It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2004, 09:50 PM   #1
(female)

Idigit HB User
Smile Soda and me

I decided to quit drinking soda about two weeks ago, and I'm loving the newfound energy I have, the clearer skin, and just all around refreshed feeling.. all in just two weeks! I actually did give in to two sodas, one for each week, but that is significant improvement for someone who usually drinks 2+ a day! I'm just really happy about this choice and proud of myself for (mostly) sticking to it, especially being a teen in a world of bad food choices. I've also taken up an interest in cooking, and I've been cooking for my overweight brother and father for about the last 4 or 5 months, and with moderate exercise my dad lost over 20 pounds! I'm actually average weight for a girl my size and underaverage height (possibly due to the overconsumption of carbonated drinks), but I'm still glad that there are better choices out there that really benefit you. Sorry for blabbing, but I'm just feeling very zen with myself right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2004, 08:42 AM   #2
(female)

angel85 HB User
Re: Soda and me

Congrats on the achievment! I wish my family were as receptive to my cooking. They KNOW when I cook it's going to be healthy and they always make horrible faces lol!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2004, 04:55 PM   #3
(female)

Idigit HB User

I admit my old motto was "the more processed, the better".. but now I think that's yuck. Fresh foods are so much more healthy and flavorful and filling! Even small changes in your diet can make a big difference.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:02 PM   #4
(female)

Lysander HB User

I totally identify! I'm hooked on water. I can't believe I never liked the "taste" of it before. It's been about 2 months since I've had anything else. I tried a sip of soda a while ago and it was just nasty--thick and slimy and not refreshing. My sister said that if that's what happen when you quit soda, she would never stop drinking it.

I also quit the processed food, and same story. I used to live on packaged food, never really enjoying eating beyond a quick sugar rush. Fresh, healthy food that I used to think was bland has now made me really look forward to eating. "Cheap" foods sit in my mouth now and taste just that...cheap.

Old 05-04-2004, 08:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Crossbow HB User

Soda also leeches the calcium form your bones. Very bad.

Old 05-04-2004, 09:53 PM   #6
(female)

Idigit HB User

Yes... I've read about the calcium. Big shock. I do NOT want soda stunting MY growth, thankyouverymuch. It's just all-around better to eat fresh foods, as Lysander says. I think I will still enjoy the occasional soda, with certain foods, but it's just not sensible to ruin a beautiful, fresh, healthy dinner with something that's sweet and just not good. I've done that too many times, and now it's water all the way with good food.. the purpose is to TASTE the food, anyways.

Old 05-05-2004, 07:09 AM   #7
(female)

karen430 HB User

I just had to say something here....I love water too!! Back in October I decided to make a concerted effort to drink more water and I developed a natural thirst for it. I drink it all the time now because I absolutely love it. It's hard for me to eat healthy while attending college, but I try hard, and I notice that drinking water is so refreshing at meals. I never really drank any soda except diet coke before, and now that tastes like eating a bag of sugar to me. I can't stand it anything but my water now!

Closed Thread