It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 07:53 PM   #1

jemman HB User
Arrow Help PLEASE

ok i read this...

Balance. Providing balance in your diet involves an intentional inclusion of different foods in proportion to each other based on the value that each food has to your total goal. For some, food choices might include a specific macronutrient balance. Most health organizations recommend a diet consisting of a balance from Carbohydrate at 55-65%, Protein at 10-15% and Fats at no higher than 30% of total calories. Other programs sometimes recommend that the nutrient balances be altered to a 40: 30: 30% or 75: 15: 10% Carbohydrate: Protein: Fat total calorie percent balance, respectively. Lastly, balance refers to choosing healthier foods more often than foods that are less healthy.

and im trying to convert the %ages into grams to see what my ideal ratio would be for the 3 examples above. Carb:Protien:Fat 55-65:10-15:30, 40:30:30, & 75:15:10 based on a 1000-1300 calorie diet.

i also want to know how im comparing in %ages based on what i ate today with 814 Calories, 26Carb:88protien:38Fat

can someone please help me or atleast tutor me to figure it out on my own?? please

i've termed nutrition as a mathematical science and this just proves my point and blows my mind. im sure its just a simple word problem that i'll be like DUH when someone explains it to me, but its so overwhelming.

is there a nutrition for dummies book?

Old 04-15-2004, 06:19 AM   #2

jemman HB User
Re: Help PLEASE

hey- neat site- thanx. i've been using ****** for my journal, but i like the calculators here- although its telling me based on how many calories i burn per day that i will lose the 80 pounds im trying to lose in 3 months i gave myself a year... there cant be such a thing as TOO much exercize- can there?! well- off to read through the FAQs & stuff... thanx again

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2004, 09:29 AM   #3

jemman HB User

ok i think i figured it out- but it makes no sense- going off the 1st example, who the heck consumes 715-845 grams of carbs a day?! unless you're trying to gain weight i guess. i dont think i ever did that even in my cookie eating days. yikes.

it looks like im averaging 3%carbs:5%fat:11%protien i know i should be eating more calories to get my metabolism going, but i really do eat ALOT- its just that its all good for me- which makes it low in Cals... and everything else- i cant imagine eating twice or 3 times what im eating now- i'd be eating constantly.

now when diets like atkins & the sb diet or whatever talk about 20:20:20 to start- are they talking grams or %ages? i should probably just pick up the books and read them- i havent because i dont want to diet- i want to make lifestyle changes, but i need some easy reading to help me understand all this stuff.

Old 04-15-2004, 02:53 PM   #4

scribbles HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemman
ok i think i figured it out- but it makes no sense- going off the 1st example, who the heck consumes 715-845 grams of carbs a day?! unless you're trying to gain weight i guess. i dont think i ever did that even in my cookie eating days. yikes.
It does sound a little excessive -- 2860 carb calories per day.

Quote:
it looks like im averaging 3%carbs:5%fat:11%protien
In a nutritional context, the carb/protein/fat ratio or percentages should equal 100.

I'm not sure how you ended up with the figures that you did, but I'll explain what I did... Hope it makes sense

1) Three of the basic things you need to know. Rounding the numbers,

1 gram of carbohydrate provides 4 calories;
1 gram of protein provides 4 calories; and
1 gram of fat provides 9 calories.

2)
Quote:
and im trying to convert the %ages into grams to see what my ideal ratio would be for the 3 examples above. Carb:Protien:Fat 55-65:10-15:30, 40:30:30, & 75:15:10 based on a 1000-1300 calorie diet.
On a 1000-calorie diet following a 60:10:30 ratio of carb: protein:fat, the breakdown would be:

Carbs: 1000 calories x 60% = 600 calories from carbs (or 600 divided by 4 calories = 150 g of carbs);
Protein: 1000 x 10% = 100 calories (or 25 g);
Fat: 1000 x 30% = 300 calories (or 33 g).

3a)
Quote:
i also want to know how im comparing in %ages based on what i ate today with 814 Calories, 26Carb:88protien:38Fat
Carbs: 26g x 4 calories per gram = 104 calories;
Protein: 88 x 4 = 352 calories;
Fat: 38 x 9 = 342 calories.

Total = 800 calories

3b) What this diet look like in percentages:

Carbs: 104/800 = 13% (13% of your total 800 calories came from carbs)
Protein: 44%
Fat: 43%

Or, 13:44:43 (carb to protein to fat).

Quote:
now when diets like atkins & the sb diet or whatever talk about 20:20:20 to start- are they talking grams or %ages? i should probably just pick up the books and read them- i havent because i dont want to diet- i want to make lifestyle changes, but i need some easy reading to help me understand all this stuff.
The ratios refer to the percentages of your total calories.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:30 PM   #5

jemman HB User

this is what i didnt know & why my #s were so wacky. you've explained it in a way that makes perfect sense. thank you

Old 04-15-2004, 08:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Quote:

this is what i didnt know & why my #s were so wacky. you've explained it in a way that makes perfect sense. thank you

I hope you don't think it disrespectful if I say that there is a great deal more you don't seem to know. As an example, that any diet should include approximately one gram of protein per kilo of body weight, or that for anyone exercising heavily (especially but not exclusively resistance exercise), the figure almost doubles to one gram per pound of body weight. Another example would be the very different values of different fatty acids (not different caolric values, different health value for a given amount of fat), or that fibrous grams do not really count as either calories or carb grams since they are more or less undigested on their trip through the body. And so on. Much to learn.

I'd recommend that you follow your instincts and actually read a couple of books on the subject of eating and all. The Atkins books are terrific--whether you choose to follow his diet or not--for giving some of the most essential details on foods and how your body reacts to or uses them. Protein Power is also very valuable. There are others, but a basic biology or physiology text migh do you some good as well.

Hope this is helpful.

sean

Old 04-16-2004, 12:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

yeah that's what i said.. it's all in the faqs

Old 04-16-2004, 06:05 AM   #8

jemman HB User

sean- i in no way do i feel disrespected. i know that i know close to nothing about nutrition- which is why im here- to help me learn i thought about reading the atkins book & maybe the southbeach book- things of that nature because they would probably be way easier for me to comprehend versus some sort of nutrition textbook- i havent yet because i dont want to follow a diet persay, but to genuinely eat right based on my bodies own needs and the goals i have set for myself. but im sure they will atleast teach me the basics & i can go from there. thanx again... to both of u

Closed Thread