It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2004, 11:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
Lightbulb The Allergy/Elimination/Rotation Diet

Hi everyone

This has been a pretty cruddy year for me trying to find out what was causing me to be very ill, but it's getting better now. First I had an inner ear infection that caused me daily vertigo and dizziness for an entire year, and then I started having horrible hypoglycemic attacks. I thought for sure that it was reactive hypoglycemia, but nothing really made sense because the times of the low blood sugar episodes never really occurred in a pattern or anything. I changed my diet TONS of times. I cut out wheat, I cut out sugar, I stopped eating carbs completely, I lived only on meat, I ate a healthy diet of high protein/low carbs, I ate more frequently, etc. I did EVERYTHING and nothing was stopping the blood sugar episodes. I couldn't get through one day without feeling extremely ill/almost needing to be hospitalized. Throughout this, I posted in the diabetes forum and in the longest thread about my "condition", someone mentioned that I could have really bad food allergies. I was skeptical that a food allergy could cause all of the symptoms I was having, but really looked into it anyway. Hey, I knew I had horrible year-round allergies, so why couldn't I have food allergies, too? I was already pretty sure that I'm allergic to peanuts and cut those out months ago.Anyway, one poster really convinced me to try an allergy/elimination/rotation diet. Whatever you would like to call it. It cuts out all of the major food allergies and has you eat everything else that isn't under the category of being a major allergen in a rotation style so that you cannot form an intolerance or allergy to one of the foods you are eating. It's kind of like an allergy detox, except it's also diagnostic in the manner that you slowly introduce the major allergy foods back in to note your reaction, and you therefore figure out exactly what you're allergic to. I cut out all of the major allergens, but really cannot AFFORD to do a true rotation diet. It consists mostly of meats, and my mom really can't afford to buy me all of these expensive meats to eat everyday. (I'm 19 and still live with my mom) Right now, the only foods I eat are brown rice bread, brown rice bagels, Tofutti Cream Cheese (tofu, non-dairy), Tofutti ice cream, grape jelly, pears, peaches, prunes, cantaloupes, honeydew melons, lettuce, green, red, and yellow peppers, onions, beef, turkey, chicken, some processed meats, rice baby cereal, soymilk and soy yogurt, POTATOES and potato products such as tons of potato chips, and beans. That's pretty much IT> It actually looks like a lot when I write it down, but it's not. That doesn't give me ANY variety and soon I'm going to form intolerances to these foods and don't know what to do!! I know you're only supposed to do this for 4-6 weeks and it's been almost a month now. My hypoglycemic attacks almost completely STOPPED, I feel soooo much better, I feel SANE and mentally stable, I have barely any anxiety, I don't have any of the weird symptoms now but now I just feel constant allergy-like symptoms. Like before, I had unexplained symptoms occuring with almost every bodily system, and now I'm itchy constantly, started having mini asthma attacks which I never had before, my nose is constantly plugged up, my ears hurt, and I get spacey, but these symptoms are really NOTHING compared to what I went through with all of my other symptoms everyday. I definitely prefer these symptoms. Since I've been on this diet, I lost 5 pounds or a little more, and I definitely did NOT need to. It's surprising, too, since I eat carbs pretty much all day!!! Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Should I rotate these foods before I start introducing the allergens back in? I still am having some food reactions, but now that I'm not eating all of that other stuff, I can immediately tell it's a food reaction, but I haven't pinpointed exactly which one of these items is causing it yet. Does anyone have any additional information about this diet/has anyone done this diet before? Has anyone else HEARD of this diet? Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2004, 07:22 AM   #2
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User
Re: The Allergy/Elimination/Rotation Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice1221
Right now, the only foods I eat are brown rice bread, brown rice bagels, Tofutti Cream Cheese (tofu, non-dairy), Tofutti ice cream, grape jelly, pears, peaches, prunes, cantaloupes, honeydew melons, lettuce, green, red, and yellow peppers, onions, beef, turkey, chicken, some processed meats, rice baby cereal, soymilk and soy yogurt, POTATOES and potato products such as tons of potato chips, and beans.
I have not heard of the allergy/elimination/rotation diet, per se. But I am not surprised that you have found many of your symptoms relate to food allergies/sensitivies and intolerances. I think many chronic illnesses are more related to food than medicine has recognized.
And you are what you eat.
I've read that the five most common foods to which folks are allergic/sensitive/intolerant are:
wheat
dairy
soy
sugar
yeast

I don't think it's healthy to eat a diet primarily of meats. Your body needs lots of nutrients/minerals that you can't get from an all-meat diet (fiber, for one) and vegetables and fruits are best for this.
One of the reasons I recommend the Fat Flush Plan is that it cuts out the most common food allergens, encourages a balanced diet of fresh whole vegetables, fruits, and lean protein while cutting out highly processed foods such as chips, cereals, box dinners, etc.
In addition, keeping a food journal and recording subsequent reactions to foods is key to identifying potential problem foods. The FFP enables you to figure out what (if any) food intolerances you have, while teaching you how to eat a healthier diet. It's basically a 40/30/30 plan (40% carbs - mostly from vegetables, and 30% fat, 30% lean protein).
Through this plan, I found out that I am dairy intolerant (probably to the lactose, because I can still have yogurt and hard cheese, but no milk, ice cream, etc.). Check the Fat Flush Plan out @ your local library. It's by nationally reknowned nutritionist, Ann Louise Gittleman.
I think the FFP will help you reconstruct a diet that is most healthy for YOU.

best wishes,
charli
highest wt: 233
203/146/146 on Fat Flush Plan for life and perky...veddy veddy perky!

