It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2004, 10:00 PM   #1

Nikos HB User
How bad is Soda when trying to lose weight?

Why would soda be so bad? From a weight/fat loss standpoint, whatís the difference between drinking a COKE or a Glass of Orange Juice? I know Juice gives more nutrients and helps the heart, but is it any different than soda in terms of sugar, carbs, and calories. Isnít that a factor in terms of fat and gaining weight?

Bottom line if I want to lose weight and fat and Im not concerned with the health benefits of OJ over Soda -- then is Soda really that bad to have once or twice a day?

Thanks

Old 06-06-2004, 10:38 PM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: How bad is Soda when trying to lose weight?

Look at the serving size. A regular serving size of juice is an 8 ounce glass. A can of Coke is 12oz and both give you the same amount of empty sugar calories. You will get caffine from the cola drinks but you can get the same from tea or coffee without the attendent sugar....unless you add it.

From a weightloss standpoint...neither is good for you in this case if you want to cut the sugar from your diet as much as possible. Better to eat an orange for the fiber content as well as juice than just the latter alone. All that sugar gives you an energy spike/boost for about 30 minutes but then you get the sugar lows. Besides, like said, you dont need the "empty calories". Nor the added calories to your diet (Coke has about 160 calories per can)

If you are on a low carb diet.....a can has 44grams (from the sugar) Is it really worth it?

As for Coke. I soon learned to live without all that sugar and switched to diet instead. Most of the time, would just add some diet soda to my water for a "taste" rather than drink it outright.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2004, 10:55 PM   #3

Nikos HB User

Being in college I eat very unhealthy.

I dont have time to cook too much, and Im a picky eater.

I have a fast metabolism, and I gained a slight gut that I really want gone by July.

Im starting to exercise more (I hadent been exercising for a while).

I basically want to cut the soda, fries, and extra food for now in hopes of losing fat. Before I would eat tons of fries, have a lot of soda and greasy foods.

Im trying to eat a little more healthy -- but my main concern is to LOSE FAT first and slowly adopt healthier eating habits.

For now I just want to eliminate soda for a while and fries. Maybe Ill have them once in a while, but not everyday like I used to.

What else do you reccomend for someone at school, who can't cook much?

Can I lose the gut by doing exercises on the stomach, running, playing basketball, and cutting down the calories, sugar, and fries?

Thanks

Old 06-07-2004, 02:32 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Laurie is right on - you are best avoiding sodapop AND orange juice (and other high calorie drinks). Both will have you consuming too much sugar and too many calories without nutritional benefit. Another thing that will help you immensely is to drink water - TONS OF IT!!! A good formula to use 1/2 your body weight in ounces... for example is if you weigh 150, drink 75 ounces of water daily. If you weigh 200, drink 100 ounces of water daily. It seems like a lot, but it works, really. Another formula that works is 64 oz daily for a normal weight body - add 8-12 oz for every 25 lbs overweight.

Here is why... your liver's job is to metabolize fat. But when you don't consume enough fluids, your kidneys are working at maximum capacity and rely on the liver to help them do their job. When the liver is doing the kidney's job, it cannot efficiently metabolize fat. So if you drink lots of water, your kidneys and liver will be able to function at maximum efficiency which will help you metabloze fat and lose weight. And it really does need to be water to get the full benefit.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:25 AM   #5
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

"Can I lose the gut by doing execises on the stomach, running, playing basketball, and cutting down on calories, sugar and fries"

Any kind of intense/hard exercise that will burn calories better will help "cut the gut". Ab exercises will strengthen the stomach there but the body takes fat from all over to burn for energy. Not just one place.

Cutting polyunsaturated fats, "empty" calories and starchy carbs, like fries, will certainly help too. But "want losing fat first" and then trying to eat a healthier diet....does not quite work that way. You will lose fat by eating a healthier diet...period.

Calories are abit different. You do not want to cut down too far or else, your body's metabolism will slow down to go into "starvation mode". For myself, if I go below 1500....that's too low for me. 1800 is far better. This is something you will have to workout yourself to find a proper balance.

When you do start eating healthier, do not go by your scales (if you have any)...better to go by how your clothes feel for any body changes. Keep a journal of what you have been eating, protien/carbs/fats/calories. A good idea to include what exercise and how long. Go for 5-6 smaller meals stretched out about every three hours. This way you are not bunching up all your calories and keep your metabolism up longer. Rather like keeping a small fire hot with coals with woodchips at regular intervels rather starting a huge one, letting it go down and having to stoke it back up again after cooling.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:38 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2
Rather like keeping a small fire hot with coals with woodchips at regular intervels rather starting a huge one, letting it go down and having to stoke it back up again after cooling.
What a great analogy!

Old 06-08-2004, 11:14 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Yes great, but I don't understand. Explain.

Old 06-08-2004, 11:55 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme_
Yes great, but I don't understand. Explain.
The burning fire analogy illustrates the concept that if you eat smaller portions more often throughout the day, your own fire (your metabolism) will continue to burn at a steady, even pace.

On the other hand, if you eat 3 larger meals, with long gaps in between, its more similar to lighting a large fire that sizzles out after a few hours, then you add more wood to make the flame burn bright again, then it fizzles out, then you add more wood... In summary, eating like this causes highs and lows throughout the day in direct response to your meals. This results in energy loss, dramatic shifts in blood glucose levels, feelings of hunger, etc... in between meals. In many cases it also causes inefficient use of the food and nutrients you consume.

You will feel better, have less hunger, and have more energy if your metabolism is level and steady throughout the day. This is accomplished by providing smaller amounts of calories, protein, carbs, and fat more often throughout the day.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:28 PM   #9

lady_grey HB User

How much beer are your drinking? A lot of people that I know who complained of a slight belly found that after college and their drinking slowed down, they lost it. I also think it might be a result of your body changing. With that said, I think that it is wonderful that you are trying to get healthy. While water is always best to drink, drinking a coke or diet coke a day is not going to make you obese. It is the combination of that with fries and pizza, etc that will put on the pounds. I would try and think about what foods are most important to you and make some decisions around them where you eat healthy most of the time and allow yourself small amounts of the other food. That way, you are changing to have a healthier lifestyle.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

Wow..... that's a nice approach to it.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:08 AM   #11

lizard11 HB User

I have also heard that drinking enough water through-out the day can help. I just have a hard time remembering to drink my 8 servings. . . any suggestions or tips that have worked for any of you to increase water consumption?

Old 06-09-2004, 09:43 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard11
I have also heard that drinking enough water through-out the day can help. I just have a hard time remembering to drink my 8 servings. . . any suggestions or tips that have worked for any of you to increase water consumption?

Yes! Measure it all out at the beginning of the day so that you can see how much you have to left to get through. Also, keep a small water bottle with you at all times (at your desk, next to your bed, in your car, etc) so that you can continue to sip away at it all day. Drinking water at room temp is much easier than cold.

Old 06-09-2004, 10:42 PM   #13

Nikos HB User

Actually I have been eating less in a way.

I still eat basically the same things, except I don't eat fries or have any soda.

Before I use to drink 3-4 sodas a day and ALWAYS have fries with some pizza, harmburgers, steak and cheesees etc.... I would have fries at least once a day at certain periods of the year.

I dont really drink beer anymore, only once in a while -- certainly not consistently enough for that to make a difference.

Basically I am just cutting down on the soda and fries and the extra saturated fat. I still eat Steak and Cheese with Onions, but no fries or coke, and no slice of pizza with it. And if I eat Pizza i will eat two large slices and thats it, or just eat a small onion and pepper pizza with light cheese. I been eating like this for about 10 days now, and with no soda and no sweets except for half cholcate chip muffin for breakfest (which I know isnt too good). I feel a little slimmer.

Problem is I have a very fast metabolism but I havent been exercising this year due to creeky knees and a ankle injury, and just not enough time.

In a month when Im done with school I will start exercising again, and I think my gut will slowly go away. I also will start lifting weights and doing some cardio.

Thing is it seems that I can eat WHATEVER I want it still only have a slight/noticable (not a big deal gut) to show for it. The rest of my body actually stays normal and almost muscular looking relative to my stomach.

I have always been a relatively thin person most of my life. However in college I did gain weight but not a lot. I am a little under 6'1" and about 190-195 pounds. Most of my body fat again is my stomach area.

I know I am not a healthy person right now, but in college I just don't have time, patience, or resources to eat healthy all the time. But starting this summer I want to change my eating habits slowly, still eat mostly what I like, but mix it up a bit with some more healthy foods and less filled with saturated fats etc.....

Although I dont feel starved since exempting the fries/soda -- I do get the urge to get Wendys at times and go all out. But I think its slight withdrawal since I ate that stuff everyday for the past few years.

Bottom line, I just want to eat less fatty foods, get in shape, lose the gut. For a few more weeks of school/work I want to just cut down on the fats, and hope the stomach gets a bit smaller. Can it get smaller just by me eating a little less, and eating less fatty foods (cutting down on fries which I ate twice a day at times before, and soda)?

And also I have been drinking A LOT of water lately through out the day. Something I didnt do consistently before, I never really liked water, but now I drink it all the time. I also been eating more pasta lately when I get the chance and more ham and roast beef type of sandwhiches (light mayo or no mayo) and Baked Lays Chips.

Any help on this would be great. Is it possible that by me eating less now I am not losing the stomach size at all? In fact making it larger?

Last edited by Nikos; 06-09-2004 at 10:46 PM.

Old 06-10-2004, 06:17 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

modert HB User

Nikos, As a rule, men have a tendency to store fat around the middle, but genes also play a role in this. How do other adult males in your family carry their weight?

Lots of people think that a calorie is a calorie and it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you burn the calories you eat... but this is simply NOT TRUE!!! Its been proven that diets high in carbohydrates will cause a person to accumulate fat around the middle. For you, the soda and fries may have contributed greatly to this because not only are they VERY high in carbs, but they are the worst kind of carbs. Cutting these foods out of your diet is a smart move. You may also benefit by shifting your diet to include healthier complex carbs, and omitting or reducing the unhealthy carbs you may be eating, such as large amounts of white bread, sugar, cakes, cookies, donuts, or sugary beverages, and junk food snacks.

It is also important to be sure that you are eating a balanced ratio of protein, carbs, and fat. That does not mean even amounts of each - it is closer to 50% carbs, 25% protein, and 25% fat. Some people do better with 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. See if you can figure out what your ratios have been - you'll need to estimate some of what you have been eating and do some math... (I can help you figure this out if you want). You might be suprised to find that you have possibly been eating 65-75% of your calories as carbs, or even more!

Because you are slim, you really do not need to go on a diet to lose weight, but rather shift these ratios and see if it makes a difference for you. Of course there won't be any dramatic changes overnight, but over time you will notice that feel better and carry your weight better. Excercise is the best way to lose the fat you have already accumulated around your middle.

There is evidence that men who are slim, but have a belly are at higher risk of developing health problems compared to men who are overweight in general but do not have a belly. The health problems that can occur, typically when you reach middle age (40-50), include diabetes and heart disease.

Old 06-11-2004, 12:55 PM   #15

Nikos HB User

The thing is I dont know if I have patience and resources to try and eat according to these ratios until I finish school. I can't really exercise and eat right on a daily basis cause I dont have time to make my own meals etc...

Basically I do eat a lot of carbs (Pizza--light cheese, steak and cheese sandwhiches, chicken terrayaki Sandwhiches etc...)

I can't just eat salad and a piece of chicken, and a bunch of small meals in the day, I just don't go grocery shopping in school and its to much of an inconvenience. Therefore I do eat 3 meals a day (with no snacks), and I do eat lot of carbs (breads, steak and cheese, pizza, chicken sandwhiches (no mayo or cheese). I can't help it, I need breads and meats (without the fries, cheese etc....), and Pizza with some vegetables and light cheese.

I guess thats still a lot of carbs or essentially all I eat. But I have been cutting the fries and soda completely out. I think I do 'feel' a little slimmer, although Im not sure I can see a noticable difference yet. I know if I exercise I will be OK, but Im just trying to cut down on the extra, fat and sugar until the summer where I have time and means to get groceries and exercise on a daily basis.

Any ideas on types of food I should get at local eateries or pizza places? Whats the best stuff I can eat, even though I know those arent the best sources of food (they are my main sources unfortunely for the next two weeks).

What can I do to minimize my sugar, carbs, and satured fat etc....?

Thanks

Closed Thread