It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2004, 05:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User
WOW!! Seafood... bad for your health?

"Every single seafood type we looked at was associated with increased risk of gout," said Dr. Hyon K. Choi, a rheumatologist at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
Does this mean I can't eat any type of meat at all.
I always thought salmon/fish was the most healthiest way to go. Good fats and proteins etc., while meat is full of saturated fats.
My father has rheumatism, so yeah there's a greater possibility I might get it. Will eating seafood increase my chances on getting it? Sigh, I can't eat nothing, how frustrating.

Alright, so it says low-fat dairy products can help decrease your chances of getting gout. Then it says...
"This is the first evidence that dairy products can be strongly protective," he added, and it's the first confirmation that gout can be triggered by foods rich in a substance called purine that's often associated with high protein levels.
Okay, what's purine? Sorry my english isn't too well, I'm actually dutch, anyway...
Does this mean most foods with lots protein increases your chances as well? I drink lots of soybean milk, a dairy product, with lots of proteins? Hmmmm..........

Plus, I'm trying to lose weight. So seafood and protein-rich foods are really a big part of my diet.

I also looked this up:

According to the team, if you eat an extra portion of beef, pork or lamb each day your risk of developing gout goes up by 21%.

If you have an extra seafood meal a week you risk goes up by 7%. Strangely, this risk is most prevalent among men who are not overweight.

If you drink one to five glasses of low-fat milk per day, your risk goes down by 43%, said Dr. Choi.

I eat fish about 4 times week, and meat once a week.
I drink a glass of milk once a day, and soy drink also once a day (soyabean milk).

PS: most protein-rich foods have a large amount of purine or something, and purine causes it. So what is purine? What's it do (besides causing gout)?
Do you reckon soybean milk is just as good as lowfat milk? Or almost as good? Cause I think it's healthier.

Last edited by justme_; 03-17-2004 at 10:03 AM. Reason: had to add something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2004, 10:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Re: WOW!! Seafood... bad for your health?

Hello, I saw that that study in the news too. It's not just seafood. It's meat too as in beef, pork, chicken, etc. They were saying that they found that people on high protein diets, especially men, have a higher risk of the gout. My father had the gout, but we were told it was from eating too much cabbage/green leafy vegies. This study makes more sense to me, since my father was a "meat and potatoes" man. He never ate any fish and didn't eat many vegies. (He hated fish and wouldn't be caught dead eating it.)

If you think that's bad, read the January 2004 issue of the EPA Environmental Perspectives Journal. (U.S. Dept. of Environmental Protection Agency) They have an article that talks about dioxins being in meat. (animal products)

I guess it would be a lot easier to just not eat anything???

Old 03-17-2004, 10:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Re: Oops! I stand corrected.

Hello, Sorry...I just re-read the article and found out that it is seafood and red meat, so we can X-out the chicken. (Red meat-beef, pork, veal, and lamb.) Here's an excerpt that I copied, which you can probably look it up in on a news website to read the whole thing...

"Low-Protein Diet Reduces Gout

Mar 12, 2004 11:21 am US/Eastern
Eating less red meat and seafood while consuming more low-fat dairy products cuts the risk of developing the painful joint condition gout by about half, according to researchers who studied the diets of thousands of men.

Eating lots of vegetables and fruit, shunning alcohol use and maintaining a normal body weight also significantly reduced the chances of getting gout, the most common form of inflammatory arthritis in men....

This is the first evidence that dairy products can be strongly protective," he added, and the first confirmation that gout can be triggered by foods rich in a substance called purine that's often associated with high protein levels....

Gout was 51 percent more likely to develop in the group with the highest seafood consumption, and 41 percent more likely in the group with the highest consumption of beef, pork and lamb, compared with the lowest consumption groups. The group with the highest consumption of low-fat dairy products was 42 percent less likely to develop gout."

Old 03-17-2004, 10:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Yeah I know, but I already knew red meat was unhealthy.

Old 03-17-2004, 10:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Yeah, I read that site. I've been looking it all up. Although I don't quite understand.
Oh and here is another thing I read:

Lots blah blah...
Foods which may be beneficial to people with gout include:
Dark berries, tofu, blah blah blah...
>>Certain fatty acids found in certain fish such as salmon, flax or olive oil, or nuts may possess some anti-inflammatory benefits.<<

So Salmon isn't the type of seafood that causes gout?

