It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 08:20 PM   #1
(female)

baby_bytes HB User
Exclamation emotional eater....and gaining wieght

Me and my family are going through a tough time right now, my grandmother is sick and think she's getting alzheimer's that's all we could think of, anywho, all of this has made me a wrek...i get all nervous, start panicing and to calm down my frustration and emotions, i eat. I've been on a diet for the past 1 and a half and have lost wieght, and still need 20 more lbs to go. This has been going on for a month now, and i started doing this 2 weeks ago where I will just eat when ever i get emotionally down. I'll eat cookies, chocolate, just small stuff, i try to look for anything. Sometimes i try to control myself and i'll eat a salad, but even tho i have fat free dressing i end up putting a lot of it, which i know is not good....how can i stop this? do i need to go to a nutrionist? therapist? what? i've been to the therapist before, only once b/c i have gone thru depression before, but it didn't work for me...I can't go out to do any excersise or do any here at home b/c im taking care of my grandmother, and it's a really big bulk of what i have to do....so i would really appreciate any help or suggestions on what i should do...thanks in advance.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:30 PM   #2

jemman HB User
Re: emotional eater....and gaining wieght

well, taking care of your grandmother should be burning quite a few calories, so, i wouldnt be discouraged by the fact that you cant commit to a formal exercize plan. i dont think you need a nutritionist- it sounds like you know what you need to, you just have to do it. i believe the hardest struggle in wieght management is emotional- you have to seperate your emotions from your eating habits. and even the littlest things add up to tons of carbs and fats and carbs. try committing yourself to making smart food decisions and holding yourself accountable by keeping a journal- either online or in a notebook- count your calories and fat and carbs- adhere to serving suggestions, and dont forget to take care of yourself too ((hugs))

Last edited by jemman; 04-14-2004 at 08:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2004, 03:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Well first of all, you shouldn't use your emotions as an excuse to eat. You should be strong. Think... I can eat this nice slice of chocolate pie right now... and you won't lose weight and in the end it will only make you feel worse, or you won't eat it, and do something that at the moment you feel like so not doing, but you know it will actually make you feel better. It's normal to crave for food, just don't let it take you over. You're in war with your weight.. and everytime you control yourself is a winning battle.
Ah that came out silly... oh well it's just the way I feel about it.
Good luck to you. I know you can do it.

Last edited by justme_; 04-15-2004 at 04:10 AM.

Old 04-15-2004, 02:45 PM   #4

lady_grey HB User

First of all, I am sorry that you are going through all of this. I can only imagine how difficult it is for you. I find that when I am upset, I tend to turn towards food well. For me the best way to be able to eat and not gain weight is to focus on the moderation of what I am eating that is "junk food" I try to fill up on healthy food and give myself enough "junk food" to hit the spot but not make me bindge. I try to eat good protein like peanut butter than will really fill me up so I do not think about food and try to stay busy. I also always make sure that I exercise. I have found that it does wonders for my size and more importantly my mind--I can always think about things more clearly after I exercise. Hope that this helps.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:42 PM   #5
(female)

baby_bytes HB User

justme, i don't eat as an excuse...when i start eating, it's unconciously, when i get nervous...i've catched myself eating junk food, and i'm like why and when in the world did i get this??? i don't even have time to do any exercise, i've been the one who has taken the bulk of this whole situation with my grandmother, i take care of my grandmother more hours than anyone who lives at home, so i don't have time to even do my homework from college, i'm behind in that and im my exercise routine...since my grandmother we think she's getting that alziemhers, i have to be up and down watching after her, so since im here stuck at home, i just grab something without even noticing because my head is in just on my grandmother. it's all been so overwhelming, just something that happened unexpectedly with my grandma...thanks for the responses.

Closed Thread