It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Sore tongue/canker sores diet related

Does anyone know if canker sores/tongue sores can be diet related? Such as too many sweets, not enough of something, etc...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2004, 08:20 AM   #2
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User
Re: Sore tongue/canker sores diet related

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer1
Does anyone know if canker sores/tongue sores can be diet related? Such as too many sweets, not enough of something, etc...
Yep! Canker sores can be caused by a vitamin or mineral deficiency, supplements of vitamins C and B complex, as well as folic acid, iron, and zinc, may help.

Several studies have found a high incidence of iron and B vitamin deficiency among people with recurrent mouth ulcers. Supplementing with B vitamins-300 mg vitamin B1, 20 mg vitamin B2, and 150 mg vitamin B6-has been reported to provide some people with relief. Thiamine (B1) deficiency, specifically, has been linked to an increased risk.

Take 4,000 - 5,000 milligrams of vitamin C daily during outbreaks of canker sores and at least 500 milligrams daily as a way of preventing them.

Zinc lozenges help resolve canker sores by supporting the immune system.

Bottom line: your diet needs improvin'!! Eat more fresh vegetables and fruit, less highly processed stuff loaded with trans fats. Take a high quality multivitamin daily. Not only should the canker sores go away, you'll have more <--energy. LOL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2004, 11:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

I found out that canker sores were also caused by sodium lauryl solfate found in most toothpastes. So, I swithced to Biotene and have not had a canker sore yet...been months...and I used to get them all the time!

Old 03-09-2004, 06:02 AM   #4

punkin HB User

I have heard that acid, as in tomatoes, grapefruit, etc can also cause cancer sores. Hope this helps

Old 03-10-2004, 08:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoar2004
Yep! Canker sores can be caused by a vitamin or mineral deficiency, supplements of vitamins C and B complex, as well as folic acid, iron, and zinc, may help.

Several studies have found a high incidence of iron and B vitamin deficiency among people with recurrent mouth ulcers. Supplementing with B vitamins-300 mg vitamin B1, 20 mg vitamin B2, and 150 mg vitamin B6-has been reported to provide some people with relief. Thiamine (B1) deficiency, specifically, has been linked to an increased risk.

Take 4,000 - 5,000 milligrams of vitamin C daily during outbreaks of canker sores and at least 500 milligrams daily as a way of preventing them.

Zinc lozenges help resolve canker sores by supporting the immune system.

Bottom line: your diet needs improvin'!! Eat more fresh vegetables and fruit, less highly processed stuff loaded with trans fats. Take a high quality multivitamin daily. Not only should the canker sores go away, you'll have more <--energy. LOL

Hi! Thanks for the reply. It seems like everytime I take a high volume of vitamin C, I get canker sores because of too much acid? Also, my multi vitamin says that I get 100% of everything else that you mentioned excluding the zinc...should I take additional dosage?

Old 03-11-2004, 08:03 AM   #6
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer1
Hi! Thanks for the reply. It seems like everytime I take a high volume of vitamin C, I get canker sores because of too much acid? Also, my multi vitamin says that I get 100% of everything else that you mentioned excluding the zinc...should I take additional dosage?
well...if you feel you suffer from "frequent" sores, I'd add a good B complex (if you take a multivitamin in the morning, take the B complex in the evening) AND some zinc.
But truly, you can probably reduce the incidence/outbreaks simply by improving your diet

> B6 rich foods include spinach, sunflower seeds, fish, tomatoes, banana, lean protein
> B1 rich foods include peanuts, whole grains, lean protein (and especially, liver)
> B2 rich foods include cranberries, mushrooms, asparagus, romaine lettuce
> zinc rich foods include poultry, seafood, barley

(I'm seeing salads in your future! Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, sunflower seeds, steamed then chilled asparagus and the whole thing topped with some grilled chicken or shrimp. YUM!! )

Old 03-11-2004, 07:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoar2004
well...if you feel you suffer from "frequent" sores, I'd add a good B complex (if you take a multivitamin in the morning, take the B complex in the evening) AND some zinc.
But truly, you can probably reduce the incidence/outbreaks simply by improving your diet

> B6 rich foods include spinach, sunflower seeds, fish, tomatoes, banana, lean protein
> B1 rich foods include peanuts, whole grains, lean protein (and especially, liver)
> B2 rich foods include cranberries, mushrooms, asparagus, romaine lettuce
> zinc rich foods include poultry, seafood, barley

(I'm seeing salads in your future! Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, sunflower seeds, steamed then chilled asparagus and the whole thing topped with some grilled chicken or shrimp. YUM!! )

That's funny....thank you!!!!!

Old 04-08-2004, 09:07 PM   #8

shembop HB User

I too have found that every time I take Vitamin C I get Canker sores without fail.
I used to (and still would) love Orange juice, but now get ferocious cankers sores from it. I also get them from vitamins sporting Vitamin B and C combined.
Drinks fortified with Vitamin C give me the same problem.
I have not found relief for this either, as everywhere I turn people tell me that Vitamin C will help prevent cold sores, when I've proven that Ascorbic acid - not citric acid causes them for me.

Old 04-08-2004, 10:12 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

I too have found that taking vitamin C causes them for me too!!!!

Old 04-09-2004, 08:27 AM   #10
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Canker sores can be from food intolerances. For instance an allergy to wheat and grains (gluten). It is called celiac disease. You may want to look it up. Cold sores can also be from a virus in your body.

Your vitamins have the MINIMUM daily requirements, that means the minimum to prevent disease such as scurvey and rickets. If you are adding too much vitamin c the body will expel the excess. You will also know if you are getting too much because you will get diarrhea.

Old 08-20-2004, 03:35 PM   #11

kristy lee HB User

I don't know anything about diet and canker sores in general but I do know that acidic foods will make canker sores much worse for many people. When I get them, I avoid anything like vinaigrette salad dressings, orange juice, etc., and I slap in a Cankermelt right away.

Old 08-20-2004, 05:36 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

Canker sores are related to celiac disease..sorry to tell yoy guys but, the real source of you problem is the Gluten..i had these all my life and, never knew why..i could never eat tomatoes, oranges, wine vinegar, apples..all thses things..i've iliminated gluten from my diet and, now i can eat whatever i want..im talking about fruits and, veggies, meats(all fresh)..cheeses, yougrts..just about anything good for your health..

I hope this brings good news to you..

PS: check up symptoms of celiac disease

don't worry its not that bad, just a change of diet..

good luck to you

Closed Thread