It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

heather6869 HB User
Omlet

Ok, I need some help. I have no idea how to make an omlet. Could anyone help me out here? Also what are your fav. fillings?

Thanks!!
Heather
117 CW
115 GW

Old 04-28-2004, 05:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User
Re: Omlet

Omelets are one of the easiest foods to make ! Here's how to make one omelet (for 1 person).
Take two eggs and crack them in a bowl. Add a lil milk (1-2 tablespoons) and beat them with a fork till the mixture is a pale yellow colour throughout.
Heat up a non-stick pan on the stove (on a medium heat) with a little butter/non stick spray on it. Its great if you have a small circular pan about the size of a medium plate-thats the perfect size for a single omelet. If not, just use any size you have- but remember that it will spread out more, so it will cook faster. When the butter melts or the spray starts to kind of evaporate, the pan is ready.
Pour your egg mixture right into the pan, slowly- so you dont splash all over the place! While its cooking (you can cover it to speed it up, but it really doesnt make much difference) get out your filling----
* My favourite filling is a slice of processed cheese (ie Kraft Singles) & a handful or so of shredded ham or turkey (i just rip up sliced deli meat with my hands)

Back to your cooking eggs- It should take a couple of minutes or so, but watch carefully! When the top of the eggs (the part you can see) is pretty much set (there might be a teeny bit of liquid still, but not much), the egg is cooked. THIS IS THE TRICKY PART! Take a plate big enough to fit the entire flat egg on. Shake the pan/use a spatula to get the egg to slide onto the plate, cooked side down. Once its onto the plate, hold the bottom of the plate and hold the pan over top of the cooked egg (so that the non-cooked side and the pan are facing each other) and FLIP so that the un-cooked side is now onto the pan. Dont worry if the egg breaks- this is the hardest thing to do! If it does break, just push the egg back together (on the pan) so that its close to the original shape.
Then, QUICKLY put the cheese slice and meat (or whatever your filling is) on HALF the omelet. Wait a minute, then, using a spatula, fold the other half (with no filling on it) over the filling. annnnnnnnnnnnnd youre done!
Hope this helps- tell me how it goes and good luck! Bon appetit!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 06:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

I'm glad girlygirl could help with the cooking, because I just do omelets for myself and they are very messy.

But, at this time of year my favorite addition is asparagus; spinach and cheese is another favorite; and/or onions; and/or brocolli.

(Don't worry all, I won't propose okra again.)

Old 04-29-2004, 06:37 AM   #4
Inactive

zip2play HB User

I make for two and the flip is too tough because the omelet is big.

My method:
5 eggs and an ounce of water whipped to a froth in a mixer.
Into a greased, hot 12 inch skillet.
After about 30 seconds I cover with ingredients (usually a very cheesy component or just cheeses). Delicious additions are cooked spinach, sauteed onions, chopped up ham or pastrami, anchovies....ANYTHING you love.

Since simple folding doesn't melt my cheese the way I like it, I stick it in the broiler till the cheese melts, the whole thing goes golden and puffs up somewhat.
If I'm feeling lucky I'll turn it over on itself as I plate it....but it often cracks and oozes so usually I serve it like a pie. Slice in 2 big pieces...or 4 kiddie size.
Topped with a bit of heated salsa....fit for a king.
Inside should be hot but still a bit "wet."
My version is sort of halfway between an omelette and a frittatta (which I find a bit too dry for my taste.)

N.B. if using a non metal handled skillet, make sure to wrap the handle with foil before putting in the broiler or you get "cooked handle" (not a delicacy!)

A delicious huge omelet is something I have (guiltily) at least 2 or 3 times a month.

Last edited by zip2play; 04-29-2004 at 06:46 AM.

Closed Thread