It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2004, 07:01 PM   #1

GOOGLEMANONINE HB User
proootein

is it true you can get sick from eating raw eggs cause i just ate one and am worried im gonna go to school tommarow with exploding diarhea? serious question by the way

Old 03-25-2004, 06:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: proootein

It's possible but not inevitable. Eating commercial eggs raw is not a good idea because the conditions under which the hens are raised can be filthy, at best. Organic would be better; but the ideal would be getting them directly from a farmer where you know the hens are raised well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 12:54 PM   #3

Straightsailor HB User

I used to drink two raw eggs in the morning before my cardio, and not once did it upset my stomach, I wouldn't suggest it though, for the reasons stated above

Old 03-25-2004, 01:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, You can get salminella poisoning from eating uncooked eggs. It's a natural accuring baccteria in the egg. I will admit to eating mine over easy or poached, but never raw. Just curious...What is the reason for eating the eggs raw and what would the difference be between a nice cooked, lean piece of meat and raw eggs? Personally, I know I would never be able to stomach raw eggs.

Old 03-26-2004, 04:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

I've been eating raw eggs for almost 20 years now - never had any problems from it. I always make sure the egg shell is clean and has no signs of any cracks before using it though.

Old 03-26-2004, 06:58 AM   #6

MsMeaganMay HB User

About the chances of contracting salmonella...here's some input from Dr. Mercola:

"When you carefully analyze the risk of contracting salmonella from raw eggs, you will find that it is actually quite low. A study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture earlier this year (Risk Analysis April 2002 22(2):203-18) showed that of the 69 billion eggs produced annually, only 2.3 million of them are contaminated with salmonella.

So simple math suggests that only 0.00003 percent of eggs are infected. The translation is that only one in every 30,000 eggs is contaminated with salmonella. This gives you an idea of how uncommon this problem actually is.

While it is likely that I will consume more than 30,000 eggs in my lifetime, most of you will not. However, inevitably someone out there will find a salmonella-contaminated egg, so it is important to understand how to seriously decrease your risk of infection.

Salmonella infections are usually present only in traditionally raised commercial hens. If you are purchasing your eggs from healthy chickens this infection risk reduces dramatically. Remember, only sick chickens lay salmonella-contaminated eggs. If you are obtaining high quality, cage-free, organically fed, omega-3 enhanced chicken eggs as recommended above, the risk virtually disappears.

But let's say that for some reason, even after following that advice, you still obtain an egg that is infected. What do you do? Well, before you eat eggs - raw or not -- you should thoroughly examine them for signs of infection."

He also discusses how to examine an egg for infection if anyone is interested...

Dr. Joseph Mercola, "The No-Grain Diet", April 2003

Take care.

Old 03-27-2004, 08:02 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

I've gotten food poisoning a number if times, but I can honestly say NEVER from an egg....and I make a protein shake at least once a week with a raw egg, so ballpark it at over 1000 raw eggs easy!

Personally I think it's an old wives tale from days before refrigeration.

Last edited by zip2play; 03-27-2004 at 08:03 AM.

Closed Thread