I eat of all fish, mostly salmon.

Old 03-17-2004, 11:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

First of all, this is not news. Purines are metabolized to uric acid,the key ingredient in gout crystals, and have always been known to influence the risk of gout.
Second, purines are everywhere in protein foods, including vegetable proteins. Two of the four bases that make up DNA are purines. I'd like to see someone design a diet which was free of dna.
Third, gout is not prevalent to begin with, so increasing your chances of it are a proportional increase in an unusual condition. In the 12 years of this study (it is from the jama) the researchers found a total of 730 cases, over the whole 12 years, in 47,150 persons! (About one case per 1,000 persons per year).So, what they really seem to be finding is that it is slightly less rare with certain diets than others. But not common with ANY diet. You would redesign your whole diet over such a modest finding about an admitedly painful but treatable and non-life-threatening condition?

Finally, fish is SO beneficial--and indeed at least in large part because of its anti-inflammaory oils--that to drop its cardio and other benefits (cardiovascular conditions, unlike gout, being VERY common) is nonsensical.

And fish and red meat proteins are very high quality protein, and are great sources of iron, b-12, carnitine, etc.,it should not need saying. You'd drop all this because of one report of a modest increase in incidence of a rare, minor condition like gout?

A little critical thinking is in order whenever new research findings are announced.

sean

Old 03-17-2004, 12:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Ah right, well that makes a lot of sense. Thanks

Old 03-17-2004, 02:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Oh, and by the way, soy milk is NOT a dairy product. That's why it's used as a dairy substitute.

So, if you are indeed worried about gout, and do want to achieve the protective effects (against this anyway rare condition), soy will not help.

sean

Old 03-17-2004, 06:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_
Yeah, I read that site. I've been looking it all up. Although I don't quite understand.
Oh and here is another thing I read:

Lots blah blah...
Foods which may be beneficial to people with gout include:
Dark berries, tofu, blah blah blah...
>>Certain fatty acids found in certain fish such as salmon, flax or olive oil, or nuts may possess some anti-inflammatory benefits.<<

So Salmon isn't the type of seafood that causes gout?

I eat of all fish, mostly salmon.
Those health news articles contradict themselves all the time. I believe that these news articles are being written for the American culture of overeaters. Most people who have enough money to buy it will eat a pound or more of food they like whether it is Salmon, Red Meat or whatver. I still think it is portions that is the problem rather than the food itself. The Purine is an enzyme that if you are likely to get gout, will need to be reduced for sure. But, again, if you are not seriously ill with Arthritis or other inflammatory conditions caused by excess protein based foods, then smaller portions will probably be ok. It is getting a little better now that people are getting health conscious but there was a time that people were eatening a pound of bacon or sausage for breakfast along with 2 to 4 eggs, then lunch would be a giant hamburger or large hot dog. Then dinner would be a large steak or a lot of chicken or fish. There are small amounts of proteins in vegetables as well and so we are talking some big time protein consumption. It was probably killing people's kidneys with all the excess protein to digest and clean. But, I think people are now beginning to be portion conscious. Some restaurants are not catching on though and the amount of food served is tremendously wasteful unless it can be taken home and divided among six other people.

Old 03-18-2004, 12:15 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

chevyman HB User

I think some one is feeding you a buch of lies telling you that fish and seafood is bad for you? the poster that said redmeat is unhealthy...wrong buddie....some folks may be alergic to certain foods but fish and redmats are not bad for your health? if eaten properly!
to a vegertarian maybe so?

Old 03-19-2004, 08:11 PM   #11

Korn HB User

no...don't believe PETA, there's nothing wrong with eating animals

Old 03-19-2004, 08:41 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

[QUOTE=justme
Okay, what's purine? Sorry my english isn't too well, I'm actually dutch, anyway...
[/QUOTE]

justme, I would like to tell you.. I am very surprised to learn English is not your original language.. I am American and I only speak English and YOU type it a lot better than I do. You sure spell it better than I do too. You organize your posts wonderfully. Just wanted to say I think you post great in English.

Old 03-20-2004, 12:09 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

LoL snow, i was thinking the same thing. I wish i was dutch, maybe i could type more appropriatly.

Closed Thread