It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2004, 06:01 PM   #1
(female)

cricketchicket HB User
I'm desperate!! These are my "symptoms"...is doing a liver cleanse the way to go?

Ok,
So, I've had a lot of trouble over the past many months with a horrible rash that seems to have spread all over my body. This is what has happened to me, so please read and tell me what you think it is, and if I'm doing the right thing to treat it.

First of all, a few years back, I developed this really, horrible rash on the tops of my feet. I was working at a camp that summer, and just figured that I had either developed athlete's foot or eczema (I'm prone to eczema, anywya, but only really got it occasionally behind my knees and elbows). Well, I went to a dermatologist, and she told me that is was eczema, gave me a prescrip...and everything was hunky dory for over a year and a half.

Starting last November-ish, the skin on the tops of my feet got really bad again, with a red, raised, itchy rashed that just seemed to get worse and worse over the months. I also noticed a couple of small patches of red skin on my cheeks. I thought both the skin on my face and feet were due to the extremely cold winters we get where I live, and the skin on my face cleared up again, although it stayed EXTREMELEY DRY from that point onwards (the skin on my face has always been oily-ish). So, I used lots of cream on my body and face everyday and didn't think about it too much. My bf and I went to Jamaica in March, and the my skin was so wonderful and even rash on my feet cleared up dramatically after going into a mineral/salt water spa place for an hour. I though that was the solution!

Well, we got back home, and of course, it was still extremely cold and dry here, so my skin conditions came back and so i just kept on using a lot of cream, and figuring that the VERY dry skin on my face was due to weather and, perhaps me getting a little older (late 20's)?? I was really looking forward to summer, because it is more humid and thought my skin would clear up again.

Anyway, that time has not come. Since then, my skin has gotten 200% worse. The rash on my feet still persists, but doesn't cover as large of an area. I also have ring like patches of rashes that have popped up all over my legs and some on my stomach and arms. The skin on my face is dreadful...it is also sooooo DRY, red, and itchy. When I step out of the shower in the morning, my face INSTANTLY gets warm, red, and itchy...and very dry. I slather heavy cream on it immediately after getting out of the shower, and 10 minutes later...BOOM....dry, flushed, warm, red, crackly, itchy. The skin on my feet and rest of body is the same, although sometime the itchiness and raised-portion of the rash goes down, and then flares right back up again. Recently, my eyelids have started to become red, tight,and itchy. I notice the itchiest part of my face is around my jawline on both sides of my face, but the flushed part is everwhere on my cheeks. Nothing seems to help. I've seen about 3 different doctors, and a dermatologist about this. I've been tested for lupus, and run other blood tests,but nothing...the doc has done patch testing...nothing, although I do go back to see her in a few weeks, am going out of my mind with the constant itchiness and redness all over my body. I've changed soaps, detergents, you name it...to no avail.

Short of ripping off my own skin, I'm desperate. I've been taking an Omega 3-6-9 supplement for about a month and a half, now...with minor results. I've tried Oil of Oregano, with minor results. Of course, this is on top of the several creams and lotions that have been prescribed to me.

I've been hearing a lot about liver cleanses via diet, and have started one...today. I'm cutting out meat (I already don't eat meat), dairy, refined sugars....eating lots of organic veggies some fruits, nuts, cold pressed oils, fish, omega 3-6-9's, whole grains only like brown rice, etc....

However, does ANYONE, ANYONE at all have an idea of what this could be (I've thought of everything from lupus, to yeast overgrowth, to a faulty liver, to deficiencies..you name it). Do these symptoms sound familiar to ANYONE at all. I am so desperate. And, does the diet i suggested have any chance of working?

PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by cricketchicket; 09-08-2004 at 06:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 06:26 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: I'm desperate!! These are my "symptoms"...is doing a liver cleanse the way to go?

dunno but it sounds like dermatitis herpetiformus<< spelling..if it is then you are reacting to gluten..make a search..

Old 09-08-2004, 06:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: I'm desperate!! These are my "symptoms"...is doing a liver cleanse the way to go?

Get thee to a dermatologist. And I second Losec20mg thought that it could be an allergic reaction to something; wheat would be my first guess. I've seen this happen to my mother who has rheumatoid Arthritis - nightshades and wheat cause her to swell up horribly and they cause outbreaks of psorriasis but ONLY on the tops of her feet.

Nat

Old 09-08-2004, 06:33 PM   #4
(female)

cricketchicket HB User

Hi, sorry, i didn't mention earlier...i have celiac disease, therefore avoid ALL gluten containing foods....rye, oats, barely, wheat, spelt, etc, etc. I'm very strict about this, and have been for the past 6 years since I was diagnosed, so I don't think gluten is the culprit.

