It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2004, 05:20 PM   #1

Lateralus_ HB User
Trouble gaining weight

I've been trying to put on some weight (mostly muscle) for the last year or so. I'm 5'11", 150-155 lbs. I work out 3-4 times a week. I've been eating alot, but for some reason, I can't put on weight (this seems to run in the family, too). Here's what my diet is like.

For breakfast, I usually eat some waffles (usually 4, with syrup) with a couple glasses of milk (about 20g of protein in the milk I'm drinking). Sometimes, I go with oatmeal (again with alot of milk). There are some days that I don't have much time, so I just drink a couple glasses of milk (again, about 20g of protein).

For lunch and dinner I usually eat something like a couple baked potatoes, soup (usually Campbell's Bean w/ Bacon , pasta w/ tomato sauce, or anything with chicken I can find (not all at one meal, of course).

Sometimes when I'm working, I'll get fast food. I always go for the biggest burger (most protein) like a double quarter pounder at Mc Donalds.

I usually end up with 3 or 4 meals a day. I drink lots of milk too, between meals. And water too, of course. I probably don't drink 100% of the water I should drink, but I still drink quite a bit (maybe 50 oz. a day).

So my question is, what am I doing wrong here? I'm extremely frustrated. People tell me I eat more than anyone they've ever seen. I know I have a really high metabolism. Could that be the problem? And if it is, is there something I could do to lower it?

Someone I know told me I could be hypoglycemic. I don't really know what that is, so if someone could enlighten me, that would be great. And could it have an effect on my ability to put on muscle.

If any more information is needed, I'll be happy to provide it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Lateralus_; 04-04-2004 at 05:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2004, 05:26 PM   #2

Lateralus_ HB User
Something else I forgot to say, I'm a pretty active person...like, I can't sit still. I pace alot (when I'm thinking or sometimes when I eat, LOL). I gotta keep moving. So maybe I just burn TONS of calories? But can pacing burn that many calories?

Last edited by Lateralus_; 04-04-2004 at 05:26 PM.

Old 04-04-2004, 08:36 PM   #3
Inactive

THX 138 HB User
Re: Trouble gaining weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus_
Something else I forgot to say, I'm a pretty active person...like, I can't sit still. I pace alot (when I'm thinking or sometimes when I eat, LOL). I gotta keep moving. So maybe I just burn TONS of calories? But can pacing burn that many calories?
If you're not gaining weight, you're not eating enough. Get some super sized fry's with that 1/4 lb.er Also if you have too much protien vs. carbs, your body will have to go into ketosis to burn off the protien. protiens and carbs need eachother to digest. If there is not enough carbs, your body will use your fat to help break down the protien.

Last edited by THX 138; 04-04-2004 at 08:39 PM.

Old 04-04-2004, 10:15 PM   #4

Lateralus_ HB User

I think I'm getting plenty of both...waffles w/ syrup, oatmeal, potatoes, among other things. I don't know how I could force myself to eat more. When I get the double quarter pounder, I get super size fries. Sometimes I get a couple cheeseburgers with it if I'm real hungry.

Is there any safe (natural) way to lower my metabolism?

Old 04-04-2004, 11:30 PM   #5
Inactive

THX 138 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus_
I think I'm getting plenty of both...waffles w/ syrup, oatmeal, potatoes, among other things. I don't know how I could force myself to eat more. When I get the double quarter pounder, I get super size fries. Sometimes I get a couple cheeseburgers with it if I'm real hungry.

Is there any safe (natural) way to lower my metabolism?
well the doctor can do a physical on you to see and make sure you're normal. If you are you just gotta eat more. I got some online body building friends and they take in 5000 calories a day. The more muscle you gain the higher your metabolism will be.

I've lost 70 lbs this past year by cutting my calories. I have under 1000 a day now.

Old 04-05-2004, 06:21 AM   #6

WW1999 HB User

Yes, I agree - eat fast food that will pack on the pounds!! Ugh! I wished I had that problem -- did at one time but that was 10+ years ago. Good luck! Gwendolyn

Old 04-05-2004, 10:55 AM   #7

a bear HB User
Thumbs up Re: Trouble gaining weight

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=32557&highlight=weight+ gain+101[/url]

Old 04-05-2004, 02:57 PM   #8

Lateralus_ HB User

Wow, that post is great. I'm gonna try that.

Closed Thread