It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2004, 08:03 AM   #1

chimpy HB User
Tricks for cheating... How to eat fun food...

Well, I like to eat as much as everyone; however, that's a bad path when you only eat what you want. I reward myself with "treats" for water consumption.

I like a soda or even a hot chocolate, or even a drink from the mall every now and then.

It's not much of a formula, but If I'm going to be in a situation where I think I'd enjoy a treat, I just have to drink a certain amount of water prior to doing so.

Now I try to drink a good amount of water every day, but this is extra!

If I want a juice or soda, I have to drink twice as much water first!

I I want a richer drink, I have to consume 3-5 times as much water first.

It's easy, and you can actually decide that hey! The small Dunkachino or whatever is a great treat, and I don't have to feel bad about it.

You also crave smaller portions... And they are satisfying!

I can also apply this to food to some extent, but don't be crazy!

What ticks for cheating do you use? Share your tips!

Old 03-18-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Re: Tricks for cheating... How to eat fun food...

Hello, I think you're sort of hitting the nail on the head in reguards to dieting and deprivation. I think it's really great for someone to have a strong will and can stick to a very strict diet 24 hours/day-365 days/year. Unfortunately, you really can't expect everyone to follow suit. Deprivation of things you love or emotionally crave are usually the reasons why so many people (not all people) fail in the dieting game.

I don't quite understand the water thing that you're doing, but hey it works for you and that is all that matters. I would imagine all that water would fill you up.

The method that works for me is scheduling a cheat date; however, I'm not on a diet to loose weight...My diet is for my own personal health. I try not to cheat more than once per month or so. I only pick one cheat and not an entire day of cheats, which forces me to be very selective in what I am going to cheat with. The day of the cheat, I make sure that the highest amount of fat (I'm a low fatter.) is only the cheat item. Everything else that day is extremely low in fat or fat free. I'm not a dessert person, so I very rarely use a dessert as a cheat. My cheats are usually one hogie, one serving of duck, or one plain hamburger happy meal. Forget the hight fat candy bars and high fat chips. I can find better substitutes for those, so I don't miss them and don't have to waste a cheat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2004, 06:26 AM   #3

chimpy HB User

Your cheats sound way too simple. Talk about self control.

I used to do "Fully Fatafied Friday" With friends. We would eat healthy all week and let fly that evening. It was fun, but It became a drag to mess up your good eating so much and has faded.

I also do cheat dates, more importantly, I do healthy eating days of the week where nothing bad goes in.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:55 AM   #4

wisegirl22 HB User

Actually, I think the water thing is a great method, and I understand how it works completely! I've actually done the same thing. Sometimes I crave orange juice, but I know that I'll end up drinking way too much (damn carbs!). So, I'll drink a glass of water first, and then I'm satisfied with less orange juice.

Sometimes if I want something sweet, I'll down a glass of water first. I might still have a little treat, but I'm not tempted to overindulge because the water is kind of bloating.

Also, it's a well known fact that if you get a craving and are able to wait 10-15 minutes before giving in, sometimes that craving is gone or isn't nearly as strong as it was. Drinking the water forces you to wait a bit before diving into impulsive snacking.

One other thing: I always allow myself to have "cheat" foods on weekends. This way, I can get through the week if I know that on the weekend I will be able to have something I want. It's like the reward at the end of a week of "being good." As long as it's in moderation, I think cheating is fine, and even necessary if you want to stay on track.

Last edited by wisegirl22; 03-26-2004 at 08:56 AM.

Closed Thread