It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2004, 08:16 AM   #1

carolina girls HB User
vegetarian

I am a vegetarian and I am wondering would anyone care to share anything... Just curious what anyone has to say....

Old 03-18-2004, 05:42 PM   #2

DejaBlue HB User
Re: vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina girls
I am a vegetarian and I am wondering would anyone care to share anything... Just curious what anyone has to say....
I think it's a healthy lifestyle because you eat healthier. I have been following a blood type diet that last month, and I have lost wieght and feel healthier. This way of eating excludes a lot of meat and dairy.

I have been researching that milk isn't actually all that great for you because it's made for calves, it contains lots of bacteria, and once it's been pasterized everything is lost. Milk is high in calcium and the reason is because cows eat grains and greens which provide calcium. So if we eat lots of leafy greens we can get calcium that way. Oh and the cal in milk lacks the right amount of mag to absorb the cal in the first place. Some may not agree with me but I find it reasonable. I like soy anyhow.

And the meat isn't no better because of the way the animals are raised and given shots. And by the time it's cooked a lot of valuable nutrients is lost. Well I am not completely giving up meat. I can eat fish and occasionally have turkey or chicken. But I like my grains, beans, veg's and fruits the best!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2004, 05:34 AM   #3

carolina girls HB User

Yes, I think being a vegetarian can be a healthy life style. It all depends on your preference. I choose not to eat meat because I really do not care for it. I have read numerous books on organic living ,eating raw,vegetarianism. Boy did it open my eyes to all the added "stuff" we put in our bodies.... that we really do not need. All these antibiotics , and shots that are given to these animals, you are eating that. I buy organic beef ,chicken and pork. I know some people think I am wierd, it is not for everyone... Does anyone have any non meat recipes? We eat tofu, soy, and beans. Any recommendations would be great thanks. Also any input on how to keep my body replenished with all the necessary vitamins is also appreciated. T/Y in advance

Old 03-20-2004, 09:38 AM   #4

Exile HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue
And the meat isn't no better because of the way the animals are raised and given shots.

You can find places that dont treat the animals with antibiotics or BGH(growth hormone). For example, if you have a Whole Foods Market near you, all their dairy and meats and chicken are from animals not given antibiotics, not given hormones, fed a 100% vegitarian diet (no chance of mad cow), and are all free range, or un caged(allowed to roam, not stuck six to a cage.)

Old 03-27-2004, 11:07 AM   #5

llamamuffinmama HB User

hey.
i have tons of recipes. what kind of thing are you looking for?

Old 03-27-2004, 02:27 PM   #6
Inactive

prometheus HB User

actually, just because an animal is fed its natural diet does not mean it won't have "mad cow". There is more to this disease than the general population understands. You can get it from eating wild game meat too.

Last edited by prometheus; 03-27-2004 at 03:33 PM.

Old 03-28-2004, 05:00 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Also fish and chicken can harbor MANY diseases and parasites.

Old 03-28-2004, 10:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

I think it's a healthier way of living for some but it's incredibly unfortunate that in America healthy food/organic food costs so much MORE than JUNK FOOD does! Veggies and fruits are expensive here in Connecticut....

Old 03-30-2004, 05:45 AM   #9
Inactive

prometheus HB User

they just look expensive because junk food is cheap. I don't think good food has changed in expense.

Old 03-30-2004, 06:53 PM   #10

Cutter_nomeat HB User
Question Re: vegetarian

Hey, I am A Vegetarian too...I love it, but I did it for the animals, I love animals and I felt guilty about eating them....But I have found that veggie burgers aren't very tasty...does anyone know of any good-tasting veggie burger brands?

Old 03-30-2004, 07:00 PM   #11
Inactive

prometheus HB User

personally I like organic "sunshine burgers" (the nonorganic kind doesn't taste as good), but I am always concerned about the natural oils being rancid since it is pre-heated. It tastes so good though

Old 03-30-2004, 07:03 PM   #12

llamamuffinmama HB User

my favorite veggie burgers are amy's brand california burgers! MMMmm. the all american and the texas burgers by the same company are great too.

they are vegan and delicious.

Old 04-03-2004, 12:26 PM   #13

llamamuffinmama HB User

Here is a simple but delicious recipe. These also freeze well, so you can make extra and save some for later. They are a bit like felafel in texture but with a different and exciting flavor all their own. Omitting or substituting ingredients (i.e. veggies) according to what you have lying around shakes things up a bit, too. Enjoy!

I posted this recipe since I really enjoy it, but if there's any specific kind of thing you're looking for, I'd be happy to see what I can dredge up. I love to cook and do vegetarian catering, so I have access to tons of recipes!

hearty veggie rice balls

1/4 lb. firm tofu
1/2 C. vegetable stock
2 Tbsp. rolled oat flakes
1 1/2 tsp. Bragg's Liquid Aminos OR soy sauce
1/2 C. fresh parsley
1 tsp. dried dill
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 C. bread crumbs
1/2 C. black olives, chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chipped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 C. cooked rice
1/2 C. bread crumbs (for coating)

Preheat oven to 400' F. In a blender or food processor, blend tofu, stock, oats, braggs, and parsley until well mixed. Transfer mixture to large bowl and the remaining ingredients (except for the reserved bread crumbs for coating) and mix well. Place remaining bread crumbs on a large plate. Form mixture into balls and roll in the bread crumbs. Lay on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until browned. Makes 10-15 balls depending on size.

I really like to serve these over a fresh green salad with pesto for dipping or a tahini/garlic/lemon dressing.

Closed Thread