It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2004, 08:23 PM   #1
Inactive

moz HB User
Question Does sucralose cause diarrhea?

Hello.

Can sucralose cause diarrhea in people with IBS or sensetive digestive systems. I'm taking a fruit punch protein drink with sucralose in it after I work out. Just curious.

Regards,

Moz

Old 06-03-2004, 09:59 PM   #2

Neko608 HB User
Re: Does sucralose cause diarrhea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz
Hello.

Can sucralose cause diarrhea in people with IBS or sensetive digestive systems. I'm taking a fruit punch protein drink with sucralose in it after I work out. Just curious.

Regards,

Moz
Typically no, but sucralose is often used with sugar alcohols (Maltitol) which if you have too much of can give you a pretty nasty case of gas and the runs. A protein drink should be A-OK, but don't make the mistake I made of purchasing sugar-free gummy worms and inhaling the whole package in one sitting. I paid dearly that night.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2004, 10:10 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Absolutely! Sucrolose is chlorinated sucrose - and many people are sensative to its chlorine components. Also, only about 30% of sucrolose is metabolized after consumed, the rest is excreted in your bowels. This is why the most common symptoms of sucrolose sensativity are nausea and diarreah. I would say if you have IBS you should avoid it. The same is true for sugar alchohols and fermentable carbs - the "mystery" ingredients that convert traditional junk food into "low net-carb" food. All of these are chemically modified components that the human body has great difficulty digesting. They are known to contribute greatly to gastrointestinal illness.

On the other hand, if you have been consuming sucralose or other chemically modified sugar/carb substitutes and not experienced any side effects or ill health, you may just be a person who can tolerate these substances and it probably won't hurt you in the short term.

Last edited by modert; 06-04-2004 at 03:47 AM. Reason: typos!

Old 06-04-2004, 09:41 AM   #4
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Nope, not a chance that it's the sucralose....

Maybe the "fruit punch protein" drink is the culprit. Large amounts of fruit can cause diarrhea. Sucralose is not metabolized by the body or by the flora in the intestines.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:44 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Sucralose, sugar alchohols, and fermentable carbs are not "digested" in the traditional sense, meaning they are not absorbed into your bloodstream and converted into glucose (some of these substances are, but at a lesser rate than natural counterparts). If you are consuming these substances your body needs to excrete them. The path they follow is your intestinal track. All of these substances are chemically modified. If you have any sensitivities to these substances or their chemical components, you will experience diarreah and/or other gastrointestinal problems. This does not happen to everyone, but if you already have IBS, you really should avoid these ingredients.

Some people will not experience any problems at all and these substances help them achieve a dietary objective - they certainly have carved their place in the market. But there is much controversy about these artifical sweeteners and carb substitutes. Its worth it to read up on them and learn as much as you can. The most interesting thing is that the FDA has not yet regulated the labeling of "net carbs" and it may take them another year or two of research before they do.

Old 06-04-2004, 01:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Zip, Initially I assumed the same thing as you, then later found out that there are studies that show not only partial absorption of this molecule but can result in HbA1c elevation. Apprarently, it can result in diarrahea in some people. Certainly I was disappointed and it's too bad, because I was a big user of Splenda until I read about a little more on some of the possible effects. I have gone back to a tsp or two of brown sugar in place of what I once used Splenda on.

Old 06-05-2004, 12:32 PM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

ubie,

I've done YEARS (decades really) of experimenting on myself with cyclamates, saccharine (poison...eccccch!), aspartame (Nutrasweet) and recently sucralose (Splenda)....even mixed in bizarre combinations.

I have a sensitive lower colon ( and some recent posts have twinged it ...I'm sure you know which)

But really these non-food sweetners have no effect at all ( I've even glucosed myself afterwords)

Do any of them cause you gastric distress?

Last edited by zip2play; 06-05-2004 at 12:35 PM.

Old 06-05-2004, 03:06 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Well you didn't ask me but I will answer anyway.

Sucralose/Splenda does make me sick. I get bloating and constipation combined with diarreah, and feelings of exhaustion (no energy) and its lasts for exactly 2 1/2 days after I consume it. I can easily connect these symptoms directly to the sucralose as I document everything I consume daily, including times. It also causes me to gain 1-2 lbs overnight, I am guessing because of the bloating and constipation, and those lbs are lost again as soon as the symptoms subside.

