It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2004, 09:00 AM   #1
Inactive

Kali HB User
Atkins induction and ketosis. Few ?'s.

I would like to hear how everyone else faired during the induction period on the atkins diet. I am exactly one week into it and have had a head ache on and off for 2 days, as well as flew like body aches (starting yesterday with no other flew symptoms to date).

I hear it is normal to have head aches as you go into ketosis, as well as a dip in energy levels (which I am also experiencing).

It is also supposed to pass, and you will resume normal, if not higher energy levels as your body adjusts, but the reason I ask is because I have been prescribed a new pain killer for my back and am wondering if these symptons could also be from that.

I don't take a lot of these pain killers, mostly in the evenings, and am well below what is concidered habit forming. I'm wondering if the aches (body and head) are withdrawls from the pain killers (I'm paranoid about becoming addicted will actually wait until extreme pain before I take them), or if they are from ketosis.

I don't think it's the flew. I have no other symptoms, just achey.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Erin

PS, I have not taken any pain killers today, I want to see what happens with out them. I suspect ketosis.

Old 04-24-2004, 10:09 AM   #2

00cera00 HB User
Re: Atkins induction and ketosis. Few ?'s.

one thing i hate about the atkins diet is that you need LOTS of supplements to balance all of the nutrients you aren't getting from your diet. try atkins basic 3 multivitamin. personally, i recommend the south beach diet. it's a lot healthier and more balanced.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2004, 10:26 AM   #3
Inactive

Kali HB User

I am taking suppliments; 'Essential Daily Defense', which is a complete detox suppliment containing niacin, Vit B6, Vit C, D, Garlic, MSM, Malic Acid, etc, etc.

Like I also said, I have back problems, and for that I take Glucosamine/Chondroitin.

Last year I had a post-op blood clot, and since then have been taking Nattokinaise (natural blood thinning enzyme), and Calcium/Magnesium.

I might also mention that my father in law is a doctor and owns a natural health clinic and I am doing this under complete supervision, and my suppliments have been layed out in a program to coincide with my diet by a naturopath. Also, because of my blood clot I have a complete blood panel every week, tri-gliceride and cholesteral tests, hormones, etc etc.

I have another appointment on Monday, which I am going to bring this up in, but my ORIGINAL QUESTION was seeking the experiences of those have been on the diet and have gone through the induction phase, not advice regarding the diet itself. I want to hear other peoples experiences.

I have read and researched the available avenues for weightloss, and with the supervision of professionals that I trust, this is the 'diet' I have chosen.

I would like to hear from others who been through induction, not opinions regarding my choice of weightloss programs.

Thank-you

Erin

Last edited by BluButt; 04-24-2004 at 10:28 AM.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:33 AM   #4

Shane S HB User

Any time the body reacts like that, it's telling you "stop this." Those who insist on ignoring the warning signs have indicated mixed results, either that they go away after a short while or they persist until it becomes a failed diet attempt.

It's unlikely it's the pain killer, but what's it called?

Old 04-24-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
Inactive

Kali HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane S
Any time the body reacts like that, it's telling you "stop this." Those who insist on ignoring the warning signs have indicated mixed results, either that they go away after a short while or they persist until it becomes a failed diet attempt.

It's unlikely it's the pain killer, but what's it called?

It's called tramadol.

Have you ever been on the atkins diet? If not, thanx for the comment, but it didn't answer my question.

Will someone who has been through the induction phase please share their experience with me?

Erin

Old 04-25-2004, 05:00 AM   #6
Inactive

Kali HB User

Well, it's deffinitly the flu! My fever peaked last night at 103, along with vommiting, sweats, twitches, extreme body aches, extreme head ache, sore chest (hurt to breath).

I feel much better this morning, althought my chest feels as though it is breaking up, (like I want to cough something up), and my nose is running.

What a misserable night!! I have never had a flu come on that quick and that strong before.

Anyway, thanx for the concern; re:atkins, but it's just the flew. A bad one at that!!

I'm just a worry wart.

Erin

Last edited by BluButt; 04-25-2004 at 05:03 AM.

Closed Thread