Old 03-29-2004, 08:26 AM   #3
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice1221
First I had an inner ear infection that caused me daily vertigo and dizziness for an entire year, and then I started having horrible hypoglycemic attacks. I was skeptical that a food allergy could cause all of the symptoms I was having, but really looked into it anyway. Hey, I knew I had horrible year-round allergies, so why couldn't I have food allergies, too? I was already pretty sure that I'm allergic to peanuts and cut those out months ago. I cut out all of the major allergens... Right now, the only foods I eat are brown rice bread, brown rice bagels, Tofutti Cream Cheese (tofu, non-dairy), Tofutti ice cream, grape jelly, pears, peaches, prunes, cantaloupes, honeydew melons, lettuce, green, red, and yellow peppers, onions, beef, turkey, chicken, some processed meats, rice baby cereal, soymilk and soy yogurt, POTATOES and potato products such as tons of potato chips, and beans. That's pretty much IT..... but now I just feel constant allergy-like symptoms. Like before, I had unexplained symptoms occuring with almost every bodily system, and now I'm itchy constantly, started having mini asthma attacks which I never had before, my nose is constantly plugged up, my ears hurt, and I get spacey, but these symptoms are really NOTHING compared to what I went through with all of my other symptoms everyday. I definitely prefer these symptoms. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Should I rotate these foods before I start introducing the allergens back in? I still am having some food reactions, but now that I'm not eating all of that other stuff, I can immediately tell it's a food reaction, but I haven't pinpointed exactly which one of these items is causing it yet. Does anyone have any additional information about this diet/has anyone done this diet before? Has anyone else HEARD of this diet? Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much!!
I would suggest that you look up candida. It is a yeast overgrowth in the body that causes MANY of the symptoms that you have mentioned. If this is your problem it would explain why you still are having symptoms, most of the foods you are eating would support a yeast overgrowth. Many people think of yeast problems as vaginal yeast infections, that is only one type of a yeast overgrowth, men and women and children can have yeast overgrowths. It wreaks havoc on the body and the immune system especially. But please look it up.

Last edited by girlygirly; 03-29-2004 at 08:26 AM.

Old 03-29-2004, 11:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

I looked into candida and I definitely think that candida is a very likely culprit. I was on very high doses of antibiotics about 4 or more times this year- first due to what was thought to be a BACTERIAL inner ear infection, and then after that because I had pleurisy and the flu. Anyway, I found that there ARE many wonderful sites out there, but some are misleading because they are trying to sell a product. So far I've gathered that I'm not supposed to eat cured meats, ANY sugars including natural sugars, nothing fermented like vinegar or alcohol, wheat, or dairy other than yogurt. I can definitely do that because I already RARELY eat sugar, but I do eat quite a bit of fermented stuff- I put massive amounts of vinegar on salad and often eat mustard. I do eat many cold cuts from the deli, and I really don't know if these are acceptable or not. I live on rice bread and have not yet tried many other grains. I actually have been taking acidophilus supplements since January of this year, which was the last time I was on heavy antibiotics for pleurisy. My bloating actually went away for quite a while, but it came back. Acidophilus DID help me at one point, but I guess since I'm not taking as much it's not as effective, and the yeast situation just got way out of control. I'm planning on seeing an allergist, but I'm going to a local allergy clinic because I no longer have health insurance. So here's my plan. Hopefully someone could give me some input on it. I'm going to continue eating the way I do except for cutting out the natural sugars, cut out most of the meat I eat, take more acidophilus, take some Garlic tablets/eat garlic, and continue drinking a lot of water. Oh, and I'll cut out the soymilk because it has cane juice in it. Now, does anyone know how long I have to do this for? Is it just until I feel better and then I should just continue eating healthy? I'm going to do this because I'll do anything to get better, but I'm not looking forward to it because I hate the way I feel on a low carb diet, and this sounds like it would definitely be low carb. Also, does anyone know for sure if diatamaceous clay (spelling error, I believe) kills candida? Sorry for all the questions. I DID research but many websites are actually contradicting to the other websites and I'm not sure which information is correct! If anyone has experience with this, please help me out. Thanks sooo very much!
~Katalina

Old 03-29-2004, 11:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

csoar2004,
I haven't looked into the Fat Flush Plan yet, but am going to in a little while! Thanks so much!
~Katalina

Old 03-30-2004, 04:20 AM   #6
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Fruit is not allowed initially due to the fact that the sugars from it feed the yeast. I am currently being treated for candida so I will tell how what I eat. The ONLY fruit allowed is apples. Whole grains are good but I would only have one meal a day with the grains. Nuts are good as long as they are not roasted and salted,raw is preferable. Nut butters are fine. Eat tons of yogurt, ( I was told that Stonyfield farms is the best one to eat for this condition). Eggs are good. Most meats (I would not eat the cold cuts). Almost all veggies are allowed. Fish like salmon is excellent, stay away from smoked though.

There is an excellent book out there titled "The yeast Connection", maybe you may want to see if the local library carries it, it will give you more information than I can in a post. Eventually you can add other foods but it all will depend on how well you do. Another good supplement that is very powerful as an antibiotic is Oregano oil. You can take both the garlic and that, they are safe. Try to stay away from any prescription as that will kill all candida, we do need some in our bodies it is when it becomes an overgrowth that is when it becomes a problem.

Closed Thread