It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2004, 11:51 PM   #1

siren3 HB User
Calcium/safety of milk. Anyone here drink a lot of milk & have good health?

Hello

I really need to get calcium in my diet but don't know how. Supplements seem to upset my stomach (or else I just haven't found the right one), also I've read negative things about the effects of calcium supplements on the body. I would like to start drinking a lot of milk, but I've also read many, MANY negative things about milk, like the hormones in it and the lack of the digestive enzyme required to digest milk properly (due to it being pasteurized). I've also read that it's bad for the skin and sinuses, among other things..... BUT... I really like milk, yet, because of all these negative things I've read, I stopped drinking it a long time ago (except occasionaly in cereal), also it does sometimes hurt my stomach if I have too much. But I would really love to drink it again!... So, I guess I'd like to see if there is anyone out there who has been drinking milk (and lots of it) for a long time who still has great health. Any milk promoters out there who aren't employed by the dairy industry? ... Or perhaps there are some other opinions, what do ya think about all this?

Thanks!

p.s. Was very curious if those lactaid tablets are effective in helping one digest milk better? Thanks a lot.

The following user gives a hug of support to siren3:
finet5466 (10-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 05:15 AM   #2
(male)

zevi8 HB User
Re: Calcium/safety of milk. Anyone here drink a lot of milk & have good health?

There are many non-dairy sources of calcium. Many green vegetables are high in calcium but most of it cannot be used by the body. Kale, however, is high in calcium and is more absorbable than milk. 1 cup of kale has over 200 mg of calcium. Other sources include figs, molasses, pure maple syrup. I hope this helped you.
Zevi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2004, 05:46 PM   #3

indy gal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevi8
There are many non-dairy sources of calcium. Many green vegetables are high in calcium but most of it cannot be used by the body. Kale, however, is high in calcium and is more absorbable than milk. 1 cup of kale has over 200 mg of calcium. Other sources include figs, molasses, pure maple syrup. I hope this helped you.
Zevi
I was going to say the same thing. Broccoli and almonds are good sources of calcium too. You can get the calcium you need without consuming dairy or needing supplements.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:43 PM   #4
(male)

zevi8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy gal
I was going to say the same thing. Broccoli and almonds are good sources of calcium too. You can get the calcium you need without consuming dairy or needing supplements.
Almonds arent good to rely on as a calcium source because for 80mg of calcium thats in a serving of almonds, your body absorbs 9mg. I used to rely on almonds but i read on a medical website the absorption rates of calcium for different foods.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:16 PM   #5
(female)

fawn512 HB User

i drink about 2 glass of milk or more. Is that bad?

Not all calcium are absorbed by my body? What should i eat/drink in order for the calcium to be absorbed?

Old 08-06-2004, 02:30 AM   #6

siren3 HB User

Thanks for the the suggestions about calcium sources, that's very helpful. I plan on reading more about calcium sources... Also, however, I really LIKE milk, especially chocolate milk, so is there anything else people can add about the safety of it? In other words, IS it truly bad for us? And, if so, is it the hormones that cause the problem? I know some say that the protein and fat levels are too high and such, but I am not worried about that whatsoever. Plus, I know there is hormone free milk out there, does anyone use this? Thanks again.

Old 08-06-2004, 05:23 AM   #7
(male)

zevi8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn512

Not all calcium are absorbed by my body? What should i eat/drink in order for the calcium to be absorbed?
Too much milk and other dairy products cause constipation and other problems. Although milk is touted as a great calcium source, this is a falacy. Although it is true that milk has 300mg of calcium per cup, only 96 mg of that is absorbed by the body, which means only 32% of the calcium in the milk is being absorbed. On the other side of the spectrum we have for instance broccoli, at first glance it may seem like it doesnt have too much calcium but for 1 cup it has 178mg and a 53% absorption rate of the calcium, which equals to 94mg. This means that one cup of broccli is equal to 1 cup of milk as far as calcium goes. Of course you need vitamin D to absorb the calcium. Broccoli doesnt have vitamin D and milk does. This is not a problem either. Milk naturally contains vitamin d. When they pastuerize the milk, the vitamin is no longer useable, so they add vitamin D. This makes the milk no different than any other food fortified with vitamin d. To get vitamin d, consume vitamin d fortified foods, or get it from the sun. The sun helps your body produce all the vitamin d it needs. All it takes is 15 minutes, 3 times a week in the sun for your vitamin d needs. I hope this helped you out a little bit. I have a list of the absorption rates of calcium is certain foods if anyone wants it.

Last edited by zevi8; 08-06-2004 at 05:24 AM.

