomach to to deslove? sinse theres no other obvious reasons for it to disapear like that! ONLY KNOWN MEDICAL FACT IS CANCERS/ DRINKING/LUKEMIA/ AND A FAMILY GENE... barring injury/surgerys.

I have been on the B-12 injections ever sinse...that was about 5 years ago I was 46 at the time I'am 51 at the present time, I gain all my weight back up to 250.00lbs now mostly my pot belly I don't drink smoke...I just love to eat is my problem I did try the Atkins but when he died I got scared of that diet? I lost about 30lbs from it but was at a stand still for two months not gaining or loseing, I got off the Atkins and now my weigt gain has rocketed to back to 260lbs, and really no one to blame but my self.

I some times tend to belive that when a fat person has been fat all there life and tried so many diets and only lose a few lbs like in my case 30lbs and it seems thats about all your going to lose no matter how hard you try? it just gets disgusting and I personally lose interest.

I know dieting works for most people but for some I don't think it matters/to the ones of us that are fat and been fat all our life, well maybe thats just our destiny? it's not Gods fault but to me I've prayed all my life (not to be fat) and it just don't seem to work! dieting just gets my hopes up!!!

I know I sound down on myself/but I have nothing to lose but my weight.

I know people view a fat person differently than a skinny person job interviews proves that.

Anywayz maybe they will come up with a wonder drug for me to try?
who knows??........btw if I was a RICH man sure I probably could lose weight going to all them health spas eatting right buying the right things to eat, ect ect...but I'm just an pinto bean/patato and cornbread man.

Thanks for letting me vent/no intentions to make any one mad/or take away from what they post on this board.
I envy the people that do lose weight and can keep it off I know they look and feel better bout them selfs..being healthy is something I guess I don't know what that feels like.
Maybe some day I will.

Old 03-04-2004, 11:53 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

You have a lot of weight to lose, but it took a long time to get there. If it were me, and this is what I have done, is to address the reason why I gained the weight, what I was missing, emotionally that caused me to replace the emotions with food. I found that #1, I loved chocolate and just couldn't give it up. That is my down fall. I had to give it up though when I went on a raw food diet, drats.

The doctor told me, when I complained about my weight, dieting in tricky. You can eat all that you want to eat if you can exercise it off. At first the body will try to hold onto the fat so you have to change your metabolism. That is hard to do at age fifty. Then you have to decide to eat small portions six times a day, not three meals a day, and eat nothing after seven at night or two hours before bedtime. That is hard when you are at work.

I have seen so many people lose weight with a the Adkins diet but I wonder if it stays off. I can't see clogging my arteries with all of that fat. Plus, I love carrot juice too much to give it up for a diet.

With so many of us eating processed and fast food, weight seems to linger. They just did a study that was published recently that stated that our race in general is bigger, according to measurements taken and the clothing manufacturers have started renaming the sizes so that people think that they are thinner than they are.

As you know, weight is a contributer to diabetes. You are taking the right steps by being concerned about your weight.

What I have found is that, nothing goes into your body unless you put it there. What you do with it after that is up to you. I would think exercise would be the number one priority. Even if you start out with one block you will quickly find yourself up to three to five miles in no time. Also, the Pilates seems to be a great way to start streching those muscles and ligaments to get you ready for the exercises which need to follow.

Dieting is an ugly word, but it is either that or what you have now.

There are a lot of great ways to diet. I chose fruits, veggies, protein and well, chocolate, but justify that chocolate with exercise.

As for a juice fast, most people think that a juice fast means store bought juice. I am not saying that you did. A juice diet usually consists of juice made in a juicer with all of the stuff that you need in it. Juice from a store usually contains sugar, frutose, or preservative. You can make a great juice with a juicer with just about anything that you can find in the produce isle and then add supplements. A juicer will keep in some of the fiber which your body needs. Taking Omega-3's with it, and adding Flax seed oil, or ground flax seed should give you your fiber.

There is a great book out there that was written by the guy who invented corn flakes. I forget the name right now but it is all about his idea of putting people on a cornflake diet. I tried it and it worked. Very interesting book. I think that the name may be "The Road to Wellville".

I have found that if I substitute soy milk (yum!!!) for dairy and then get my calcium through fruits and veggies that I have less digestive problems when on diets. Also, I make sure that I consume organic, non-fat, natural, yogurt when my stomach is protesting something that I ate. I make sure that it doesn't contain sugar or aspartane.

Chin, up. It takes time.

Old 03-05-2004, 05:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by injured betty
You have a lot of weight to lose, but it took a long time to get there. If it were me, and this is what I have done, is to address the reason why I gained the weight, what I was missing, emotionally that caused me to replace the emotions with food. I found that #1, I loved chocolate and just couldn't give it up. That is my down fall. I had to give it up though when I went on a raw food diet, drats.