Old 09-08-2004, 06:58 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

yeah, i to am celiac and, i quickly learnt the this freakin gluten is everywhere and, its harming people..all over..sorry i just had too say it..lol have you noticed that gluten is found in all the junk foods...yes white flour is really that bad..companies put it everywhere to add weight and, volume so they can make more money..anyways.. I also want to mention that rheumatoid(arthtritis) is also caused by gluten..these people should go gluten free..and, they will eventually get better and, feel better..there are supposably 20 diferent types of desease associated with gluten..this stuff shouldn't be produced...for it is harming people galor and, they don't even know about it.. grrrr...

Sorry bout that..but its all the truth..anyways are you really strict with your diet can you please tell me the things you eat??

Old 09-09-2004, 05:33 AM   #6
(female)

cricketchicket HB User

Let's see....

I eat lots of fruits and veggies, and as I'm a vegetarian, I don't any meat. Sometimes the occasional piece of fish, but that's it. I eat rice pasta, with homemade pesto sauces or pesto sauces from the grocery store with NO gluten. I'm a label *****...*lol*...i read labels like nobody's business, and therefore don't eat any foods with gluten in it. I know what to look for. You're right, gluten is in many things, but my diet is very restrictive and most of my food is homemade. When I go out to restaurants, we usually chose places that cater to vegetarian lifestyles, and usually those recipes also cater to those with food allergies, so it works for me. I also eat a lot of pototoes, sometimes corn, sometimes rice, gluten free cereals, gluten free milk drinks (mostly bought at health food stores), plain nuts, etc. I hardly eat desserts, and when I do it's ice cream or fruit or something without gluten in it. I use gluten free soy sauces when I eat stirfry and the sauces we buy are ALWAYS checked before they are bought.

So...any takers on this one?

Old 09-09-2004, 05:37 AM   #7
(female)

cricketchicket HB User

Oh, and I used to get Dermatitis Herpetiformis before I was diagnosed with celiac disease, and what i had was MUCH different than what I have now. I'm almost 100% that it's not that.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:11 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

well it seems to me you are on the right track with your food..i have a friend celiac and, she's developed those little red dots too, so i will find out from her exactly what they are...i will let you know..i will be hearing from her very soon..keep it up..you're doing great

oh yeah, have you gotten used to your diet because i know its life long..eyy and, what do you eat at a friends house..?? because i know my friends eat alot of junk eww..not to many people eat like us..we are the top health freaks..lol

Gluten is junk. junk, junk..

did you know that God himself put poison in the gluten?? yup it is written in the bible...imagine people acctualy eat that stuff, little do they know they are
eating crap..and, extremely bad for the health..Yup yup

Last edited by Losec20mg; 09-09-2004 at 07:34 AM.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:56 AM   #9
(female)

cricketchicket HB User

Thanks for the replies...

However, I know for certain that my rash (they are not "little red dots"..they are large, ring-like, varying in shape) is NOT from gluten. I have already seen several doctors and a dermatologist, none of whom believe it is from gluten. I have been eating this way for several years, so I know what to eat and avoid. If I go to a friend's house, I either eat nothing or veggies/fruit...or I prepare the meal myself.

Again, I've never had this before, and I've been eating gluten free for about 7 years, now...and this has only started recently (esp. with the dry, red, flushed face).

Any other ideas?

Last edited by cricketchicket; 09-09-2004 at 07:56 AM.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:27 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hi cricket..maybe you should go for na allergy testing..maybe its somtin else..but all in all its not to seriuos..so don't worry about it that much..

you are doing great

Old 09-09-2004, 09:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketchicket
Again, I've never had this before, and I've been eating gluten free for about 7 years, now...and this has only started recently (esp. with the dry, red, flushed face).
Have you changed anything about what you eat or what you use (soap, detergent, perfume, etc) in that time? Gluten is not the only alergy that can affect you like this; nuts, soy, eggs, dairy - they are all possible culprits. And they are things that can develop overnight.

Another possiblility is that you're eating lots of veggies and foods rich in Omega 6 EFAs (and from the sounds of it you've been doing this for a while); perhaps you have even more of an unbalanced ratio of omega 6 : omega 3? [the more I read about this the more I think there is something here, cricket] Most of us have a ratio close to 20:1 (some of us, depending on where we live have a ratio of 30:1) when it should be more like 4:1. The first and most common symptom of an Omega 3 deficiency is "eczema-like skin eruptions" followed by dry eyes, digestive disorders and hyperactivity.

There are some studies out there that claim if your balance of EFAs is very off and you continue eating a diet rich in omega 6, or supplementing with Omega 6, you will not feel better, or get better, until you right that balance - you should stop supplementing with O6 and use only sources of O3. Deficiencies in omega 3 are linked with Eczema, Acne and Psoriasis - just to name those dealing with skin.

