It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2004, 11:04 AM   #1

linus#1 HB User
Question About Water.....

Does drinking a lot of water after a meal speed up digestion rate??

I'm trying to drink more water and less soda...it's tough...I'm addicted!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 03-12-2004, 12:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

stormy78 HB User
Re: Question About Water.....

Water can speed up metabolism and help aid in digestion, but as far as speeding it up, I'm not sure. Best to sip water with your dinner or any meal for that matter. Drinking too fast can make you feel bloated to no end. Hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2004, 12:51 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus#1
Does drinking a lot of water after a meal speed up digestion rate??

I'm trying to drink more water and less soda...it's tough...I'm addicted!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Just stands to reason that that more water you put in your body the better the digestion, the fuller that you feel, less food, and makes it easier on your stomach. As a society we consume too much food.

Soda is addicting. It is a hard habit to break. I have gone one week now without a soda. I stand at the frig with the door open, craving. My husband finally cut down from six sodas a day to two.

Soda makes ya hungry, is not good for your bones and teeth, and is not great on your stomach, but you must know that as you are trying to quit

If I wanted to know the answer to your question, I might try *water and digestion* in a search engine such as webcrawler and see what comes up. (I use a lot of search engines so I am not partial to that one or any others.)

Old 03-13-2004, 03:32 AM   #4
Inactive

zip2play HB User

linus,

NO, a lot of water with your meals will impede digestion. The slow digestion is caused by the dilution of the stomach acid and digestive enzymes that are required. If slowed down enough, the food can begin to ferment and cause digestive upset!

Drink a huge bunch of water a half hour BEFORE you eat and it's AOK!

Last edited by zip2play; 03-13-2004 at 03:34 AM.

Old 03-13-2004, 06:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

People are uniformly certain that we must drink huge amounts of water to lose weight, to build muscle (that is, to put on weight), to be healthy. There is no evidence that I know of for any of this, although being underhydrated is clearly not a great thing.

In particular, there is no evidence that lots of water helps dieters. Too much water can risk running low on salt and other electrolytes. Sure you should drink water, and sure many people drink too little. But don't obsess over it, and don't expect it to make you slimmer. (Or bulkier, either, if you're lifting weights. It's the exercise that does that.)

sean

Old 03-13-2004, 12:14 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
linus,

NO, a lot of water with your meals will impede digestion. The slow digestion is caused by the dilution of the stomach acid and digestive enzymes that are required. If slowed down enough, the food can begin to ferment and cause digestive upset!

Drink a huge bunch of water a half hour BEFORE you eat and it's AOK!
thank you. I meant to add that to my post but forgot, don't drink with meals.

I drink two 64 ounces of water a day. I fill up two water bottles and drink them throughout the day but not with meals. I drink carrot juice or apple juice with meals.

Water really is the fountain of youth

Old 03-13-2004, 07:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight
thank you. I meant to add that to my post but forgot, don't drink with meals.

I drink two 64 ounces of water a day. I fill up two water bottles and drink them throughout the day but not with meals. I drink carrot juice or apple juice with meals.

Water really is the fountain of youth
First, there is virtually no difference in hydration effect between juice and water. So, you ARE drinking water with your meals. And a good thing it is, too, as swallowing is difficult for most of us if we don't keep the mouth and oesophagus moist. Nor will water or juice or soup or tea or coffee slow "dilute the stomach juices" or whatever.

Of course, you have chosen a very high calorie source for your water (most apple juices have as much sugar as many sodas).

And, for that matter, to go back to the strange advice in the earlier post, fermentation is a common, in fact necessary part of digestion, and it certainly does not take place in the stomach, which has the lowest ph (most acidic) environment of almost any biological habitat. It is a very rare microbe that can live there at all, (h. pylori being the most notable exception) never mind ferment anything.

It is in the small and large intestine that fermentation takes place, and we need it to, it is one of the key breakdown processes that yields enrgy and nutrients from food. Further, we want liquid in the intestine, plenty of it, otherwise constipation inevitably follows. And, how much liquid you have in the small and large intestines is not heavily affected by how much you take with meals rather than between meals. If affected by this at all.

People just make up stuff, or worse, read it on the internet, and then believe it must be scientifically correct, 'cause it seems so logical. But that doesn't make it so.

