It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 08:11 PM   #1

Robin213 HB User
What do you all eat?

Im trying to start eating healthier, and i dont know where to start.
Im 26 yrs old. I am 5"7 and 168 lbs.

Im making changes in my life, and i need to start eating healthier, for me to feel good about myself, and for my health. I never eat breakfast. I am a night owl, and i havent done much exercise's either. about 8 months ago i started to just ignore my hunger and just not eat i just picked alot and drank alot of water. I lost 30 lbs got to 140 and now im back to where i started. I know it wasnt a healthy way to lose the weight. I am going on a cruise in June to Bermuda. I want to start a diet asap. I know i wont shed them pounds before the cruise but i will feel better knowing i will be losing weight. I just dont know how to start? I eat fast food alot , Bagels with cream cheese, and i LOVE my soda. I just dont have the will power for anything even to starve myself lol i always get hungry anymore!!!! What diets do you all do? What do you eat alot of and what do you stay away from? Please let me know. Im so miserable right now! Thanks

Old 04-28-2004, 08:29 PM   #2
(female)

DancingDiva HB User
Re: What do you all eat?

i would suggest starting by replacing one meal a day, or maybe every other day, with a salad of some sort because vegetables are extremely good for you and a chicken cesar salad can be rather filling too....

try to eat some form of breakfast because they have had studies that show if a person skips breakfast, they are more likely to overeat all day, whereas those who eat breakfast tend to eat more sensibly throughout the day....it keeps your body from going into starvation mode...even if it is just yogurt and friut or something easy in the morning...it doesn't have to be big, it just has to be something...if you want your bagel with cream cheese, then have it....just don't over do it...

drink lots and lots of water because water helps to speed up your metabolism and flush out fat...i always keep a glass on my desk and i always keep it filled and i find myself drinking from it all day long without even really realizing it...

i know it sounds hard, but limit yourself to one soda a day, or week...whatever you can handle...think how much better a soda would taste if you hadn't had one for an entire week...it is ok to treat yourself to your weaknesses every once in a while....whenever you feel like you want a soda, drink some more water and it might take a couple of weeks but if you can make it thorugh that then you won't really crave sodas anymore...force your body to want water rather than sodas...

those are my suggestions for the basics and other than that, if you want more of a strict diet that's laid out in front of you, my dad had a lot of success with the south beach diet...it didn't work for my mom or me but it worked very well for him...

hope i helped!
-DancingDiva

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 08:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

South Beach is working well for me too. I've lost 13 pounds in a month with no exercise at all.

Old 04-29-2004, 02:57 PM   #4
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

Eating a good breakfast, means as the name says..."Breaking your Fast". Gives you energy for the beginning of the day, gets your metabolism into gear and you will less likely overeat later.

Because of my husbands' workhours, I am a night owl too but that should not stop you from eating properly. We generally get up about 11am or Noon to begin our day. work starts in the afternoon through the night into early morning (own our business) living in the Desert makes this a necessity during the Summer.

You should eat 5-6 small meals during your waking "day". About every three hours to help keep your metabolism up and to burn bodyfat. Up your protein to about one gram per pound of lean body weight or close to it. Eat more complex carbs (whole grains/veggies) cut back the refined/overly processed ones. Cut sugars and drink plenty of water. Some fats are needed but keep to ones like Olive oil/flaxseed and nuts.

Including some form of exercise WILL get you back on track to lose those pounds again. Keep in mind, you have to learn patience, give yourself time and stay determined/motivated. A combination of resistance lifting and cardio will help keep your metabolism up and turn your body into a fat burning engine. Building lean muscle mass does burn fat as the body takes the bodyfat for the energy while working out. Lifting forces your body to work harder than just cardio alone. Also it will help make you "toned" to look good for that cruise.

A three day split, lifting moderately heavy weights for 4 sets of 10 reps with a minute's rest between sets. Do this for an hour/90 minutes. Cardio can be included right after or on the off lifting days.

What you will be doing is reestablish a better lifestyle, improving your health and looking better too. I did this over a year ago when weighing 245lbs....now I am down to 180 and into premarriage clothes sizes for the first time in 33 years...and keeping it down. Gained some muscle, looking at the scale, but muscle is denser that bodyfat. I prefer the look I have now to what I was before starting.

But diet is most important to keep your body in balance no matter what exercise you decide to take.

Old 04-29-2004, 03:07 PM   #5

vicklynn HB User

I was in the hospital last year with an infected colon and of course cancer runs very high in my family. Thank God I came clean. Anyway during my stay their I was told to go on a high fiber low fat diet. Well this all seems pretty easy for me, I love new things. Did ya know that you can eat your 5 types of foods like we were taught so many years ago and still watch our carbs. Wow, if ya read the products you buy you will find that there are many ways to still eat what you want and loose. My husband got a wake up call with my hospitalation, hes lost about 35 lbs. Spends time reading and searching the products he buys and still gets his deserts in. Dont go on some fad diet that tells you you cant eat this or that. Just eat more healthy and watch your fats, carbs and fiber. I did find that spenda is ok for us to have. I drink diet rite, no fat, calories or carbs. Milk no fat is great when your used to it. Try searching your local store(i use walmart)they carry everything I LOVE. P.S. I lost 20 and did I tell you we didnt exercise. Can u imagine if we did.

Closed Thread