It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2004, 05:43 PM   #1

ikillradiostars HB User
high-starch diet...

i have a really high-starch diet. i eat a lot of pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.

i am wondering whether or not this is healthy. i haven't been feeling very well lately, and i am not sure if it's because of my diet or simply because of stress and other stuff going on in my life.

i try to eat a lot of peanut butter and protein foods because i don't eat much meat, and i do eat some fruit and vegetables (although, not as much as i would like to/should.)

is my high starch diet what is causing me to feel so unwell and rundown?

...if anyone knows anything about this, please let me know. thanks. =)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2004, 02:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Re: high-starch diet...

Hello, It could very well be your diet. Starchy foods do have some value, but not enough nutrition to sustain you. You really need to eat a variety of foods. B vitamins and potasium are the main nutrients needed to keep you from feeling run down and tired. Exercise can also help pep you up, but with a varied diet. You might want to add a really good multi-vitmin, since you are this far gone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2004, 06:39 AM   #3

ikillradiostars HB User

hmm, okay. i'll look into getting a multi-vitimin, then. i do excersise a bit, so that's good i guess.

thanks for your response.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Hi Kill,

I'm sure its your diet, but I suspect anemia. The most common causes of anemia are iron deficiency (and your list of foods includes no iron source a all), b-12 deficiency and b-12 is essentially NON available from vegetable sources and starches, and protein deficiency.

Sorry, but it is no accident that anemics are usually told to eat eggs, red meat and liver (!) Spinach and other dark green leafy veggies are good sources of iron, but would not help much if the problem is protein or b-12.

Iron is notoriously difficult to absorb, and if you are going to rely on supplements to do it for you (rather than red meat), it will take quite a high dose.

All this is IF you are anemic, of course. A doc can tell with a cheap, simple test. Get it.

By the way, I thought it was video that killed the radio star,no?

sean

Closed Thread