The doctor told me, when I complained about my weight, dieting in tricky. You can eat all that you want to eat if you can exercise it off. At first the body will try to hold onto the fat so you have to change your metabolism. That is hard to do at age fifty. Then you have to decide to eat small portions six times a day, not three meals a day, and eat nothing after seven at night or two hours before bedtime. That is hard when you are at work.

I have seen so many people lose weight with a the Adkins diet but I wonder if it stays off. I can't see clogging my arteries with all of that fat. Plus, I love carrot juice too much to give it up for a diet.

With so many of us eating processed and fast food, weight seems to linger. They just did a study that was published recently that stated that our race in general is bigger, according to measurements taken and the clothing manufacturers have started renaming the sizes so that people think that they are thinner than they are.

As you know, weight is a contributer to diabetes. You are taking the right steps by being concerned about your weight.

What I have found is that, nothing goes into your body unless you put it there. What you do with it after that is up to you. I would think exercise would be the number one priority. Even if you start out with one block you will quickly find yourself up to three to five miles in no time. Also, the Pilates seems to be a great way to start streching those muscles and ligaments to get you ready for the exercises which need to follow.

Dieting is an ugly word, but it is either that or what you have now.

There are a lot of great ways to diet. I chose fruits, veggies, protein and well, chocolate, but justify that chocolate with exercise.

As for a juice fast, most people think that a juice fast means store bought juice. I am not saying that you did. A juice diet usually consists of juice made in a juicer with all of the stuff that you need in it. Juice from a store usually contains sugar, frutose, or preservative. You can make a great juice with a juicer with just about anything that you can find in the produce isle and then add supplements. A juicer will keep in some of the fiber which your body needs. Taking Omega-3's with it, and adding Flax seed oil, or ground flax seed should give you your fiber.

There is a great book out there that was written by the guy who invented corn flakes. I forget the name right now but it is all about his idea of putting people on a cornflake diet. I tried it and it worked. Very interesting book. I think that the name may be "The Road to Wellville".

I have found that if I substitute soy milk (yum!!!) for dairy and then get my calcium through fruits and veggies that I have less digestive problems when on diets. Also, I make sure that I consume organic, non-fat, natural, yogurt when my stomach is protesting something that I ate. I make sure that it doesn't contain sugar or aspartane.

Chin, up. It takes time.
Thank you injured betty,
I know you mean well, and I'll certainly take into concideration your advise.

Problem is I eat the correct portions of food maybe not the right foods?? but I try to have well balance meals/veggies/meats and not to much I don't think that I actually over eat? I thought for a long time my thyroid was my trouble or my metabolisum system was not working? but according to all the Dr's that s not the reason? they can't tell me why? only just get on a diet is all???? duh!

Anyway I read your post and it's incouraging to me I'll do some of them things you mention and we'll see whaT HAPPENS??
Thank You very much.

Old 03-05-2004, 06:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

btw, That corn flake diet sounds interesting? I know theres a movie out called "The Road to Wellville" with actors Anthony Hopkins- Alan Parker-and Bridget Fonda but never heard about the book? is it the cornflake dieting book?

Old 03-05-2004, 06:12 PM   #7
Inactive

prometheus HB User

I haven't read all of this, but yes fasting is not a good way to lose weight..and losing weight should absolutely not be the motivation for a fast.

It only slows your metabolism down anyway. My metabolism is so slow now, but that is very good for my purposes.

Last edited by prometheus; 03-05-2004 at 06:14 PM.

Old 03-05-2004, 07:26 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman
Thank you injured betty,
I know you mean well, and I'll certainly take into concideration your advise.

Problem is I eat the correct portions of food maybe not the right foods?? but I try to have well balance meals/veggies/meats and not to much I don't think that I actually over eat? I thought for a long time my thyroid was my trouble or my metabolisum system was not working? but according to all the Dr's that s not the reason? they can't tell me why? only just get on a diet is all???? duh!

Anyway I read your post and it's incouraging to me I'll do some of them things you mention and we'll see whaT HAPPENS??
Thank You very much.
Sometimes when I write things they don't come out as polite as I mean them to be. That is why I try to use a lot of smiley faces. Hope that I didn't offend you.

I put on more weight that I have ever had back ten years ago when I was depressed and just stayed in bed for about six months. It was hard to lose. I have those ten pounds of weight on right now that sneaks up on you during menopause. I can't shake them for the life of me.

I keep telling myself that the only way to lose weight is to not put in more than I can burn off. Six small meals a day, grazing seems to work to stay at the weight I am at. Walking burns off weight quickly. I do stretches to stay limber and for bone health. I walk to work off the indulgences that I take. For instance I eat frosting right out of the can, for my chocolate fix. That works for my depression.