Old 08-06-2004, 05:26 AM   #8
(male)

zevi8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawn512

Too much milk and other dairy products cause constipation and other problems. Although milk is touted as a great calcium source, this is a falacy. Although it is true that milk has 300mg of calcium per cup, only 96 mg of that is absorbed by the body, which means only 32% of the calcium in the milk is being absorbed. On the other side of the spectrum we have for instance broccoli, at first glance it may seem like it doesnt have too much calcium but for 1 cup it has 178mg and a 53% absorption rate of the calcium, which equals to 94mg. This means that one cup of broccli is equal to 1 cup of milk as far as calcium goes. Of course you need vitamin D to absorb the calcium. Broccoli doesnt have vitamin D and milk does. This is not a problem either. Milk naturally contains vitamin d. When they pastuerize the milk, the vitamin is no longer useable, so they add vitamin D. This makes the milk no different than any other food fortified with vitamin d. To get vitamin d, consume vitamin d fortified foods, or get it from the sun. The sun helps your body produce all the vitamin d it needs. All it takes is 15 minutes, 3 times a week in the sun for your vitamin d needs. I hope this helped you out a little bit. I have a list of the absorption rates of calcium is certain foods if anyone wants it.

Old 08-06-2004, 07:53 AM   #9

Veggie_chick HB User

You should maybe try live organic yogurt or cottage cheese instead of milk. Also, try rice or soy milk.

Old 08-06-2004, 08:22 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

I have been drinking milk since I was a kid, and I just recently switched to organic milk about 2 years ago, well not that recently. Also, I'm a very healthy 28 year old woman. You have to have an adequate intake of magnesium in order for the calcium to be properly absorbed. Also, there is nothing wrong with milk, organic that is, as long as you don't drink tons of it. I am very healthy, I workout every day and have organic fat free milk in my cereal, and have one glass a day, which equals to about two servings. And I usually eat one container of yogurt a day. All this bad stuff about milk is mainly directed towards the hormones and antibiotics that are in non organic milk. Some people are allergic to milk, but way more people can tolorate it than not. I think people blew this negative stuff about milk out of proportion. The main problem is not having enough magnesium in the diet to absorb milk. It's better to take a magnesium as a supplement so you can absorb the calcium. Please, type in google "magnesium and calcium absorption" or "magnesium deficiencies" and read about how 90% percent of Americans are deficient of this mineral which can cause many problems. Magnesium supplements should be in EVERYONE's diet cause it's hard to get the RDI, THAT'S why there is such a high number of people with osteoperosis, not cause of the protein content. Organic, low fat milk is fine, there is nothing wrong with it if your not allergic to it, and it's a great source of calcium!

Last edited by Jess75; 08-06-2004 at 08:25 AM.

Old 08-06-2004, 11:13 PM   #11
(female)

fawn512 HB User

zevi8 tnx for that info. Then if my body doesn't absorb all the calcium taken, what will happen to it? It'll go directly to my kidneys?

I don't have time to get under the sun...so i was hoping there are foods which are rich in vitamin D

[ removed ]

jessicca what are organic milk? i drink either a skim milk, which comes from a milk carton and powdered hicalcium milk.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-08-2004 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Use this board anonymously, only - no emails.

Old 08-06-2004, 11:21 PM   #12

pokerplayer HB User

I drink about 4 glasses of milk a day and am very healthy. Don't give up milk if you love it. Don't worry so much about studies because the majority are wrong, misunderstood, or their testing just isn't correct. Look at salt, it's bad for you, wait, now it's good for you. Same with coffee or caffeine for that matter. There are numerous things out there where one doctor will say it's good for you and one will say it's bad for you. Then in 5 years they will both change their mind. Enjoy life and your chocolate milk.

Old 08-07-2004, 08:54 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

[ QUOTE removed ]

There are two major brands of organic milk. One is "Horizon" and the other is "Organic Valley." They sell both of those brands at Giant Eagle, and are probably about $.80 more. Remember, to take a magnesium supplement if you want to absorb most of the calcium. If your deficient of magnesium, your body will generally just absorb about one third of the calcium, or something like that. Milk is not bad for you, except the full fat and non organic.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-08-2004 at 10:08 AM. Reason: report posts that violate the rules, do not quote them.

Old 08-07-2004, 09:58 AM   #14

Shane S HB User

I usually drink 3-4 cups a day of milk. The only people who shouldn't drink it are those who are lactose intolerant. It's a good source of protein, and the proteins in it (whey and casein) are arguably the best ones out there. Its calories are rougly similar to things like soda and juice drinks, but instead of all coming from sugar, it's a balanced calorie source. It's an excellent source of both vitamin D and calcium. It's beneficial to sleep, and since its protein content is mostly casein, it will absorb slowly so your body isn't starving all night long. Any potential negative is easily outweighed by the positives. I wouldn't go overboard on it, but it certainly does not need to be avoided either.

Old 08-08-2004, 09:20 AM   #15

siren3 HB User

Thanks a lot for all the replies, I think you're all really helpful! And thanks for the reassurance from the milk drinkers, hehe =)

To Jessicca, do you know if there is lactose free organic milk? Thanks!

Closed Thread