It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2004, 06:55 AM   #1

WishUwerehere HB User
Is popcorn a good snack?

I know popcorn USED to be touted as a good snack before the recent "low carb" craze, but I'm wondering if it's still considered a good alternative for those of us who are trying to lose weight. It's pretty high carb, but quite a few of those carbs are in the form of fiber. Obviously air-popped without butter or salt would be the best, but the microwave is so much more convenient. Right now I'm looking at the label on a box of Jolly Time Healthy Pop Butter Flavor popcorn, and it doesn't look too bad. For a serving of 5 cups popped (about 1/3 to 1/2 the bag) you get:

20 calories
2 g fat (0 g sat. fat)
0 g cholesterol
23 g carb ( the only bad part that I can see)
9 g dietary fiber
<1 g sugar
3 g protein

I was particularly impressed with the amount of fiber. Previously I had thought that popcorn was "empty calories" at best, but 9 g of fiber is over one-third the daily allowance. I find that popcorn really fills me up, too. Anyone else heard anything good or bad about popcorn? If I eat it every day as an afternoon snack, is it going to hinder my weight loss?

Old 04-08-2004, 08:23 AM   #2

llamamuffinmama HB User
Re: Is popcorn a good snack?

sounds good. i'd go for it! 23 grams of carbs is not high carb at all. there's more than that in a serving of pineapple. carbs are really important and imho nothing to be phobic about. if you have a tendency to really overdo it, then it's a good idea to watch it, especially with refined "empty" carbs like white pasta, white bread, white rice, etc. but otherwise a little carbohydrate is nothing to be afraid of!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2004, 08:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Popcorn is a whole grain food, which we can forget at times. It is surely not low-carb, but its not the worst offender in that category, either. Not by a long shot. And the fiber is for real.
It makes a safer bet than sugary snacks or chips, which are higher in carbs per serving (popcorn is, after all, largely air), and of higher glycemic index, too.

sean

Old 04-08-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
(female)

angel85 HB User

IMO popcorn is a great snack. Very filling, and good for the fiber content. The only thing to watch out for in the microwave popcorns is hydrogenated oils for their trans fats, but (I think. . .) if you get the plain kind you can nix that problem. Besides, then you can season as you want. There are all kinds of spices you can put in depending on your mood, not just butter and salt ^_^ Enjoy!

Old 04-08-2004, 11:10 PM   #5
(female)

sbboyceut HB User

Hello. I agree with pretty much all the responses, it is a really good snack. NOT a refined Carb like cookies,cake,crackers etc....good fiber. I love it.

Old 04-09-2004, 05:57 PM   #6

sarah1000 HB User

Just wanted to point out that the microwave popcorn industry has had trouble keeping their nutritional info straight. By example, 5 cups of air popped popcorn in the little machine is 50 calories without any oil at all. Take a look at that "raw" popcorn they sell in the bag and compare it with the nutritional info on the microwave bag. I think it can still be a better snack than I lot of other choices, but those bags have more calories than they seem.

ps, i bought the hot air pop machine for $12 for Target and it's lasted three years so far, plus the raw popcorn you buy for it is dirt cheap and no oil! (I add a 1/2 tsp of canola and mix with herbs and a little salt).

Old 04-10-2004, 07:55 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

sarah,

I agree. Those microwave popcorn nutrition labels are a WEALTH of misinformation.
I've simply given up on them because I will not expose myself to all those trans fats.
And how in god's name can one determine how much grease sticks to the bag. (Oh, and real butter would spoil quickly without refrigeration so the butter flavored is exactly that "butter flavorING....straight from DuPont and Monsanto."

Dry popped is dull (but quick) and a good snack. For a higher calorie version, pan popping with a good oil (corn oil or peanut oil resists heat best) gives a healthy product with more flavor than air popped.
My fave oil, Canola, gets a weird taste when used to pop corn so it's out for me .

But Microwave Popcorn is VERY risky food and has even landed many plant workers in the hospital from the poisonous fumes of the "butter" just a couple weeks ago.
Smart Balance has come out with a microwave line "promising" NO TRANS FATS but the stuff is just too overpriced for me. Hot air stuff is a quarter or two A POUND- can't beat it!
(It's really not a good Atkins food for those still depriving themselves of carbs.)

Last edited by zip2play; 04-10-2004 at 07:58 AM.

Closed Thread