For sure you should not dehydrate. If you exercise, especially if vigorously or if in the heat, you should drink plenty of fluids. But nobody needs to be drinking all these liters of water we are being told to down--100 ounces a day, and so on.
There is enough to worry about in the world without adding this one.

sean

Old 03-13-2004, 11:05 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=sean]First, there is virtually no difference in hydration effect between juice and water. So, you ARE drinking water with your meals. And a good thing it is, too, as swallowing is difficult for most of us if we don't keep the mouth and oesophagus moist. Nor will water or juice or soup or tea or coffee slow "dilute the stomach juices" or whatever.

Of course, you have chosen a very high calorie source for your water (most apple juices have as much sugar as many sodas).

And, for that matter, to go back to the strange advice in the earlier post, fermentation is a common, in fact necessary part of digestion, and it certainly does not take place in the stomach, which has the lowest ph (most acidic) environment of almost any biological habitat. It is a very rare microbe that can live there at all, (h. pylori being the most notable exception) never mind ferment anything.[QUOTE=sean]

I drink natural juice so the only sugar that I am getting is fructose. It is also not strained so I am getting fiber at the same time. It is like eating a liquid apple. Notice I also drink carrot juice, same story, natural.

I don't drink water with meals, not due to what the other guy said, but because I drink juice and don't like to fill up on water.

I really do think that we need 64 ounces of water a day. What could it hurt if I am wrong? Hydration is pretty important for the skin, bowels, etc. Isn't the body made up of something like 80% water?

FWIW: I don't believe stuff that I read on the net, neccessarily. I have been drinking this amount of water for years. I listen to the needs of my body. I like to flush the toxins and I figure that process entails water. I drink spring water only.

Granted there is a lot to worry about in the world, but the first thing that I think about when I wake up in the morning is myself and my health, cause basically, that is all that you really have, right?

If I am not peeing clear liquids then I figure that I need more water

It is in the small and large intestine that fermentation takes place, and we need it to, it is one of the key breakdown processes that yields enrgy and nutrients from food. Further, we want liquid in the intestine, plenty of it, otherwise constipation inevitably follows. And, how much liquid you have in the small and large intestines is not heavily affected by how much you take with meals rather than between meals. If affected by this at all.

People just make up stuff, or worse, read it on the internet, and then believe it must be scientifically correct, 'cause it seems so logical. But that doesn't make it so.

For sure you should not dehydrate. If you exercise, especially if vigorously or if in the heat, you should drink plenty of fluids. But nobody needs to be drinking all these liters of water we are being told to down--100 ounces a day, and so on.
There is enough to worry about in the world without adding this one.

Old 03-14-2004, 05:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

As zip2play said, it's best to drink a glass or two of water a half hour before eating. As a general rule, if you take your weight in pounds and divide it in two, that will give you the number of ounces of water you should be drinking each day.

A good book to read on this subject is "Your Body's Many Cries For Water", written by F. Batmanghelidj, M.D. Chronic dehydration becomes far more likely as we get older, since we tend to lose our sense of thirst with age. This can contribute to the onset of many age-related degenerative diseases.

Old 03-15-2004, 11:38 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
As zip2play said, it's best to drink a glass or two of water a half hour before eating. As a general rule, if you take your weight in pounds and divide it in two, that will give you the number of ounces of water you should be drinking each day.

A good book to read on this subject is "Your Body's Many Cries For Water", written by F. Batmanghelidj, M.D. Chronic dehydration becomes far more likely as we get older, since we tend to lose our sense of thirst with age. This can contribute to the onset of many age-related degenerative diseases.
Great answer!!!!! I am going to check out this book.

It just makes so much sense to drink water. Without water there would be no life, look at Mars for example......

I weigh 120 pounds and drink sixty four ounces of water day, just about right. Can you imagine how much my three hundred and sixty five pound friend has to drink? But, he told me yesterday that he is doing it and in the last year has lost over one hundred pounds.

Old 03-16-2004, 12:31 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

[QUOTE=moonlight[COLOR=RoyalBlue]
I drink natural juice so the only sugar that I am getting is fructose. It is also not strained so I am getting fiber at the same time. It is like eating a liquid apple. Notice I also drink carrot juice, same story, natural.

I don't drink water with meals, not due to what the other guy said, but because I drink juice and don't like to fill up on water.

