It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2004, 06:29 PM   #1

supersuperninja HB User
flax seed

I recently started taking a few tablespoons of flax seed meal every day and I was wondering how long have I got until it goes bad and how can I tell whether it goes bad since it has such an odd taste and smell to begin with?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 08:00 AM   #2
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User
Re: flax seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuperninja
I recently started taking a few tablespoons of flax seed meal every day and I was wondering how long have I got until it goes bad and how can I tell whether it goes bad since it has such an odd taste and smell to begin with?
The good stuff in flax seed (lignans and omegas) starts to deteriorate as soon as the seed is ground. Therefore, it's best to buy whole flax seed and grind your own (coffee bean grinder works great!) for 2-3 seconds (it should look like sawdust in consistency) as you need it. If you grind more than a couple tablespoons at a time, store the ground flax in a dark airtight container in the fridge. Also, it's not a good idea to consume more than 3-4 tablespoons of ground flax per day.
Whole seeds may be stored in cupboard. Milled seeds will be "good" for about a week when stored in airtight container in the fridge.
Flax meal -seeds that have been ground to flour consistency- doesn't give you near the benefit of the milled or whole seeds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 03:19 PM   #3

supersuperninja HB User

thanks for the info. how long should a bag of whole flax seed be good for?

Old 04-24-2004, 07:42 AM   #4
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuperninja
thanks for the info. how long should a bag of whole flax seed be good for?
Whole seed lasts a long, long time. However, I generally go through a couple pounds per month.

Old 08-01-2004, 10:04 AM   #5
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

i eat a 1/4 cup a day, 4 tbsps. i grind it in a coffee grinder[makes about 1/2 cup after grinding] i cook it with oats for ten minutes. it does wonders for me.
i'm off antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds, allergy and asthma improved 90%, i don't feel cold any more[serious problem for over ten years] and my exercise capacity has improved 33% to 50%, it's a wonder food for me. just started eating this amount daily on june 21, 2004. i didn't have to wait long to start feeling much better. good luck.

Old 08-01-2004, 06:36 PM   #6
Inactive

SaraLee HB User

Can you buy flax seed in oil form? And if so, is it just as good for you as the ground seeds? Thanks
SaraLee

Old 08-02-2004, 12:56 PM   #7
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

the oil is a lot more expensive. the oil is good, but has no fiber or protein. i'd go with eating the ground flax seed. a half cup a day only costs me twelve cents. i started w/ 1 tbsp and gradually increased it.

Old 08-06-2004, 07:59 AM   #8

Veggie_chick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraLee
Can you buy flax seed in oil form? And if so, is it just as good for you as the ground seeds? Thanks
SaraLee
If you buy 'Health from the Sun' Total EFA you have lignans, borage oil, primrose, flax oil and the recommended daily amount of omegas 3, 6, and 9. It comes in a black bottle and you must keep it refrigerated and do NOT use it to cook with.

Old 08-06-2004, 11:44 PM   #9
(female)

fawn512 HB User

is it possible to eat the whole flax seed without grinding it? I don't think i know what a flaxseed looked like. Is it available in grocery stores?

Closed Thread