It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2004, 01:04 PM   #1

NaeNae HB User
Moms...Healthy Food for Family

Hi Everyone,

I am about 50lbs overweight. I had the babies and the weight never really came off. At times I'd try more excersise, Weight Watchers, etc., I'd lose 15lbs or so, then burn out. I also have depression, fibromyalgia and sleep apnea, which gives me a tired feeling all day, no energy and at times reclusive. My boys are 5 and 2. I know some of these problems could be helped with better eating. I also have a membership to Curves, which I'll do for a few weeks and life will get busy, I won't go for a week or so, then I let the bad thinking take over and don't force myself back.

This is the thing. I was raised in a really healthy house. My mom was a single mom and we couldn't afford alot of groceries. Plus, she just believed in healthy eating. No soda's or juices in the house, no sweets. Our bread was that super-whole grain with nuts in it, if we got juice it was orange juice. I feel almost it was so overboard, that when I went to live with my dad at 18, I went overboard and he had all kinds of junkfood stocked. To this day, I still feel like I'm rebelling against her (and I'm 30!!) and I buy Cheetos and Ice Cream because I can!

I don't feel good alot. Besides the conditions I have, I'm just always dizzy and hypoglycemic feeling (which they once said I had about 10 years ago) and no energy-ever. I know alot can improve in my life if get us on a better eating path. I don't want my boys to grow up eating like crap. I honestly don't even know where to start to look. I'm not a real big cook, and some nights I'm even too tired to cook, so it's Top Ramen or Macaroni and Cheese. It's embaressing. We do have alot of processed foods in the house. So I need something quick, easy, not too foo-foo'ish and I know my boys and husband won't eat anything too funky. I don't want to go as health crazy as my mom did-I remember everything I ate tasting like cardboard. On the other hand, I want what we eat to be full of vitamins and not too fattening.

Any ideas on books that I can read up on the best and most healthy way to feed my family, and at times on a budget?

Thanks to everyone on the board!

Last edited by moderator2; 03-30-2004 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2004, 07:53 AM   #2
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Re: Moms...Healthy Food for Family

Have you had your thyroid checked? Depression and sleep apnea are symptoms. There are several experts (Dr. Lowe and Dr. Blanchard look them up) that feel that fibromyalgia is really untreated hypothyroidism.

Now about the food. Part of your problem may in fact be related to your diet. Eating processed and refined foods will drain your energy. I eat whole foods and preparing meals doesn't take that long. I do cook from scratch. Go to a book store and look for cookbooks that have recipes for quick and easy meals. Or do a search on line for quick meals. I'm sure you will find many. Good Luck.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-30-2004 at 10:21 AM.

Old 03-30-2004, 02:51 PM   #3
(female)

rasiaca HB User

Well, atleast for yourself, I would research the helpfulness of a raw food diet with respect to fibromyalgia. I have read on countless websites of people with it who have been completely cured by this way. It is very motivating to read the success stories there. It's full of vitamins, and also very quick and easy. I would try it for a few days and just see how you feel. I felt incredible. I am not 100% at this point, but I am a gradual shifter when it comes to change, and I don't know that I will ever give up tomato sauce...
When it comes to the kids, I understand that too, that is when I make a buffet-style supper, and everyone can eat a little of everything, and focus in on what they do like. Everyone does it differently, but that is the least confrontational to me. OH, and employ their hands in helping if that's the case, it should not be dumped on you all the time!
Now, you mention all those programs you have tried and failed at, that doesn't mean they are failure programs. You just need to keep trying, that has got to be the most important thing, KEEP TRYING!!! You will get it right, trust me. Every time you fail or fall, you likely had a reason, and sooner or later you will figure out those reasons, and solutions for them, and next thing you know, you are doing it, and it's easy.
Your mom, may have forgotten to have treats once in awhile. Like a cheat meal once a week or whatever works for you. A lot of successfully healthy people have their treats, but instead of having a whole bowl of their fave ice cream, they will just have two bites. It takes practice, sure I know it's easier said than done, in the beginning, that's why I say....keep trying. That is the only way to beat it....any change.
So that's about it, hope something I said helps!
Anna.

Old 04-01-2004, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, I find the best and fastest way to cook healthy for my family is to broil or wok. Some of my coworkers seem to like crockpot/slow cooker meals. I marinate lean pork slices in soy sauce and lean beef slices in teriaki sauce before I broil them. ( I buy big roast like pieces of lean meat and cut it up into 1/4-1/2" slices, so it looks like steaks.) I broil the meat for 8 min. on one side, flip it over, and broil it for another 5-7 min. on the other side. I also broild fresh salmon. Just put the salmon on the broiling pan skin side up, spritz with a little olive oil spray, sprinkle on a little salt and garlic powder, then broil for 10-12 min., flip the salmon over, sprinkle that side with some salt, and broil for 7-10 min. until nice and crispy brown. (The salmon can be eaten plain, dipped in fat-free dressing, or dipped in light melted margarine.) If there is any salmon left, I make salmon salad out of it. (It's good cold too.)

For woking, just heat up your wok first, then eat up the oil. Only use enough olive oil/canola oil to just coat the pan. For thick vegies like brocoli, asparagus, or string beans; stir fry the vegies to keep their color, then add just a little bit of water and cover to steam the vegies until soft. If you like to add fresh garlic, then put the garlic in when the vegies are almost done to avoid burning the garlic. You can cook American style in a wok.

Oh, you asked for cook books. The "Fanny Farmer Cookbook" is an excellent source of all the family recipes you can think of. It also contains information about cooking, including how to debone a chicken. I also like the "Fabulous Fat Free Cookbook" by Lynn Fischer. It's really not fat-free. It's low-fat. The recipes are good, but a little fancy. The good part is that she has a table that lists how many calories and total fat grams you need to consume to maintain a certain weight. There are 2 listings for the fat grams...A 10% column for heart patients and a 25% column for regular people, which is just enough fat to carry on everyday bodily functions. A low-fat diet is considered 30% or less total fat grams, a moderate fat diet is more than 30%, and a high fat is 65% or more. (American Heart Assoc.) I hope this helps.

As for the junk food...You might want to go slow with your family instead of going cold turkey. You could substitute lesser of the evils like popcorn, pretzels, vegies with low-fat dip, fruit, raisins, nuts, etc.

Old 04-04-2004, 04:57 AM   #5
Inactive

THX 138 HB User

I loved Broccoli growing up. Most people don't like it I think because of the American way of preparing it. plain with cheese? ack. Greek/Mediterranean way is to put lemon, olive oil(thicker the better I like), and salt. yum Also steaming is better than boiling. Boiling washes out a some of the vitamins and flavor.

Last edited by THX 138; 04-04-2004 at 04:58 AM.

Closed Thread