I really think there might be something to this, kiddo.
Nat

Old 09-09-2004, 10:24 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

hi Gopherhead..i to eat lots of veggies..i cook everyday for my mom aswell and, she basically eats like me..except for her brown bread..so what kinda veggies do you recommend the most..cuz im eating all of them..

Old 09-09-2004, 10:47 AM   #13
(female)

cricketchicket HB User

Ok, interesting...

I never would have thought there was an unbalanced ratio, because I started taking on supplements AFTER the dry, red, flushed skin on my face and the rash on the rest of my body was already quite bad. I have been using the supplements for about a month and a half, but my skin was terrible long before I started taking any of the supplements. However, I will explain what I am taking as an essential fatty acid supplement so maybe you can decipher this. I actually went to the health food store to buy Flax seed oil supplements, but I consulted the woman working there and she told me to take an Omega 3-6-9 supplement, which has all three together. The brand is called "Health Balance", and each casule contains 400mg of Borage Oil, 400mg of Flax Oil, 400mg of Fish oil. I take about 6 a day. I did find that it helped somewhat in the beginning, but not as much right now. I also take iron supplements and vitamin b12.

I guess I shouldn't say LOTS of veggies, because I don't overload on them, but I do try and make that the basis of my meals, although sometimes I don't.

I have also thought about the nut, dairy, egg, soy allergies, which is why I am not eating anymore dairy. I don't often eat soy, except I did find a really good soy pasta the other day (gluten free) and I have to say it tastes really good. But for my own purposes, I will not eat it anymore, just to see. I don't eat eggs, so that is not something I suspect. I occastionally eat nuts, but not very often. I don't have any around our apartment, so I will just hold off eating them for awhile. I do, however, think that dairy has a lot to do with my overall health. There are some immediate reactioins that I notice that whenever I eat dairy, my head feels clogged and my mouth gets mucous-y (sorry, gross! yuck!). And if what you say is true and some allergies can happen overnight, then def. another type of food could be the cause.

I thought that detergent or soaps were causing the rashes and dry skin, and have switched to unscented detergent and Aveeno soap for my body and Cetaphil lotion for washing my face. I still use the Cetaphil on my face because it is soothing, however I found that with the detergent and soap, nothing changed much with my skin, after using both for months.

Anyway, look over what I've written, and let me know.

Regards.

Last edited by cricketchicket; 09-09-2004 at 10:51 AM.

Old 09-09-2004, 11:24 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketchicket
I never would have thought there was an unbalanced ratio, because I started taking on supplements AFTER the dry, red, flushed skin on my face and the rash on the rest of my body was already quite bad. I have been using the supplements for about a month and a half, but my skin was terrible long before I started taking any of the supplements. However, I will explain what I am taking as an essential fatty acid supplement so maybe you can decipher this. I actually went to the health food store to buy Flax seed oil supplements, but I consulted the woman working there and she told me to take an Omega 3-6-9 supplement, which has all three together.
The thing with the balancing of the EFA's is that you almost never have a dificiency of 6 - it's much more available in our traditional North American diet. Your skin may have been getting worse because you're getting lots of 6 and little 3 due to your diet. Continuing to use foods high in omega 6 and to supplement with it (even though you are supplementing with 3 as well) will exacerbate the situation because you're not fixing the balance, you're maintaining the out of balanced ratio.

Vegetable oils (corn, soy, canola, safflower and sunflower oil), which have been pushed as being the healthiest of oils, are everywhere and in everything, and they are primarily omega 6 in nature. Even flax oil, which is considered a good source of omega 3 also contains 6 - unfortunately the type of omega 3 we need has to be created in our bodies from the oil found in flax oil (ALA, alpha linolenic acid), and many of us are very inefficient at making this conversion. If you get your omega 3 from fish sources instead you get your EPA and DHA directly. EPA and DHA are more rapidly incorporated into plasma and membrane lipids and produce more rapid effects than ALA.

Food sources of EPA and DHA are found primarily in oily cold-water fish such as tuna, salmon, and mackerel. ALA is found primarily in dark green leafy vegetables, flaxseed oils, and walnuts.

BTW, omega 9 is not considered an EFA; it's a mono unsaturate oil called Oleic acid (think olive oil). It's a good oil, but it's not an EFA.

I suggest you do a little reasearch on this; I've been doing some and there is a lot of helpful information out there.

Cheers,
Nat

Old 09-09-2004, 12:00 PM   #15
(female)

cricketchicket HB User

So, what do you suggest I should take as a supplement, then?

Closed Thread