It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2004, 03:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User
Question Hmm.. will anyone rate my diet?

Alright, so on an average day

Breakfast: whole-grain sandwich with peanut butter or whole-grain bread with egg & salad when I have time (Should I leave the egg yolk out and just eat the egg white? Or is it no big deal?)

School first break: yogurt
second break: whole-grain bread with peanutbutter
third break: fruit

When I get home I will eat a salad and a whole-grain sandwich with smoked salmon

Then I'm off to the gym, I burn around 600-700 calories (600 calories form cardio, and sometimes I do an hour of bodypump (weightlifting class) so that would be an extra 100 calories)

Then I get back home. I eat brown rice, chicken or fish, and a salad
(I try to divide it into two small meals)

I drink water throughout the whole day, except when I'm at school cuz the toilets there are seriously disgusting.

My stats are: 16, female, 55 kilograms (I think that's around 120 pounds,probably a little more) and 159 cms (that's 5"2 I think)

So do you think this is a good lifestyle or what? Of course I would bring in more variety but this is about what it's like.

Oh yeah, and twice a week a 0% or 1% fat desert. Around 130-200 calories. Simply can't resist.

Oh yeah, and we're having shrimps (the large kind) for dinner tonight. Cooked with chili. High in protein and cholesterol right? But is it really fattening or is it ok? I think I will eat around 15. With salad. And maybe some brown rice, but probably not. How many calories would this be?

Ok, so this is probably how my diet looks like in numbers:

Calories Protein Fat Carbs Fiber Sodium
1,076.6 85.7 20.2 132.0 16.4 700.0

Is that good or bad? And if it's bad how should I change it? I will take in another 200 calories today but am I getting in enough protein and stuff?
Seriously sodium takes up THAT many calories? Then salt (sodium chloride, right?) must be very high in calories? Good thing I hate added salt

Last edited by justme_; 04-10-2004 at 09:33 AM. Reason: oops

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2004, 05:04 PM   #2

google321 HB User
Re: Hmm.. will anyone rate my diet?

sodium has no calories

Old 04-11-2004, 04:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

oooh.. i think i read the calculator wrongly

Old 04-11-2004, 04:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

well what does sodium do then? how come there's so much of it in food

Old 04-11-2004, 05:38 AM   #5

tah4349 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_
well what does sodium do then? how come there's so much of it in food
You can generally equate sodium to salt. There's so much of it in foods because it shows up in flavor enhancers and preservatives. Most prepackaged foods are high in sodium. Especially frozen dinners and other prepared meals. That smoked salmon you're eating is probably the biggest problem. VERY high in sodium - anything smoked will be. Also, if your brown rice is from some sort of pre-packaged and flavored variety (like a mix), it's also going to be very very high in sodium. Not only is the sodium going to keep the water weight on, it's terrible for your heart and blood pressure. Look on the packages and read how much sodium is in each item you eat. Look at the daily % that it takes up - the FDA is considering dropping the allowable amount of sodium eaten by people almost in half, so factor that in to your decision. Basically, a good rule of thumb is that if you didn't prepare the food yourself from scratch, you're probably taking in too much sodium. If you're worried about it, avoid mixes, spice mixes, deli meats, and prepackaged foods as much as possible.

Old 04-11-2004, 08:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Oh I see, but about the smoked salmon. Are it's advantages worth the amount of sodium? I mean, fish it good right? How about self-prepared cooked salmon then? How much sodium should I take in a day? What's the maximum amount I'm allowed to take in daily?

Old 04-11-2004, 11:13 AM   #7

scribbles HB User

The sodium figure is likely 700 mg. It comes from the whole-grain bread, the peanut butter, the yogurt, egg, chilli, the desserts, shrimp, the vegetables in your salad... Sodium is a requirement for the proper functioning of your body cells. For the average person, it's about impossible to take in near zero grams of sodium a day -- it's found naturally in almost all foods or is added in. The current guideline for sodium is 2400 mg or less, or for healthy young adults to aim for 1500 mg or less.

If your numbers are accurate, you are on the low side of your energy intake at 1,077 calories a day. Since your body is still growing and you are quite active, you need to make sure you're not depriving yourself of nutrients. Your BMR is at least 1200-1400.

For your activity level, your carb intake should not be too low -- right now, your diet is 49% carbs, or 132 grams. This is probably okay; with a lot of cardio exercise, you could even go as high as 55% if you like.

