It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User
Weight Loss Platuea

I first posted this in the exercise boards, but i think it should have been here...so please if you delete one delete that one, thx.

What is the best way to jumpstart myself again. A little info, ive been working out pretty steadily for the last 7 months. I am 5'8" 175-180lbs. I started out at 235lbs. I try to watch what i eat, as in, i stopped drinking soda,(water is main drink) eating candy, fast food (other than chicken), and stop eating after about 7pm. Chicken really is my main food of choice now, and i somtimes eat fruits and salads. I usually jog for about 30mins 3 or 4 times a week. And on the other days i lift weight for about an hour, 3 days a week. (curls, incline bench, push-ups, ab roller) Well for the last 2 months i have stayed at this weight, fluxing from 175-180.

I really don't get so hungry as much sometimes but i still force myself to eat if i havn't in a while. I use to do the 5-6 meals a day, but recently i have been doing the 3 okay sized meals, never stuffing myself. Lately ive actually held off on the weight lifting and have been doing cardio multiple days straight. I am probably burning muscle which is not what i want to happen. I am pretty active most of the time, and not really sure how many calories i need a day and how to compute and record them. (how many calories are in fat/carbs etc)

So this whole time ive pretty much just gone by the healthyness of the food and the quantity eaten. Its kind of weird, my clothes are fitting loose and i went from 38 to 34 pants and the 34's are loosening, but the weight is staying the same. I understand about muscle weighing more than fat, but with all this damn cardio im doing you would think i would lose more. Is there a way to tell if your losing muscle and not fat? Also what is the best way to make sure that your burning fat not muscle.

Thanks, sorry if i typed too much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2004, 09:06 AM   #2

a bear HB User
Re: Weight Loss Platuea

find out your bodyfat %

Old 04-07-2004, 09:36 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User

GoodGuy,

It's hard to determine what your body is burning. Best you can do is make sure that you are getting enough protein and doing some strength moves with your excercise routine...treadmill work work preserve musncel mass.

Plateauing is ALWAYS a horrible problem because it's built into the system To exlpain, each extra 10 pounds of weight takes about 150 calories/day to support it. So, if somebody loses 30 pounds, he will need to eat 450 calories LESS than when he started.
Since you've lost nearly 60 pounds you've got to go down nearly 900 calories from the good old days of 235 pounds (I know, a dismal bit of science!).

Fat tallies in at 9 calories per gram
Protein and carbs around 4 calories/gram.
Pure alcohol: 7 calories/gram.

Old 04-07-2004, 08:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Thx for your reply zip..

Old 04-08-2004, 05:27 AM   #5
Inactive

zip2play HB User

I meant to say that "treadmill work WON'T preserve muscle mass." The site slowed to a crawl yesterday and I lost patience wating for my typo EDIT to go in.

Something like bench pressing, and heavy curls and leg extensions or squats....that kind of thing...is good for preserving muscle mass.

Old 04-08-2004, 08:24 AM   #6

Creme Pour HB User
Talking Re: Weight Loss Platuea

I am trying to lose weight. I am trying the vegeterian life style as a way to lose weight. I consume vegetables, cereal and fruits, peanuts, eggs, tofu and fish for protein. I have been on this diet for 5 days and lost 4 pounds. I am currently weighing 188. This diet give me lost of energy. I don't feel tired or weighted down. If anybody is on a similar diet, let me know your daily menu plans. My diet consit of 1 cup of cereal or 1 cup of oatmeal either with a cup of fruit for breakfast. Lunch is vegetables and fruits and peanuts and Supper is usually steamed vegetables with Soy Sauce and 1/2 cup of brown rice. If I get the urge to snack I would have more fruits. I try to walk consistantly at least 10 to 15 minutes a day.

Supper receipe

Stem vegetable ( the frozen mix vegetables are great)
Chop of 1 garlic clove
3 tablepoon of seasame seed oil
Chop of 1/4 of onions

Pour the table spoon of oil in skillet
add cloves
add onions

cook until slightly brown
add Mixed vegetable (cook 10 to 15 minutes)
Add 1/4 cup of soy sauce
Add1/4 cup of oyster sauce Simmer for 5 minutes

optional
Add mushroom or Tofu

Serve over brown rice

Last edited by Creme Pour; 04-08-2004 at 08:36 AM.

Old 04-08-2004, 12:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
I meant to say that "treadmill work WON'T preserve muscle mass." The site slowed to a crawl yesterday and I lost patience wating for my typo EDIT to go in.

Something like bench pressing, and heavy curls and leg extensions or squats....that kind of thing...is good for preserving muscle mass.

Yeah i figured it was a typo, thanks. One quick question, so since im not really lifting too heavy im probably adding a little more mass but more of a cutting method going right now. Am i still losing weight this way even if i slow down on my cardio? Would i be losing it faster this way or going back to my cardio/weights/cardio/weights/etc?

Thanks bud

btw, i do dumbell bench (40lbs each), squats (47lbs), curls (47lbs) and push-ups. Im usually doing 3 sets of about 15 reps on each which is pretty close to failure or is failure. Thanks

Last edited by dfwgoodguy; 04-08-2004 at 12:13 PM.

Old 04-10-2004, 08:11 AM   #8
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Goodguy,

You're routine seems adequate for preserving muscle mass and the cardio is good as long as it doesn't mess with your strength moves.
Remember though, to keep thye scale moving down slowly you've got to keep wringing more calories out of the total.

I used to force feed when not hungry sometimes. It finally seemed to silly to me so I try NOT to snack when not really hungry. BUT I try to stay away from getting myself famished to the point where I can start eating everything in reach including furniture and small pets!

I'm sort of in your boat trying for hard workouts to restore muscle mass of yore while still losing bodyfat. Sometimes it's hard because of the two conflicting unknowables: how much muscle did I gain; how much fat did i lose...throw in water retention and it can be headache making.

Last edited by zip2play; 04-10-2004 at 08:27 AM.

Old 04-11-2004, 10:03 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

thx zip. Yeah it is, on the scale im just staying at same weight 175-180, i know thats water loss wheni go down to 175. But i guess its cool, since i do weight train a lot, that means im steadily losing fat too...hopefully anyways..

Thanks again for your helpful replys.

Closed Thread