I really do think that we need 64 ounces of water a day. What could it hurt if I am wrong? Hydration is pretty important for the skin, bowels, etc. Isn't the body made up of something like 80% water?

FWIW: I don't believe stuff that I read on the net, neccessarily. I have been drinking this amount of water for years. I listen to the needs of my body. I like to flush the toxins and I figure that process entails water. I drink spring water only.

Granted there is a lot to worry about in the world, but the first thing that I think about when I wake up in the morning is myself and my health, cause basically, that is all that you really have, right?

If I am not peeing clear liquids then I figure that I need more water

Well,I was referring to "natural" non-sugar added juices when I said they contain about as much sugar as most sodas. Read the labels.
Some more than others, of course.

I won't get into the fructose issue here, but except for the fact that it is sweeter to the taste than sucrose (which is precisely one half fructose), and thererfore we might use less, it has no advantage over other sugars, and in fact may add some health issues to sugar's already bad reputation.

Because so much of the fruit is discarded in making juices, they are in fact usually a much more concentrated source of sugar than are the fruits themselves. Yes, this includes juices that include fiber.

Is juice healthful? yes, in moderation of course it can be. I just don't think you should ignore the high sugar, high calorie aspect if it is a major source of the day's liquids. That's all.

64 ounces seems reasonable. Pardon me if I over-reacted to what I see as fetishizing water intake in some folks' posts. It's not a magic elixir, it's water. Know what Imean?

If you are peeing clear, however, you may be overhydrating. "straw colored" is the usual watch word--pale yellow, I guess that is--for proper hydration. Just a rule of thumb, though.

sean

Old 03-16-2004, 01:36 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I think that if you juice the fruit and veggie yourself, that you are getting more benefits from the juice. Sure, you are getting a lot of sugar content, but not in the same sense as if you had juice with sugar added. Sugar is processed but we won't get into that here. I am pretty careful in regards to how much I drink as it has a high caloric value, especially apple and cherry

If I were watching my weight I would made a trade in what I drink and switch to a less caloric juice. I was just reading today that we need seven servings of fruits and veggies a day. I prefer mine in juice w/pulp form You would be amazed at what you can juice.

I don't do sodas as they leach calcuim from the bones. So, I am better off with a juicer. If ya use a juicer at home then you know exactly what you are getting, especially if you are able to grow your own fruits and veggies.

As for peeing clear. This is a goal one mine that I try to keep up with. After a lifetime of kidney infections I have learned that the way around them is to drink until, well, as the old saying goes, "I can feel my teeth floating". It can't hurt ya. I have never thought about overhydration.

Old 03-16-2004, 06:40 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight
I think that if you juice the fruit and veggie yourself, that you are getting more benefits from the juice. Sure, you are getting a lot of sugar content, but not in the same sense as if you had juice with sugar added. Sugar is processed but we won't get into that here. I am pretty careful in regards to how much I drink as it has a high caloric value, especially apple and cherry

If I were watching my weight I would made a trade in what I drink and switch to a less caloric juice. I was just reading today that we need seven servings of fruits and veggies a day. I prefer mine in juice w/pulp form You would be amazed at what you can juice.

I don't do sodas as they leach calcuim from the bones. So, I am better off with a juicer. If ya use a juicer at home then you know exactly what you are getting, especially if you are able to grow your own fruits and veggies.

As for peeing clear. This is a goal one mine that I try to keep up with. After a lifetime of kidney infections I have learned that the way around them is to drink until, well, as the old saying goes, "I can feel my teeth floating". It can't hurt ya. I have never thought about overhydration.

Hi again,

Didn't mean to seem that I was endorsing or encouraging sodas! Just reminding that "natural" etc. is not an end to a discussion.

By the way, to support your choice of juices, I'm sure you know that cranberry juice (the real thing, not the "cocktails") is considered a deterrent to urinary infectgions.

sean

Old 03-16-2004, 07:29 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Thanks for the advice regarding cranberry juice, drank so much of it I can't look at a cranberry

Old 03-18-2004, 12:18 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by injured betty
Thanks for the advice regarding cranberry juice, drank so much of it I can't look at a cranberry
Hi injured betty,
just wanted to say hi to you and hope you and yours are doing good.
good to see ya post. I don't know how to go back to the old post I been away for over a week..sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
Take Care

Closed Thread