As for diet, the one from the island, I forget the name of it, seems to work and keep the weight off for most of the people that I know. Darn, my mind went blank on the name of it. I know that it included a lot of fish and veggies/fruits.

The most important thing is consistency and positive thinking and not to rush it. IMHO the Atkins diet rushes it too much and Adkins did die from a heart ailment.

I have found that if I keep a diary of the things that I eat and read all of the labels it makes dieting easier for me.

Have you seen Oprah lately? I think that she said that she exercised her weight off as well as having a dietician.

Each person has a different set of circumstances. What works for one person might not be right for another. I thought that I had found a plan that worked for me until I hit the magic age of 50 and then my metabolism changed. With a back injury it made it even harder to lose weight as I have to really watch how I move now.

My husband's motto is, "When you are full, push your plate away no matter what it is, what it cost, just walk away." I had found that hard to do in the past but not anymore. Also, my granny told me, "You can eat a bucket of brocolli and not gain a pound". So, if I am really hungry, it is brocolli for me.

Everything in moderation

There are some really good dieting tips out there for balancing your body while losing weight so that you stay healthy while doing it. I have some put away that I will cut and paste for you later if you would live.

I saw the actress that won for the movie Monster on tv today. She gained 30 pounds for the movie. She said that she wished that there was a magic pill to lose the weight, but there really isn't so she used the treadmill alot. The treadmill eats calories while building muscles and toning.

Good luck and my thoughts are with you 'cause I know that dieting is a hard thing to do.

Old 03-06-2004, 08:20 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by injured betty
Sometimes when I write things they don't come out as polite as I mean them to be. That is why I try to use a lot of smiley faces. Hope that I didn't offend you.

I put on more weight that I have ever had back ten years ago when I was depressed and just stayed in bed for about six months. It was hard to lose. I have those ten pounds of weight on right now that sneaks up on you during menopause. I can't shake them for the life of me.

I keep telling myself that the only way to lose weight is to not put in more than I can burn off. Six small meals a day, grazing seems to work to stay at the weight I am at. Walking burns off weight quickly. I do stretches to stay limber and for bone health. I walk to work off the indulgences that I take. For instance I eat frosting right out of the can, for my chocolate fix. That works for my depression.

As for diet, the one from the island, I forget the name of it, seems to work and keep the weight off for most of the people that I know. Darn, my mind went blank on the name of it. I know that it included a lot of fish and veggies/fruits.

The most important thing is consistency and positive thinking and not to rush it. IMHO the Atkins diet rushes it too much and Adkins did die from a heart ailment.

I have found that if I keep a diary of the things that I eat and read all of the labels it makes dieting easier for me.

Have you seen Oprah lately? I think that she said that she exercised her weight off as well as having a dietician.

Each person has a different set of circumstances. What works for one person might not be right for another. I thought that I had found a plan that worked for me until I hit the magic age of 50 and then my metabolism changed. With a back injury it made it even harder to lose weight as I have to really watch how I move now.

My husband's motto is, "When you are full, push your plate away no matter what it is, what it cost, just walk away." I had found that hard to do in the past but not anymore. Also, my granny told me, "You can eat a bucket of brocolli and not gain a pound". So, if I am really hungry, it is brocolli for me.

Everything in moderation

There are some really good dieting tips out there for balancing your body while losing weight so that you stay healthy while doing it. I have some put away that I will cut and paste for you later if you would live.

I saw the actress that won for the movie Monster on tv today. She gained 30 pounds for the movie. She said that she wished that there was a magic pill to lose the weight, but there really isn't so she used the treadmill alot. The treadmill eats calories while building muscles and toning.

Good luck and my thoughts are with you 'cause I know that dieting is a hard thing to do.
Hi, No Mam you didn't offened me at all? I appreciate you and everyone on these boards!!!...with everyday life experinces that people have from day to day a person can get some good old fashion information, with an undertsanding that people are different! thats why I love coming to these health boards.
It really takes a lot to get me upset...heck sometimes I may get pretty up set and spit my bubble gum out....lol....thats bout as up set as I can get!... LOL.........I'm a real eazy person to get along with.

I have bought Dr Atkins new Diet Revolution Book.......I can't follow it just like it says but my main reason for the getting the book it has a Carbohydrate Gram Counter and gettin information has how the body metabolizes its self/and why!..........Like you said "dieting is a hard thing to do"
Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated/I 've done just about everything there is to lose weight and I'm open to pretty much anything right now....I've done hit Rock bottom, so don't you ever think you will offend me...........
Thank you for your much vaulable time.

Old 03-07-2004, 06:59 AM   #10
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

An excellent book to read is the New Glucose Revolution, it gives information on a low glycemic diet. You're eating very high glycemic foods that will keep the weight piling on plus put you at risk for a host of other diseases. If you tried ATkins and it didn't do the trick or you feel uncomfortable with it then there are other options.

Closed Thread