It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2004, 05:35 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
anyone here on the Gluten free diet.

Hello you guys,
I'm on this diet because I have no choice but, I do admit its a healthy diet I also gained 20lbs in two months from this diet and, that was my goal of course..This diet is serious work and, must be maintained for life..(celiac)

anyone here living like me..someone, anyone..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2004, 08:12 AM   #2
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User
Re: anyone here on the Gluten free diet.

Hi Mario!
I'm on a low gluten diet. But I'm not a celiac sufferer. However, there are plenty who visit these boards who are! Trouble is, most of them post in the "digestive disorders" section of the board.
I did a brief search (have you discovered the lovely search feature? It's on the upper right bar) and found these: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/search.php?searchid=143728[/url]

best wishes,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
(female)

cricketchicket HB User

Hi there...I thought I would reply...

I am a Celiac and have been on a gluten free diet for about 7 years, now. It works very well. Although I never *thought* I reacted to gluten too much, the scan they did of my intestines (ew...!) told a different story. Anyway, now that i have been on the gluten free diet I am much healthier!! No stomach problems, I rarely get sick anymore...it is great. It is just hard to make a decend muffin or pancake...and gluten-free food is expensive! Anyway, I am here if you need any advice!

Old 04-24-2004, 12:23 PM   #4

Aston HB User

Hi Cricket, im interested, did you have a positive blood test first to gluten?

Old 04-26-2004, 05:20 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hey cricket since you've been on it for so long..
tell me what you eat...??

and, yes the GF products are really expensive, it kinda makes you think twice before purchasing them..

Old 04-28-2004, 09:07 PM   #6
(female)

DancingDiva HB User

i do not have ciliac, but this past year we did think that i had a gluten allergy, but my allergy test came up negative, so we have concluded that i have a condition involving an over-production of candidias in my body which requires me to stay off, or severly limit, my intake of yeast and anything that your body treates as sugar (i.e. lactose, fructose, and glucose) which pretty much keeps me off of anything that contains gluten...it's been pretty hard for me because i just went off to college this year so i have had to contend with discovering this condition and trying to survive the dining hall (it's a disaster)....i've been doing pretty well eating a lot of vegetables and salads and such and homemade soup that my mom makes for me but if anyone has any types of meals or such that can be made and frozen for later i would really appreciate ideas!!! the gluten free food is too expensive for a poor college girl...lol!

but yes, Losec20mg, i know how you are feeling and i know it can be hard...i've gotten pretty good at not cheating (i now get really bad stomache aches if i do) but the one thing i still crave is a toasted bagel and cream cheese i don't think i'll ever get over that craving....lol...i loved bagels too much....

-DancingDiva

Old 04-29-2004, 08:34 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

you can get GF bagels and, you can have the cream cheese (philadelphia)..

what scares me is that its life long..

Old 05-01-2004, 03:08 PM   #8
(female)

cricketchicket HB User

Oops..sorry for not responding for so long...!

Well, since I am also vegetarian, I eat mostly plant-based foods and some grains to begin with. In terms of gluten free items, I buy my bread at health food stores (although many grocery stores here in Canada also sell lots of gluten-free products). I eat plenty of rice, gluten free pasta (also found in some grocery and/or health food stores), potatoes, as well as lots of fresh veggies and fruits. There is a lot out there that you can eat. If you still eat dairy food (I don't consume a large amount of dairy), there are also a lot of options out there for you. Just remember to READ LABELS and understand that gluten can be disguised as MANY different things (get a print-out of gluten-free/gluten containing foods if you are confused). Avoid processed foods and stick to whole foods if you can.

HOpe this helps!

Old 05-01-2004, 03:12 PM   #9

Aston HB User

Think you missed mine, did you have a positive blood test to gluten?

Old 05-01-2004, 06:04 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

I doubt very much I'm consuming gluten...I'm very carefull and, eat no junk whatsoever..i.e.

meats-fresh
white rice-or brown aswell
pasta GF
veggies
friuts-also canned..mmm yum
yogurt
bread GF
begals GF
waffles GF
cookies GF
chips-plain lays
pure 100% chocolate
ice cream
jello
fish-tuna-salmon-sardines..
omelettes
bacon
pop corn home made
raisins
nuts-pure
friut to go bars
rice crackers
olives
salads
rice cakes
corn cakes(both with spreads)
coffee 100% pure
tea-salada
camomile
pudding
apple sauce-pure organic
cereals GF
milk 2%
cheese
cottage cheese
ficellos
butter
margerine
ricotta
boccocinos
tacos
apple juice
orange juice
7up
water
wine
beer GF
pizza GF
polenta with meat sauce
rice pudding
coca 100% pure
peanut butter 100% nuts
broth GF
eggs
eventually i will introduce more stuff..

Old 05-02-2004, 07:58 AM   #11
(female)

cricketchicket HB User

OOps..sorry again...
No, I did not get a blood test to diagnose my disease. Instead, they placed a tube with a camera attached down my throat and into my stomach to look at my intestines. The villi were damaged...flat, that is...which is how they diagnosed it.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:01 AM   #12

Aston HB User

Thanks, that is very interesting to me, because im sure my 10 year old has a massive problem with gluten, yet the blood test came back negative. I have always thought if they looked at it villi it would be flattened,but of course they wont do it!

Old 05-04-2004, 08:48 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

I tested negative for Celiac (I had blood tests and a colonoscopy), but nevertheless, my diarhea and bloating stopped when I cut down out gluten. Oats actually seem to be worse than wheat, though. According to finerhealth.com, there are probably other types of gluten sensitivity that Celiac. It seems that I can eat wheat without a problem - IF I eat something high-fat, high-protein first, like sausages. I don't know, maybe something to do with stomach acid. Whatever.

Anyway, for me it is a lot easier to just avoid wheat products altogether than to try finding substitues for it. Instead of fake pasta, I just get thai rice noodles. I use a lot of corn tortillas. I do use a GF flour (which I mix myself) to make brownies and cakes, although the are a bit grainy. It took some searching, but I found a cornbread recipe that doesn't call for wheat flour.

Restaurants are becoming very aware of how many people can't have wheat for one reason or another, and I've never had a problem eating out. I just tell the waiters I can't have wheat, and they tell me if anything I order has wheat in it.

I have a list of GF resources on my website, which seems to be down for some reason.

Last edited by Crossbow; 05-04-2004 at 08:52 AM.

Old 05-04-2004, 10:31 AM   #14

Aston HB User

Now that really is interesting, because i have always said my children are worse on oats than anything! How weird, i wonder why that is.

Old 05-04-2004, 03:39 PM   #15
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

One thing to be careful about when eating GF Free foods is that many of them are made with potato starch, tapioca flour,buckwheat fours, etc. these are very high glycemic foods. There is a fine line between balancing the ingredients in GF prepared foods to prevent other problems later on. Look at the fiber content on these mixes and prepared foods, you will see that many of them have little to no fiber, that is a big HINT, GF doesn't always mean it is a healthy choice.

Closed Thread