For protein, your diet is 32% protein, or contributing 86 grams. This is more than enough. The ADA recommendation is 20-25%, so on the low end, that would be about 215 calories, or 54 g protein a day, which is slightly higher than the RDI of .8 g per kg of body weight for non-active individuals, and probably enough to sustain your activity levels. If you are also doing some light resistence training, you can increase your protein intake to 25% or 1.2 g per kg of body weight (= 67 g of protein), but that is up to you.

Your fat intake comes in at 17% of your total caloric intake. This is a bit lower than the recommended 25-30%, but I think you may be okay here -- your body doesn't need high amounts, but you do need to make sure it gets some essential fatty acids and unsaturated fats and less saturated fats. Peanut butter is good, which is mainly monounsaturated, and salmon and seafood (esp. fatty fish) are good sources of omega-3 fats.

For fiber, you're taking in 16 g from mostly complex carbs. The recommendation is 25-35 g a day. You can gradually add more fiber by increasing your fruit intake and making sure your salads contain vegetables that are good fiber sources, like broccoli or eggplant.

Overall, your activity level is great, so keep that up. I also don't think your diet is too bad -- do you feel your best with your current eating plan? You may or may not want to make changes to your macronutrient ratios, depending on whether your diet is already working for you. Make sure you get enough micronutrients, eg. iron, calcium, potassium. My only major concern would be the total number of calories you report, as it seems underestimated for your stats.

Old 04-11-2004, 01:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

not 1000 a day, the day wasnt over yet....... i take in around 1500 calories a day and burn around 2000. I just put it there to show the percentages of protein and carbs i get in from my food intake. oh and well are you saying 32 % protein is too much then? cause i do some weightlifting (bodypump) and im trying to built some muscle to increase metabolism.

Last edited by justme_; 04-11-2004 at 01:23 PM.

Old 04-11-2004, 05:02 PM   #9

tah4349 HB User

Quote:
Oh I see, but about the smoked salmon. Are it's advantages worth the amount of sodium? I mean, fish it good right? How about self-prepared cooked salmon then? How much sodium should I take in a day? What's the maximum amount I'm allowed to take in daily?
Your diet isn't particularly high in sodium to begin with, so the smoked salmon once in a while probably isn't going to be a problem. Just keep in mind that if you're trying to lose weight, things high in sodium will cause water retention. Fresh salmon you bake or otherwise prepare yourself is a fabulous alternative. Fish is a wonderful addition to your diet, and if you prepare it in a healthy way, it only gets better.

Old 04-11-2004, 08:07 PM   #10

malibu3216 HB User

I think your diet plan is awesome. You have a good balance of carbs, sugars, and proteins, and i especially like the fact that you are into good fats like peanut butter. the fact that you are exercising like the way you do is excellent as well. i think your diet should prove to be quite a success. good luck!

Old 04-12-2004, 03:03 AM   #11
(male)

grillo7 HB User

Don't worry about leaving out the yolk. Recent research has shown no elevated cholesterol levels from egg consumption, and there's actually a lot of benefits as well.

Overall, it looks really good. You might want to consider taking a daily multivitamin, plus a seperate 100% calcium pill because your diet seemed somewhat deficient there. It's good that you're getting the peanut butter and salmon as good sources of fat. You might also consider integrating olive oil into your salad. Also, check your bread for partially hydrogentated oil (trans fat). Ideally, you'll want to find one that's made with a different fat source, as ANY trans fat is very bad for you.

Old 04-12-2004, 06:37 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

oh, thanks all for your comments, ill try to work on that stuff anyway, about the sodium, it only causes water weight then eh? so it has absolutely nothing to do with my bodyfat? cause well water weight can get off easily the thing i'm really workin on is my bodyfat. not that i don't do anything about it tho, i drink lots of water.

Old 04-13-2004, 05:56 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

oh, hmm would it be better then if i added cooked vegetables such as broccoli or beans (every other day) and burn another extra 200 calories to make up for it?

Old 04-13-2004, 07:17 AM   #14

tah4349 HB User

Quote:
oh, hmm would it be better then if i added cooked vegetables such as broccoli or beans (every other day) and burn another extra 200 calories to make up for it?
You're not getting enough calories as of right now. As someone else pointed out, you need to be between 1200-1400. Eat the broccoli and beans, and don't try extra hard to burn them off. The increased calories will put you in a better position to work efficiently.

Old 04-13-2004, 12:40 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

as i said.... i get in around 1500 calories.. which is over 1400..

Closed Thread