It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 03:42 PM   #1

WishUwerehere HB User
Is it bad to take too many "oil-based" supplements?

I am taking fish oil, CLA (for weight loss) and saw palmetto (for PCOS). All of these are oil-filled capsules and I'm wondering how much fat this is adding to my diet or if it is detrimental to take too much oil for other reasons. The dosage for the fish oil and saw palmetto is 2 capsules a day and for the CLA it's 9 capsules a day If nothing else, I wonder how many calories this is adding to my diet! I know they all have different benefits, though, so I'm reluctant to cut any of them out. Anyone know anything about this?

Old 03-23-2004, 03:38 AM   #2
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Re: Is it bad to take too many "oil-based" supplements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishUwerehere
I am taking fish oil, CLA (for weight loss) and saw palmetto (for PCOS). All of these are oil-filled capsules and I'm wondering how much fat this is adding to my diet or if it is detrimental to take too much oil for other reasons. The dosage for the fish oil and saw palmetto is 2 capsules a day and for the CLA it's 9 capsules a day If nothing else, I wonder how many calories this is adding to my diet! I know they all have different benefits, though, so I'm reluctant to cut any of them out. Anyone know anything about this?
Many forms of fat are very healthy. It is low fat or no fat that is very unhealthy. Many forms of saturated fat are good for you (I know that this comment is going against the status quo but look it up, the facts speak for themselves). The fats to avoid are trans fats, soy oil, canola oil, cottonseed oil,and vegetable oils since they are processed at very high temps and are deodorized (because they become rancid), and bleached.Eating Fat does not make fat, just as eating foods with cholesterol does not give you cholesterol. The capsules you are taking are excellent for your health. I wouldn't be too worried about the fat content or the calories from these pills.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2004, 05:15 AM   #3

WishUwerehere HB User

Thanks for the info, girlygirl!

Old 03-23-2004, 06:01 AM   #4
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Wish,

All fats tally in at about 100 calories per Tbsp (ballpark-13 grams). It takes very many of the largest capsules (near 1 inch) to tally that high. Usually the biggest caps are 1 gram (1000 mg.) each.
I count calories so my tsp. of cod liver oil is 40 calories and my Tbsp of lecithin is 40,
virtually all fat calories (95)....and I dutifully record them along with everything else I eat!

Old 03-23-2004, 06:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

The only caution I'm aware of is that fish oil can slow the clotting time of your blood. My dad was taking fish oil and had emergency bypass surgery. It took them awhile in the operating room to get the bleeding from surgery stopped.

Old 03-23-2004, 01:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

I agree with the advice that the capsules are a small amount of fat, and should not burdenyou at all. These are healthy fats--especially the fish oil.

I don't agree that soy, canola, or other vegetable oils are bad for you, are processed at high temps, or are bleached. These two processes MAY be applied to some oils, but they are actually not cheap, and not common. To be more sure, however, you can get coldpressed versions of almost any type of vegetable oil if you want to, at a health food store if not at your supermarket. Read the labels.

Many vegetable oils, such as extra virgin olive, and most nut oils, are cold pressed or steam derived, and excessive heat is not used even in commercial brands--its just too expensive.

More to the point, the immune-suppressing effect of polyunstaturated oils is modest, is present only in very high doses, and is most true of the oils which are otherwise considered the most health-promoting, flaxseed oil and fish oils.
[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=12716684[/url]
see also:
[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=A bstract&list_uids=11237929[/url]

The immune-modifying effects, it seems apply only to some oils, and are modest or absent at dietary levels of intake. furthermore, the immune effects are allied to the anti-inflammatory effects of these same oils which are a) more pronounced and b) much more important. It is the anti-inflammatory effects of fish oil, for example, which are now hypothesized to explain its reduction in heart attack and cancer risk.

Polyunsaturated oils do oxidize more readily than saturated fats, though, this is true. Care should be taken that the oils are fresh, that anyone taking veggie oils also take vitamin E, and that we store them in a dark, preferably cool place. These steps help control oxidation inside or outside the body. Nothing in biology is uncomplicated.

Saturated fats do get a blanket bad rap that they might not deserve--we have gone anti-fat crazy in this country--but this is not well balanced by giving an equally unfair bad rap to unsaturated, vegetable and fish oils.

sean

Last edited by sean; 03-23-2004 at 01:34 PM.

Old 03-31-2004, 06:48 AM   #7

WishUwerehere HB User

Thanks -- great info!

Old 03-31-2004, 09:47 AM   #8

dagmarharris HB User

[QUOTE=WishUwerehere]I am taking fish oil, CLA (for weight loss) and saw palmetto (for PCOS).

HI "Wish you were here"....
Have you noticed any weight loss on the fish oil? I am on an SSRI drug and have read this helps weight loss that one gains on SSRI's.
What does CLA stand for?
I take one omega fish oil... in the morning and try to remember to take another Omega fish oil at dinner. I also take vitamin E with it. And vitamin C.
How about you, what is your diet?
Oh I also started taking a good multiple vitamin and additional calcium and magenesium supplements....as I am in my late 40's...and need this.
~dagmar

Old 03-31-2004, 08:57 PM   #9

WishUwerehere HB User

Hi Dagmar,
I have lost about 6 lbs. since I started taking the fish oil, but I've also been watching my carbs and working out almost every night, so it's hard to know if the weight loss is due to the supplements or the change in my habits. I have heard the same thing about fish oil helping to counteract weight gain from anti-depressants. In fact, I have heard that fish oil can help to counteract depression.

My diet was really bad up until a couple of weeks ago. Very high carb and high fat, very little fruits, vegetables, protein or fiber. But I've been trying to turn things around, eating some high fiber cereal for breakfast, fruit for a snack, protein bar and some almonds or cheese and high fiber crackers for lunch, and some grilled meat and a salad for supper. I had started to get to the point where my sugar and carb cravings were diminishing, and then I came home tonight and my husband was making pancakes!!! I couldn't believe it.....the man never goes near the stove, and there he is flipping pancakes. Of course I had to have 2

CLA stands for conjugated linoleic acid. It is supposed to help you burn more fat during your workouts. You might be able to find out more about it if you do a search on the weight loss board or the vitamins and supplements board. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread