It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2004, 08:59 PM   #1

theraveneffect HB User
does anyone knows how many grams of protein should an average person eat a day?

topic^^^- also is it a bad thing to take more protein than expected?

Old 06-06-2004, 07:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

girlygirl11 HB User
Re: does anyone knows how many grams of protein should an average person eat a day?

Many reliable sources I've checked have said basically the same thing- a normal helathy person (not a bodybuilder or anything) needs anywhere from 0.36-0.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. (ie- if you was 120 lbs, you would need probably 60 or so grams of protein per day (2 oz.). Yeah I know that seems like a little- I had the same reaction! The reality is, we probably get more than our recommended intake naturally everyday!
There is a danger that comes with having too much protein. This causes your liver and kidneys to work harder, which eventually could cause problems with those organs. (But I don't think they mean "too much" is 3 oz. vs 2 oz...I think its more like if 80% of your diet is protein). Also, having too much can cause excretion of minerals such as calcium and other amino acids (which are best IN your body, not out!).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2004, 10:47 PM   #3
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: does anyone knows how many grams of protein should an average person eat a day?

It's about one gram per pound of lean body mass. I weigh 175, 5'6"/largeboned and lift for strength....I should eat about 130 grams a day whenever possible to help build muscle mass during exercise. No, I am not a bodybuilder...just someone that found an exercise I liked to combine with a good nutritious diet.

Drink plenty of water to help flush your system, eat other nutritious foods as well. The body needs the extra protein with building muscle and it does improve your immune system. The extra protein is needed to help keep your metabolism up while eating 5-6 smaller meals a day and to help your body when doing any exercise.

Old 06-07-2004, 04:12 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Another easy formula is to simply consume about 25-30% of your daily calories as protein. This typically works out to about 1 gram of protein per pound.

The RDA for protein is only .8 grams per kilogram of body weight (which is 2.2 lbs), and the Kidney foundation recommends 1 to 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. The problem with these formulas is that if you consume too little protein, then you are probably overeating carbs and fat. I have had this debate with my nephrologist, and he agrees with me - you need to keep it in perspective of your total caloric intake and 25-30% is just fine.

Another thing to consider is that the body won't absorb more than 25 grams of protein in one sitting. So you are better off eating smaller portions more often - you will not maximize the full benefit of the protein if you eat 50 grams of protein in a single meal (example: a huge steak).

Last edited by modert; 06-07-2004 at 04:13 PM.

Old 06-13-2004, 03:05 AM   #5

Angel a falling HB User
Question Re: does anyone knows how many grams of protein should an average person eat a day?

If your body won't absorb more than 25 grams at a time then does it get eliminated from the body or stored as fat?

Regards,

Last edited by Angel a falling; 06-13-2004 at 03:08 AM.

Old 06-13-2004, 06:22 AM   #6
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Angel,
It most DEFINITELY gets burned as fuel if calories are needed or stored as fat if in excess of immediate caloric needs, after the nitrogen components are stripped off and excreted by the kidneys as ammonia-like products. It's a lose-lose proposition to eat much more than you need! The body has no capacity to store protein for future use. (Well one exotic one is postulated: it involves making extra gut lining that can be broken down later and reused, but this is theoretical.)

The body's need are pretty small except during growth (natural or body-building anabolism), pregnancy, and lactation, and to a lesser extent menstruation. The main reason is that the body is EXPERT at taking broken down lean mass and saving virtually ALL the component amino acids and restructuring them to form the next needed protein. VERY little is wasted.

I've seen numbers as low as 40 grams per day as a comfortable margin from some knowledgeable people applied to people in "steady-state!" (that is, not in the aforementioned higher-need groups!)

Personally, I usually find myself around 100 grams a day (older "bodybuilder" with DREAMS of new muscle formation...like 2 ounces a MONTH!)

Old 06-13-2004, 07:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

arkie6 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdimassimo
...Another thing to consider is that the body won't absorb more than 25 grams of protein in one sitting...
What is your basis for stating this? If it doesn't absorb it, then what does it do with it? Does it just pass through your digestive system? Meat generally contains about 7 grams of protein per ounce. So you are saying that your body can only absorb the protein in 3.5 ounces of meat? When I eat a 12 ounce sirloin, what happens to the other 8.5 ounces?

Old 06-13-2004, 08:21 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

"Absorb" probably was not the best choice of words... process would have been better. You absorb all the protein you eat - what happens to it after digestion is a different story.

Protein is converted into amino acids which are used primarily to build and repair body tissue. Excess amino acids can go in a lot of different directions, depending on other factors in the body, the specific amino acid, and the type/quality of the protein consumed. Excess amino acids can be converted either into glucose, glycogen, or body fat.

The bigger problem is that a toxic ammonia is produced as a result of the processing of amino acids. This waste is converted to urea by the liver and then channeled to the kidneys and filtered out of the body in the urine. Urea requires more water to be filtered out than other subtsances. When too much protein is consumed, this puts a tremendous strain on kidney function and can cause dehydration.

The premise of a low-carb/high protein diet is that it doesn't matter if the excess amino acids are converted into fat because the body is in a state in which it is burning fat for fuel.

Keep in mind, this is a rather simplistic explanation of what is really going on inside the body - there are other critical considerations, such as the quality of protein consumed (are all essential amino acids present?) and the body's general state of health.

Last edited by modert; 06-13-2004 at 08:23 AM.

Old 06-13-2004, 08:42 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
I've seen numbers as low as 40 grams per day as a comfortable margin from some knowledgeable people applied to people in "steady-state!" (that is, not in the aforementioned higher-need groups)
I have seen these low numbers too. I am always amazed at these recommendations and their failure to consider the total calorie consumption of the individual. You have to remember that what is not eaten as protein, is eaten as carbs and fat. I believe a better approach is to start off with your total daily calorie consumption and work backwards to calulate the ratio of the protein, carbs, and fat.

For example, if a person is consuming 3000 calories per day, and only eats 40 grams of protein (160 calories), that means that means that over 2800 calories are being consumed as carbs and fat! That would possibly be 85% of calories consumed as carbs! That doesn't make any sense, nor is it healthy.

Its better to look at the big picture, and strike a balance across all calorie types. I usually recommend 50% carbs, 25% protein, 25% fat. Some people do better with different ratios, depending on lifestyle and dietary goals. But always starting with total calories, you can easily determine how many grams of protein, carbs, and fat make sense for you.

Old 06-13-2004, 02:06 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

I was just wondering... How much protein is too much? I mean if 50 grams is recommended for my weight (around 120 lbs), and I take in about 100 grams of protein a day. If I do this every single day for the rest of my entire life will this cause any damage to my kidney or liver? I take in around 1500 calories a day, so 100 grams would be around 25% from my calories... If I took in as much as the recommended amount it would be like 5% or 10% and I have no idea.

Old 06-13-2004, 04:18 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_
I was just wondering... How much protein is too much? I mean if 50 grams is recommended for my weight (around 120 lbs), and I take in about 100 grams of protein a day. If I do this every single day for the rest of my entire life will this cause any damage to my kidney or liver? I take in around 1500 calories a day, so 100 grams would be around 25% from my calories... If I took in as much as the recommended amount it would be like 5% or 10% and I have no idea.
This is EXACTLY the problem. If you eat 95-110 grams of protein daily, you should be just fine - that is in the range of 25-30% of your daily calories as protein. Any less than that would require that you eat WAY too many carbohydrates.

Of course you will also benefit greatly by eating smaller meals with equal amounts of protein spread out over the course of the day - the body has a better chance of using the protein efficently (5 meals with 22 protein grams each). What many people do is they eat very little protein at breakfast and lunch (10 protein grams at bf and at lunch) and then load up on protein at dinner (for example 80+ protein grams).

Also, be sure to drink LOTS of water and eat high quality proteins that are digested more efficiently. And of course, the more active you are, the more excess protein that you consume will be used as fuel.

Real problems arise when a person consumes a much higher percentage of their calories as protein. This is where such an excessive amount of urea is being processed by the kidneys - it without doubt causes dehydration and can lead to serious kidney disorders down the road. There are also other health risks associated with excessive consumption of protein.

As a short-term weight loss plan there perhaps is no real damage done with an excessively high protein diet, especially for an otherwise healthy individual who keeps themselves well hydrated (with water, not diet sodapop!) However for a person who is 40+ or who has existing health conditions (diabetes, heart disease, liver disease, etc) this could lead to serious illness that may not be reversable.

Old 06-29-2004, 04:41 PM   #12
Inactive

edwardthefirst HB User

A little off here -but im protein deficient and having TE (hair loss ! ) due to it - and trying to lose some weight but add more protein - any suggestions on least fattening ways to get more protein and how much per day I shoudl be getting? tHANKS guys ! BTW im 26F, 5'3 and 155 / goal is 125

Old 06-29-2004, 05:48 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdiva26
A little off here -but im protein deficient and having TE (hair loss ! ) due to it - and trying to lose some weight but add more protein - any suggestions on least fattening ways to get more protein and how much per day I shoudl be getting? tHANKS guys ! BTW im 26F, 5'3 and 155 / goal is 125
Hi MissDiva, You didn't mention your activity level, but I will give it a shot here. You currently need about 1500 calories per day to maintain your weight with NO activity... Add about 30 minutes of light activity (modest walking for example) and your caloric need increases to about 1600 calories. However, to lose weight you need to decrease those numbers a bit - My recommendation is to make sure you have 30 minutes of activity per day and eat about 1400 calories per day. Yo will lose weight at a rate of about 1.5 - 2 pounds per week, the healthiest way to do it.

Regarding the protein - you probably want to be sure to have 25-30% of your calories as protein, so based on 1400 calories, that is about 88-105 grams of protein per day. Its best to divide that up evenly across all your meals.

Some great sources of protein include:
Low-fat cottage cheese
Plain yogurt
Soy (many types of soy Roasted Soy Nuts, Soy chips, Tofu, Organic Veggie Burgers, etc)
Lean meat (beef, white meat pork, skinless poultry)
Fish
Eggs
Almonds and walnuts in moderation (I recommend avoiding peanuts and peanut butter for weight loss!)

Old 06-30-2004, 12:36 AM   #14
Inactive

edwardthefirst HB User

Wow thanks for the quick answers guys

I work a lot on the computer and at a desk and was very inactive for a while but within the past month after the hair drama , started walking for an hour a day on the beach - so hopefully that will have a good impact all around.

1400 seems about right - its difficult b/c I need to eat high protein things for the hair, but a lot of those things have a lot of calories. I've started drinking a little soy milk / eating soybeans daily, having yogurt w/ wheat germ, lean meat 1x a week, fish 1x a week, and of course the calcium and vitamin C drill

I lost 40 lbs in 2002 from walking every day and cutting carbs, but It didnt last. Lets hope this time is the final one!

I appreciate the help!!

Old 06-30-2004, 05:15 AM   #15
(female)

HondaDoll HB User

MissDiva26,

Another thing that could be missing out of your diet is iron. The same thing happened to me with hair loss. Its not really noticeable but I would notice that I was losing alot of hair off my head in the shower. So I went to the doctors and got some blood work done and it showed up I have iron deficiancy anemia. So my Dr. ordered me to start taking iron supplements and since taking them I've noticed a difference for the better.

Thats so awesome that you can walk by the beach!! You are so lucky! I live about 3-4 hours away from a beach

Closed Thread