It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2004, 11:05 PM   #1

suzi47cmt HB User
Unhappy nutritional help for cystitis, interstitial

Here I am again.
I am looking for help mainly for my niece, who is only five years old. I have interstitial cystitis, but so does my little niece. I have learned to live with it and take medications, and have to keep changing my diet. I am still learning however, AND it is still painful and discouraging.

ANYHOO...I am mainly here for her. You see, most of the medications for adults just are NOT appropriate or suitable for children. Also, NEITHER are the diet restrictions. I am DESPERATELY trying to find some natural or dietary ways to help her out. She is ALSO diabetic. We are going to be seeing a dietician soon, but not for another six weeks, and so far this poor child is suffering. It is just SO frustrating!!

ANY help anyone can offer us would be MUCH appreciated.

God bless and THANK YOU!!!

Suzi

The following user gives a hug of support to suzi47cmt:
AnnieMaine (09-01-2011)
Old 05-19-2004, 06:43 AM   #2
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User
Re: nutritional help for cystitis, interstitial

Suzi-
Did a search and found the following dietary recommendations at a interstitial cystitis site:
Quote:
The idea behind managing your diet is to avoid foods and beverages that may irritate your bladder and result in a flare up of interstitial cystitis. Here is a list of some of the suggested items to restrict, followed by foods and beverages that a number of IC patients have noted do not cause them problems.
Milk/Dairy Products

AVOID: aged cheeses, sour cream, yogurt and chocolate

OK TO TRY: white chocolate, non-aged cheeses such as cottage or American, frozen yogurt and milk

Vegetables

AVOID: fava beans, lima beans, onions, tofu, soy beans and tomatoes

OK TO TRY: other vegetables and home grown tomatoes (which may be less acidic)

Fruits

AVOID: apples, apricots, avocados, bananas, cantaloupes, citrus fruits, cranberries, grapes, nectarines, peaches, pineapples, plums, pomegranates, rhubarb, strawberries and juices made from these fruits

OK TO TRY: melons (other than cantaloupes) blueberries and pears

Carbohydrates and Grains

AVOID: rye and sourdough bread

OK TO TRY: other breads, pasta, potatoes and rice

Meats and Fish

AVOID: aged, canned, cured, processed or smoked meats and fish, anchovies, caviar, chicken livers, corned beef, and meats which contain nitrates or nitrites

OK TO TRY: other poultry, fish and meat

Nuts

AVOID: most nuts

OK TO TRY: almonds, cashews and pine nuts

Beverages

AVOID: alcoholic beverages (including beer and wine), carbonated drinks such as sodas, coffee or tea, and fruit juices, especially citrus or cranberry juice.

OK TO TRY: non-carbonated bottled water, decaffeinated, acid-free coffee and tea, and some herbal teas. Call 1-800-TEALEAF for information on coffees and teas.

Seasonings

AVOID: mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, salsa, spicy foods (especially such ethnic foods as Chinese, Indian, Mexican and Thai), soy sauce, miso, salad dressing and vinegar, including balsamic and flavored vinegars

OK TO TRY: garlic and other seasonings

Preservatives and Additives

AVOID: benzol alcohol, citric acid, monosodium glutamate (MSG), artificial sweeteners such as aspartame (Nutrasweet®) and saccharine, foods containing preservatives and artificial ingredients and colors

Miscellaneous

AVOID: tobacco, caffeine, diet pills, junk foods, recreational drugs, cold and allergy medications containing ephedrine or pseudoephedrine, and certain vitamins

Although the list of foods to avoid may initially appear daunting, remember that there are still many foods you can enjoy. Some IC patients report that they have the least trouble with rice, potatoes, pasta, vegetables, meat, and chicken. With these foods as a base for your diet, you can create nutritious and flavorful meals. You can still cook for family and friends and share meals with them because the foods you can eat are the basic elements of a healthful, balanced diet. However, you may need to make some minor adjustments, such as setting your serving aside before adding seasonings. You may also want to consider adding a source of fiber to your diet to promote regular bowel movements.
Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2004, 08:21 PM   #3

kind heart HB User
Re: nutritional help for cystitis, interstitial

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzi47cmt
Here I am again.
I am looking for help mainly for my niece, who is only five years old. I have interstitial cystitis, but so does my little niece. I have learned to live with it and take medications, and have to keep changing my diet. I am still learning however, AND it is still painful and discouraging.

ANYHOO...I am mainly here for her. You see, most of the medications for adults just are NOT appropriate or suitable for children. Also, NEITHER are the diet restrictions. I am DESPERATELY trying to find some natural or dietary ways to help her out. She is ALSO diabetic. We are going to be seeing a dietician soon, but not for another six weeks, and so far this poor child is suffering. It is just SO frustrating!!

ANY help anyone can offer us would be MUCH appreciated.

God bless and THANK YOU!!!

Suzi

TRY PRELIEF - iT'S A DIETARY SUPPLIMENT FOR PATIENTS WITH IC. ALSO GO ON THE ica.org I THINK IT IS. IT'S A SUPPORT GROUP FOR THOSE WITH IC....

Closed Thread