It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2004, 10:11 PM   #1

AngelB24 HB User
Need to eat normally again

Over the past year I have developed unhealthy eating habits (eating too few calories) and I have dropped to an unhealthy weight. I have caught my problem just in time and am currently in therapy, but my real problem is that I dont even remember what its like to eat normally anymore because I am so used to restricting myself to a certain number of calories. If you dont mind me asking, about how many calories do you consume for breakfast/ lunch/ dinner when you are not trying to loose weight, but maintain it? How many calories should I intake in order for me to consider it an actual meal? Thanks for any input in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2004, 02:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User
Re: Need to eat normally again

A normal, healthy person maintaining their wieght takes in from 2000-2200 calories/day. Usually its about 500 calories for all 3 meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner), and then 2-3 smaller snacks of about 250 calories (betwn meals or add them on to meals if you would like a bigger dinner, as many ppl do). Try to get in proteins, dairy, fruits and veg and starches- most of your diet should be starches!! For breakfast for ex- 500 calories would be:
one entree (2-3 pancakes and syrup, waffles and syrup, 2 slices toast and butter (and jam if you like-next to no calories), a bagel and cream cheese/butter, a cup of cereal and milk, a doughnut, a small muffin, a danish, 2 eggs and 2 slices bacon/2 slices toast etc.)
+ one whole fruit
+ yogurt
+juice or milk
If you follow this for breakfast, it takes you to about 500 calories-purrrrfect! Then for lunch and dinner, follow the same idea:
one entree-> a sandwich with meat/cheese (2 slices bread, 1 bun, ~5 cm of a baguette), or a frozen entree, or 1 serving starch (1 cup pasta (with 1/2 c sauce), rice, 1 bun/ 2 slices bread, etc)+ one serving meat (one chicken breast, a fist-sized portion of beef, fish, pork,etc)+ veggies (any amount..theyre have minimal calories even in large amounts..have a salad (with dressing), or any other veggies like carrots, broccoli, beans etc mixed with a tbsp of butter/oil),
+ a drink- glass of juice, milk, pop, wine, etc
+ a dessert- 2 cookies, a yogurt, an ice cream cone (1/2 cup+ cone), 1 slice of cake/pie, a tart, a fruit, a granola bar, etc

For a snack, (~250 calories) have a fruit and drink, 2 cookies and milk/juice, a granola bar and juice, 2 slices cheese and 4 crackers and juice, 2 brownies and milk, a small bag of chips, 1/2 a bag of popcorn (its very light), a slice of cake/pie, etc..mix and match these.
Hopefully this will help you..im on a meal plan after getting into trouble with the amt i was eating and am working on changing that with this plan. Its pretty god b/c it incorporates foods that are healthy and foods that arent looked at as healthy but we all want to eat! Good luck with everything!-- Remember though! If you have been eating only a little bit, you will begin to feel bloated when you start eating normally again. YOU ARE NOT GAINING WEIGHT. Your body is just processing food slowly b/c its not used to it. Keep eating what youre supposed to any you'll get over this bloating pretty quickly. You will also probably have to force yourself to eat sometimes- you just arent used to eating normal amounts- dont go by hunger cues for the first little while until you feel everything is under control in a good way. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2004, 07:48 AM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User

I have an ancient National Academy of Science table that I think has remained a fairly good reference over the decades.

Angel, I will assume you are a female who has a target weight in mind (no not the OLD 82 pounds) and I'll assume between 18 and 35.

99#........1700 kcal for maintenance
110#.......1850
121#.......2000
128#.......2100.

This is for an average activity level.
If you are older, a progressive lowering of caloric needs occurs at every particular weight.
For example in the age group 35-55 yrs., that 110 pounder had best trim her intake to 1650.

Last edited by zip2play; 05-02-2004 at 07:49 AM.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:21 AM   #4

AngelB24 HB User

Thank you both for the replies. I really had no idea how much I was off on my intake, seeing as though Im still young and I could be doing damage to my body. The tough part now is just being able to eat normally again without hesitation. I am trying to take small steps...hopefully I will be there soon. Thanks again.

Old 05-04-2004, 08:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

You might try going to weight watchers - they have a maintenance plan.

Old 06-05-2004, 10:16 PM   #6
(female)

fawn512 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelB24
Thank you both for the replies. I really had no idea how much I was off on my intake, seeing as though Im still young and I could be doing damage to my body. The tough part now is just being able to eat normally again without hesitation. I am trying to take small steps...hopefully I will be there soon. Thanks again.
i assume ur a girl...u wsaid u dropped to an unhealthy weight..doesn't that stopped ur period?

I try to drop weight too..that was before. i eat so little amount of protein. Then i stopped menstruating. I'm not sure if that's the reason though...But now i eat the regular amount of carbs/protein/fat and still my period is irregular

Old 06-05-2004, 10:55 PM   #7

AngelB24 HB User

yes I stopped my period over 5 months ago, and I am hoping to get it back soon because my nutritionist warned me of the dangers of not having it. I am slowly increasing my calorie intake and it has been very tough, but I know it is for the best. I am also starting a group therapy program next week which I never thought I would be doing, but I just want to be normal again and I have been told this is the best way to get there. Take care all..

Old 06-08-2004, 11:36 PM   #8
(female)

fawn512 HB User

So ur not having ur period now? u know, i went to a gynecologist for this. And it turned out, i have mulitple cysts in both my ovaries. and diagnosed me with having Polycystic ovarian syndrome. which in the future might hinder me from conceiving.

Glad to heat that ur eating now.

Old 06-09-2004, 10:25 PM   #9

AngelB24 HB User

How long did you go without your period when you found that out..if you dont mind me asking?

Old 06-10-2004, 04:50 PM   #10
(female)

fawn512 HB User

i don't thnk im anorexic. i'm just picky with the food i eat (mostly i eat carbs). It's been a year ago that i've been irregular and after about 4 months without my period. i went to a gynecologist and had an ultrasound and found out that i have cyts in my ovaries. Then she gave me medication for me to menstruate (coz she said she's worried about my bones getting brittle bcoz of it)

After 8 months of taking medications, i stopped to see if my body can now function normlly. Sad to say, it didn't now i'm not having my period for2 months now. I have to get by to my ob-gyne soon! I'm this ms.procrastinate kind of girl hehe

Are you eating normal now? i mean are u having a hard time eating food? Coz most anorexics i read are having a veeery hard time recovering. Good thing you see to make it. congratulations

Old 06-10-2004, 07:12 PM   #11

AngelB24 HB User

wow, that is very scary. I hope things turn out ok for you.
Yes, I am trying to eat normally again. At least I feel like I am eating soo much because I am up to 1300 calories on my plan this week... but I am still only about 96 pounds so my body is kind of out of wack. I am hoping that by slowly gaining weight I will get my cycle back, but I'm so scared it wont come. But I don't really see myself as anorexic because I don't starve myself... I just control my calories because of lots of things...I am trying so hard to let go of that control now.

Closed Thread