Aspartame/Nutrisweet causes a VERY strange symptom for me, this symptom I have never experienced with anything else in past. About 3 hours after I consume it I get a POUNDING throbbing heartbeat in my head and my ears. Its not really painful like a headache, but its uncomfortable and very overwhelming. Sometimes it feels and sounds like my head is being held under water. It prevents me from being able to think or sleep. Typically this symptoms lasts about 2-3 hours. Also, I can directly connect it to the Aspartame.

I do not typically have digestive problems, although I do tend to be highly allergic and sensitive to many substances.

Old 06-06-2004, 06:07 AM   #9
Inactive

zip2play HB User

For people who are sensitive to aspartame, sucralose and yeccchy saccharine, I recommend the very cheap cyclamates (sodium or calcium) which is available in most of the civilized world. Those in the U.S.A. have to order it from Canada (and bite the lower lip over shipping charges).
It's about the same price as saccharine and cheaper than sucralose (Splenda).

I've been ordering that way for years and it's really my favorite diet sweetner. It also comes as a liquid (thus no gluucose carrier) and is convenient to count drops into my coffee.
I wish I could buy it in my soft drinks but alas the cost of importing soda would be WHAMMO...so it's aspartame there!

Last edited by zip2play; 06-06-2004 at 06:08 AM.

Old 06-06-2004, 07:31 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
ubie,

Do any of them cause you gastric distress?
Zip,

None of them did, not Splenda, not aspartame, etc. That doesn't apply to a fair amount of the sugar alcohols though, the distress that I get there is the same you experience, equal to a laxative.

I was more concerned about some of the recent studies pointing to Splenda not being as benign as I thought.

Last edited by ubernier; 06-06-2004 at 07:32 AM.

Old 06-06-2004, 10:10 AM   #11
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

I'm a fan of stevia-plus myself. It's not a sugar alcohol or chloronated molecule. It's made from the stevia plant and as far as I know (about..oh..that far ----------------------------------------------->) it's the only sweetener out there that does NOT result in an insulin release.
It's usually shelved with the supplements instead of with sweeteners 'cause the FDA says that's what it is. Sheesh, I wish those guys would get a clue.

Last edited by csoar2004; 06-06-2004 at 10:11 AM.

Old 06-06-2004, 10:56 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

I have read that too - that stevia is the only sweetener that does not trigger any insulin and also that it is naturally sweet and does not need chemical modification. But I thought stevia could not be purchased in the US - perhaps that has changed. I thought I read that the FDA had deemed it not suitable for consumption, but that they do allow it to be sold as a supplement. Do you have more info on that?

Old 06-06-2004, 06:50 PM   #13
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdimassimo
I have read that too - that stevia is the only sweetener that does not trigger any insulin and also that it is naturally sweet and does not need chemical modification. But I thought stevia could not be purchased in the US - perhaps that has changed. I thought I read that the FDA had deemed it not suitable for consumption, but that they do allow it to be sold as a supplement. Do you have more info on that?
Stevia cannot be sold as a sweetener in the US because a) the FDA is in bed with the sugar/sugar substitute industry or b) the FDA simply has its collective head up its collective a**
Do a google search and you'll find lots of info, including the fact that the FDA ordered a book burning (stevia cookbook, if you can believe that!) in Texas. They have NO studies supporting their view that stevia may be unsafe as a sweetener while there are dozens of studies (done in Brazil, Japan, etc.) that show it to be safe. Not only that, they aren't interested in DOING any such studies (gee, I wonder why?? $$$$$$$$$$)
Stevia CAN be and IS sold as a dietary supplement in the US.

Frankly, I think aspartame is much more unhealthy. But then...there's big bucks in aspartame, splenda and such...

Last edited by csoar2004; 06-08-2004 at 07:42 AM.

Old 06-07-2004, 10:45 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User

Splenda gives me headaches and Maltitol gives me cramps so they can't be good for you. Hello

Last edited by Abbey32; 06-07-2004 at 10:46 PM.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:45 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Its amazing how your sensitivity to sweetness will change after you stop sweetening things, whether it be with sugar or substitute sweeteners.

I have become accustomed to not using any sweeteners and all of my food now tastes much sweeter naturally. It won't be immediate, but over time, say 3-4 weeks, you will really notice a difference. And its soooo much healthier!

Vegetables taste sweeter, fruit tastes like candy, etc...

Closed Thread