It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2004, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

woodahs HB User
High fiber food to eat with omelet?

I'm looking for something high fiber to eat with a ham & cheese omelet for breakfast. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 03-06-2004, 09:28 AM   #2

Shane S HB User
Re: High fiber food to eat with omelet?

Kashi GoLean, although that's really a meal in itself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2004, 11:41 AM   #3

mugal2003 HB User

You might want to try Fiber one cereal, it's def. high in fiber and very low cal (80 calories for 1/2 cup) Maybe you could eat a handful of that, or maybe mix it in with some lite yogurt. If you don't want to overdue your calorie intake with eating fiber, there's always the fiber pills/mixes (Metamucil). With your omelet, try mixing some broccoli/cauliflower in it, those two are high in fiber and low cal, and def. add's to the taste of your omelet.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-07-2004, 12:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I like to put a about 1/2 cup of asparagus cuts & tips (the end pieces)....inside my omelet with ham......asparagus is pretty low in carbs and not high in calories but not to high in fiber!!!.... 1/2 cup is like 1 gram of dietary fiber! .... but it has pretty good taste and you get a lot of good nutrition from eatting asparagus.

It's pretty high in sodium/ you may want to watch out for that if you have any heart problems?
I just use the store brand in the can from wal-mart.

Based on about 4/5 pieces or 1/2 cup
Total carbs 3 g ...1%
sodium....430g...18%<<<<
Dietary Fiber 1 g...4 %
cholesterol....0%
saturated fat...0%
vitamin A bout... 8%
vitamin c bout... 25%
protein bout... 2 g
sugars bout.... 2 g
Iron bout....4%
calcium... 0%
(Breakfast only)
Maybe when your eatting a low carb breakfast like this fiber "SHOULD NOT" play a big roll in your daily nutrition at this meal time? so 1 gram of fiber should be satisfactory! Unless your eatting breads too?
The sodium you may need to watch tho???????

If you don't have a taste for asparagus...then just scratch all the above...lol

Last edited by chevyman; 03-07-2004 at 12:45 AM.

Old 03-07-2004, 07:00 AM   #5
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

How about besides adding veggies adding a couple slices of whole grain toasted bread. Some sliced fruit would be a good idea also.

Last edited by girlygirly; 03-07-2004 at 07:01 AM.

Old 03-07-2004, 05:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Or you could add some greens (spinach or kale) or even okra (it's really quite good in an omelet, and if you saute it whole it does not get so slimy).

Old 03-07-2004, 08:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg
Or you could add some greens (spinach or kale) or even okra (it's really quite good in an omelet, and if you saute it whole it does not get so slimy).

Aunt Judy,

I value your views so much, but okra in an omelet????

The spinach idea is a great one, though, I'll grant you that. A spinach and cheddar omelet is terrific.

Spinach is high in iron, lycopene (one of the few good sources that is not red!), calcium although this can unfortunately be bound as oxalates, and sex appeal. Okay, one of those claims was unsupported by the evidence. I think.

sean

Old 03-08-2004, 03:47 PM   #8
(female)

woodahs HB User

Wow, thanks so much for all of your suggestions! I will definitely try to use them all

Old 03-08-2004, 06:01 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodahs
I'm looking for something high fiber to eat with a ham & cheese omelet for breakfast. Anyone have any suggestions?
How about a serving of plain oatmeal?
An Apple?
Add some broccoli to the omelet?

Old 03-09-2004, 08:36 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
but okra in an omelet????
He, he, he . . . your so sweet!

I should have prefaced that with the fact that I LOVE okra (and I'm a yankee even). I wouldn't have thought so either, but I guess it must have been the only veggie around one morning and I tried it . . . yeah, do a little saute thing with okra and onions or salsa then add the eggs. Admittedly, I've never done it with ham, but figured since okra and ham are served together so much in southern cuisine that it would work.

Closed Thread