It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2004, 06:36 PM   #1
(female)

qteepie2005 HB User
Question Thinkin of going fruitarian

I"ve been looking up on it and it seems to be an alright way of eating for me since i am just in love with fruit and raw food. I just get this clean feeling afterwards that just makes me feel great. When i feel like crap sometimes i will just eat a orange or something and feel like i can run a marathon. With diets like this i read that most people don't get enough protein. So my question is can i buy like a protein powder or protein shake to make up for lost protein.I'm not going 100% raw but maybe 89%. I understand with this diet come weight loss(which is the #2 reason i'm changing the way i'm eating) i weigh 159 on a 5'3 frame. I know that looks bad when you put it down but i don't look bad at all. I actually like the way i look. I like the little waist and wide hips i have but just want to get a little of it off. Theres no way i want to be skinny. If i start to get to skinny i will up my cooked foods .But i think the protein i will get from the powder or shake should keep me from getting that small. But what do you'll think about all of this. Should i go this route or should i do something else. Please Help.

Old 04-11-2004, 06:56 PM   #2

llamamuffinmama HB User
Re: Thinkin of going fruitarian

if you do it, eat nuts and seeds for protein. also make sure you take a multi-vitamin or b supplement (for B-12 especially).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2004, 06:03 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User

For any vegetarian, legumes (bean and pea family are a VERY necessary protein source.) Try to make it less FRUITarian and more VEGEtarian so that most of your calories come from complex carbs(starches) instead of sugars like glucose and fructose.
Though fruit is an EXCELLENT body of foods, an ALL fruit diet is really not healthy....not far from an all candy diet!

Last edited by zip2play; 04-12-2004 at 06:04 AM.

Old 04-12-2004, 07:26 AM   #4
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

The human race has evolved as an omnivore. Despite your wishes and feelings, you will not be healthy over time, as a fruititarian. For one thing, fruit does not contain omega 3 or 6. Omega 3 fats (found in cold water fish, flaxseeds, walnuts, wheatgerm, etc.) raise your metabolism, help your kidneys flush water, and lower your triglyceride levels. Omega 6 fats (found in unheated/unprocessed sunflower, safflower oils) is essential for prostaglandin production. Protein is essential for tissue/muscle construction and maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qteepie2005
When i feel like crap sometimes i will just eat a orange or something and feel like i can run a marathon.
You feel this way because of the sugar boost. Sure, it's a natural sugar, but it does result in a sugar "high" nonetheless.
Rather than adopt an extreme eating regimen that will result in unnecessary stress, why not eat every 2-3 hours, stick to fresh, whole vegetables and low glycemic fruit, lean protein and whole grains? Skip sugar, processed foods, whites (flour, pasta, bread, rice, etc.)
In short, eating a healthy omnivorous diet will keep you healthy and in conjuction with exercise, also keep you in peak condition. JMHO!

best wishes,

charli
203/146/146 on the Fat Flush Plan for life and perky to the max!

Last edited by csoar2004; 04-12-2004 at 07:27 AM.

Closed Thread