It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 08:44 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Why does dairy have so much fat??

Why is it that dairy products like milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, etc. all have proportional amounts of calories and fat, but an extreme amount of saturated fat? I have a fetish for string cheese and while I notice there is only about 80 calories per stick and about 7% fat, there's a whopping 15% saturated fat in one stick too!! I know that may not be much (to me it's not seeing as I consider string cheese to be a meal), but in comparison to the other amounts listed it is.

Like I had previously asked, why is it dairy has so much saturated fat?

Dark Stranger

Old 04-24-2004, 02:05 AM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: Why does dairy have so much fat??

Short answer...and not being sarcastic either.....for calves to grow up big and strong. It just so happens, Humans have resorted and used dairy products as an important food source since the beginnings of herding. In some cultures, it is goat or sheep. In others, cattle.

Goat dairy products has less saturated fats than cattle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User

Hello, You must be looking at the whole milk products. If you look at the part skim, light, or skim milk products; you will find lower fat or no fat products. Polly O' puts out a good light string cheese. You just have to make sure it's fresh and kept cold. Whole milk mozz. has the least amount of fat, if you have to have whole milk. Philadelphia brand puts out a really good light cream cheese with only 4.5 grams of total fat. (It's just creamier than the regular.) I don't like the fat free cream cheese, because it has no flavor and has the texture of rubber. There are a lot of good fat-free/non-fat ice-creams and frozen yogurts. Just make sure you buy a flavored one, instead of the vanila and watch out for the sugar free. The sugar free one takes a lot of getting used to. If you don't like the looks of skim milk like me, the vanil.a soy milks are too bad. I have also found a really good reduced fat chedder cheese put out by Cabot's, that tastes like the "real" thing. (I can't wait to get home and make my low-fat cheese spread out of it.) Yogurts are also low-fat. I just can't seem to find a high fat yogurt for my son anymore. Even Gogurt is low-fat! (He's too skinny.) For fat-free sour cream, I only buy Breakstone's. You just need to try different products.

Low-fat cheese spread....Shredded light chedder cheese, (white) fat-free/low-fat mayo, and sliced olives. Mix it all together and enjoy it on a fat-free salteen cracker or Norwegian flat bread.

Old 04-26-2004, 04:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger
Like I had previously asked, why is it dairy has so much saturated fat?
That's the way nature made the milk. Of course many would argue that the saturated fat in dairy is good to you if it is organic, unpasteurized and unhomogenized.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:11 PM   #5

llamamuffinmama HB User

mammals' milk is designed for the infants of their respective species who are in a time of rapid growth and development and require very rich (i.e. fatty) sources of nutrition to support this. not for adults of any species. and cows milk is no more designed for human consumption than dog milk, giraffe milk, hamster milk or monkey milk are...

Old 04-26-2004, 07:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

You are also misreading the percentages. Don't feel bad, everybody does. The percentage figures are the percent of a daily allotment one serving of the food provides, based on a 2000 calorie per day diet.
That's why you can read that it has 7% total fat, but 15% saturated fat--how else would this make sense, since the saturated fat is a fraction of the total fat. It's because the serving provides 7% of the fat recommended in a 2000 calorie diet, but 15% of the total they'd recommend you get from saturated fats. Because, of course, they (the FDA or the USDA, I walways forget which) recommend that you get only part of your fat from saturated fats.
This is the stupidest part of a generally well-meaning truth in labelling law, and it confuses everybody.

In summary, the percentages you read there are NOT, not the percentage of that food which is made up of the listed nutrient--fat or other. They are percentages of a mythical, recommended diet.

Focus on the gram counts--these are exact, they are not theoretical, and you can really learn a bit about foods if you read enough of these labels. Not the percent parts, though. These just refuse to make sense, even to someone who thinks he knows how to read them.

Hope this helps.

sean

p.s. just to stimulate more thought and discussion, the truth is that most dairy products are not really all that fat-rich. They measure a bit fattier than average among our many foods that range from nearly fat-free (fruit) to more fatty than milk (nuts, for example), to very fatty indeed (oils, butter, etc.)

