It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2004, 02:56 PM   #1

Legend#14 HB User
Apples Give You Gas?

I started eating Apples on a regular basis to try to add something healthy into my diet

Now for 2 days straight I can't stop burping

I mean this is weird though, non stop burping, I have so much excess gas, everytime i breathe in I need to burp and i do burp

It sounds stupid but what could this be, could it be dangerous to non stop burp for 2 days straight!!!

Old 04-02-2004, 12:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Re: Apples Give You Gas?

Hello, Yes, apples give you gas. They are also a good laxative, especially in the form of apple cider. They have lots of fiber. Bananas, potatoes, cabbage, and beans are gassy too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2004, 12:14 PM   #3
(female)

baby_bytes HB User

hehe yup they give you gas, nothing to worry about tho...my friend with just one apple that she ate got big time gas, but hey it's healthy

Old 04-02-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

Maybe if you have just stared eating more apples, you're digestive system needs some time to get used to it?

Even when people change from a low fiber to a higher fiber diet, they may have some digestive problems in the beginning.

Kathrin

Old 04-03-2004, 05:31 AM   #5
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpiezoe
Hello, Yes, apples give you gas. They are also a good laxative, especially in the form of apple cider. They have lots of fiber. Bananas, potatoes, cabbage, and beans are gassy too.
All of the foods mentioned do not give everyone gas. Perhaps a food allergy is the culprit or a digestive problem.

Old 04-04-2004, 10:28 AM   #6
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Apples are tough for some people....a migraine trigger for my mother, a stomach cramper for me. It's a mix of lots of interesting components tied together with lots of pectin.

Like the old joke....if it hurts don't do it!

I spent 10 years not able to eat apples then everything turned AOK and I can eat them now IF RIPE and fragrant. Slightly rawish and tarty and I'm still in trouble.

Old 04-05-2004, 05:18 AM   #7

WW1999 HB User

Oh yes, those apples will give you gas --- they give me it too but I continue to eat more and more. Go figure!! Gwendolyn

Old 04-05-2004, 05:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

i get gas from most natural fruits but... i find when it comes to apples the mcintosh apples have very little gas effect on me. the more fruit you can get at a fruit stand the better. supermarket fruits tend to be gassed to preserve for longer periods of time in their warehouses.

Last edited by delrae4753; 04-05-2004 at 05:56 AM.

Old 04-06-2004, 04:10 AM   #9

Legend#14 HB User

Thanks guys!

It must be doing something good and getting rid of all the excess acid i must have from eating a lot of junk

Old 04-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello girlygirly, I don't get it. The foods I listed are considered gassy foods, whether a person gets gas from them or not. I think I forgot to include soda on the list. I wasn't implying that everyone would have gas problems when they eat that food. Some people can tolerate more gassy foods than others, which is an agreement with you. That list is from my mother-in-law's doctor. She has GERD. It's the same list that a lot of senior citizens are given, since many senior citizens are prone to gass problems. (My father was one of them.)

Old 04-08-2004, 01:52 AM   #11

crad HB User

Hi,
It sounds like you may be eating too many too soon and also to quickly dont attack the apple chew it slowly and give it time to digest. Try not to eat close to a meal fruit is best eaten on its own with nothing either side for around an hour-two. I find this helps me a lot especially eating the apple slowly as i often experienced similiar complaints in the past most people eat their food too quickly. I also found they are very hard to eat first thing in the morning as i have had a lot of stomach problems. Also try pears they are easier on the stomach.
Adrian

Old 04-08-2004, 09:38 AM   #12

T-zone HB User

A big cause of gas is when you eat food while your stomach contains partially digested food. To avoid this don't eat within at least 2 hours of eating, if you have been active or are just slow at digesting food or have eaten something that takes a particulary long time to digest give it even longer.

Some people may also find they can only eat fruit 30 minutes before their meal, instead of eating it as desert.

Closed Thread