It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2004, 12:18 AM   #1
(male)

michaelfloyd HB User
Good, Healthy diet?

hi, i'm a 24 year old male... i am 6'1" and 210 lbs. i've never had a problem with my weight in my life up until about a year and a half ago when i started gaining weight. i went from about 170 to my current weight which seems to be holding steady. it seems the recommended weight for my height is about 180 - 190 lbs. and i would like to get down to about 190.

so my question is, what is a good diet plan to lose about 20 pounds? i don't want some gimmick diet that makes you starve yourself to death for 2 weeks or whatever... i just want a good healthy diet to help me loose the weight.

i'm not very disciplined and i eat a lot of junk food... and i feel that i need like a schedule or something so i know what to eat every day. i think that would really help me.

i've also recently been diagnosed with ulcerative colits so for that reason as well a change in diet is needed. i just don't know where to begin.

so anyway, can anybody point me in the right direction here? your help is much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2004, 06:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Re: Good, Healthy diet?

Hello, Since you have an exsisting health condition, it is best for you to talk to your doctor and have him/her recommend a nutritionist to help you find the best diet and exercise for you. If you are still interested in talking to others about diet and loosing weight, just scroll down a little further to the weight loss bbs on the bbs list.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2004, 07:55 AM   #3
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfloyd
...so my question is, what is a good diet plan to lose about 20 pounds? i don't want some gimmick diet that makes you starve yourself to death for 2 weeks or whatever... i just want a good healthy diet to help me loose the weight.

i'm not very disciplined and i eat a lot of junk food... and i feel that i need like a schedule or something so i know what to eat every day. i think that would really help me.

i've also recently been diagnosed with ulcerative colits so for that reason as well a change in diet is needed. i just don't know where to begin.

so anyway, can anybody point me in the right direction here? your help is much appreciated.
I've highlighted what I think are two key statements. The first undoubtedly contributes to the second.
The best diet is one with no whites (NO sugar, white flour, white rice, pasta, white bread) no alcohol, caffeine, soda pop. Instead, eat lots of fresh whole vegetables, a couple of fruits/day, and at least 10 oz lean protein (NOT 80/20 hamburger or ribs, but steak, flank steak, 97/3 hamburger, poultry, seafood) eat whole grains but dump the fast food and highly processed stuff like box dinners, cereals, etc. Drink at least a half gallon of water per day (a whole gallon would be better). Eat something every 2-3 hours (this helps stabilize your blood sugar and reduces cravings/binges).
Personally, I think that the Fat Flush Plan is a healthy diet ( and offers menus & recipes, too!) but probably requires more discipline than you are presently able to muster.

best wishes,

charli
highest wt: 233
203/146/146 on the Fat Flush Plan for life and perky to the max!

Old 03-29-2004, 05:57 PM   #4

TrippingAsIGo HB User

i would recommend looking into the South Beach Diet. i don't think of it as a diet anymore but more of a new way of eating. it is a lot like what the last post described - cut out sugar (i use splenda), don't eat white flour - cut out a lot of those carbs that are made with white flour and slowly replace with whole grain foods, eat lean proteins, eat lots of fruits and veggies. it's more of just a healthy way of eating. by eating this way i've lost 27 lbs since mid-January (combined with exercise).
but with any eating plan you are going to do you are going to have to be disciplined and plan ahead to avoid eating junk foods and fast foods.

good luck

Closed Thread