Old 04-27-2004, 06:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamamuffinmama
mammals' milk is designed for the infants of their respective species who are in a time of rapid growth and development and require very rich (i.e. fatty) sources of nutrition to support this. not for adults of any species. and cows milk is no more designed for human consumption than dog milk, giraffe milk, hamster milk or monkey milk are...
What is your criteria for determining whether a food is designed for a particular species or not?

Old 04-27-2004, 09:09 AM   #8

llamamuffinmama HB User

did you breast feed when you were an infant?

if so, was it from your mother or from a cow?

would you suckle at the teat of a cow? or of a hamster or a squirrel or an aligator?

Last edited by llamamuffinmama; 04-27-2004 at 09:10 AM.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

If that response was supposed to answer my question, it really doesn't tell me much about the criteria you use.

What is your point? That if you are not going to put your mouth at the source of the foodstuff, it was not designed for you to eat? So, if you want a carrot, you gnaw it out of the ground with your teeth?

Old 04-27-2004, 12:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

are u saying nonfat milk/yogurt isn't diary? or 30 percent less fat cheese etc. Besides... How can something that has 7% of fat.... have 16% of saturated fat... hmmmmmmmmm I always thought saturated fat was fat.

Old 04-27-2004, 02:11 PM   #11

llamamuffinmama HB User

it's pretty basic. mammals lactate only when they are pregnant or have recently given birth. this includes humans, it includes cows, etc.

we produce milk to nurture our young. that's all i'm saying.

Old 04-27-2004, 07:56 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_
are u saying nonfat milk/yogurt isn't diary? or 30 percent less fat cheese etc. Besides... How can something that has 7% of fat.... have 16% of saturated fat... hmmmmmmmmm I always thought saturated fat was fat.
yes, your last sentence reflects exactly the misunderstanding of the percentages on labels that I was trying to call attention to.

In fact, full fat milk or yogurt or cottage cheese are all about 4% fat. The same label that reveals this will also tell you that an average serving provides about or 8 percent of the recommended fat suggested for a 2,000 calorie diet, and about 15 percent of the recommended amount of saturated fat in that same day's 2,000 calories. All within a product that is only about 3.5 or 4 percent fat.

How is this possible? The percents are of different things. The label requirement that foods tell us what percent they provide of a day's 2,000 caloried diet has just led to exactly this confusion, over and over. It seems almost impossible to wipe it out. The label requirement should just be changed.

As to the first part of your post, I don't understand it.

Hope I helped a bit, though.

sean

Old 04-27-2004, 08:01 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
did you breast feed when you were an infant?

if so, was it from your mother or from a cow?

would you suckle at the teat of a cow? or of a hamster or a squirrel or an aligator?
I think Auntjudy's point was, what food WAS "designed" to be eaten by an adult human? A carrot was not "designed" to be eaten by anything. It is a root, it was designed to dig deep and find water, store carbon and sugar, etc. An egg was not "designed" to be eaten by anyone other than maybe a weasel--it was "designed" to hatch and make a bird.

So what in the world does it mean to say that dairy products were "designed" to be eaten only by cows and not "designed" to be eaten by adult human beings?
NOTHING was--we are omnivores who have discovered that carrots, and apples, and eggs, and milk, and meat can all be consumed, and safely. Even though all these products were "designed" to do something OTHER than sustain human life, they do so nonetheless. So we eat them.

sean

Old 04-27-2004, 09:34 PM   #14

llamamuffinmama HB User

i see your point. i didn't mean to offend anybody.

but still... we could eat our own babies and it would probably sustain human life just as well, yet we'd probably call it "unnatural" in that case.

tomato tomahto

Old 04-28-2004, 09:51 AM   #15
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Quote:
... we could eat our own babies and it would probably sustain human life just as well, yet we'd probably call it "unnatural" in that case.
We'd call it illegal!!!!

To get back to saturated fats, the fats in diary especially if it is raw and organic is very healthy if someone doesn't have an allergy to dairy. Saturated fats are not the fats that one should be scared of, instead very processed oils, hydrogenated and trans fats are what are now being "discovered" as being the true artery cloggers. I don't see how eating dairy is unnatural, but then again reality is perception.

Closed Thread