It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2004, 01:31 PM   #1
(female)

cowgirl2703 HB User
Juice Fasting

I have been thinking about juice fasting but I don't have a juicer. I have some pineapple juice in a can that doesn't have anything added to it. Its all natural. Can I successfully juice fast on that? What about other juices like low-sodium V8?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2004, 08:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

davelacb HB User
Re: Juice Fasting

Dont juice fast! You will lose the weight as long as you do the fast and then you will gain it right back. Hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2004, 09:24 PM   #3

viver HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl2703
I have been thinking about juice fasting but I don't have a juicer. I have some pineapple juice in a can that doesn't have anything added to it. Its all natural. Can I successfully juice fast on that? What about other juices like low-sodium V8?
As you probably know, juice fasting generally not done for weight loss, but for health reasons. You may be able to fast on that pineapple juice, but I would not recommend it. Usually it's better to have fresh juice (vegetable or fruit) -- diluted with water (50/50 or so). I know some people who fast on a "Master Cleanser" mixture (fresh lemon juice, maple syrup and a dash of cayenne), but I haven't tried that.

My first juice fasts in the 1970s were relatively short and supervised by people who knew what they were doing. It helps to have a juice fast supervised or at least read a couple of books on the issue to know what to expect. I usually do not recommend fasts for people these days as I think years of stress and struggle plus a poor diet can make the process more difficult.

Good luck with whatever you try!

Viver

Old 09-17-2004, 07:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Whatever the reason for the juice fast (I agree, hopefully it is NOT to lose weight) . . . canned juices are FAR, FAR from optimal. They have been processed and pasteurized killing most of the beneficial enzymes one wants.

Old 09-17-2004, 10:30 AM   #5
(female)

cowgirl2703 HB User

I have been doing a lot of reading on juice fasting and water fasting and I am pretty much sold on doing it. Of course, weight loss is always bonus, but my main reason is not for that. I have some issues health wise that I have read that fasting is good for. I have read what to expect in the first few days, the middle and the end and even how to come off the fast. I don't have a juicer yet, though and the one I want is pricey so that is going to have to wait a bit, but I am anxious to get started as soon as possible.

On the canned juice, if most of the beneficial enzymes have been destroyed then I wouldn't want to go with canned juice, but does that mean it won't aid in fasting until I get a juicer?

Old 09-17-2004, 11:11 AM   #6

eddy002 HB User

Juice fasting is not the way to lose weight. If you use this type of weight loss method you will cause more harm than good. Fruit and vegetable juice play their part in our diets, but not as a meal. Both fruit and vegatables are diffrent types of carbohydrates. The pealing of fruit is fiber. Your body needs 20 diffrent amino acids to preform everyday task. Nine of the 20 are Essential meaning our body create them in one way or another. The onlt way we can get them is from foods that are high in protein. By only drinking juice your body will become malnutritioned, you will lose weight but not the way you intend to. The first time you eat a solid meal your body will take everything it can and store it as fat because you have been starving it during your fast. Plus there are numerous mental effects it can have, by depriving you body of diffrent kinds of protein you will throw the production of Neurotransmitters off which can have serious side effects. The better way to approach your diet is to lower the intake of carbohydrates to about 1.2 grams for every pound of body weight. Only consume 45 grams of essential fats, eat 1.4 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, and drink about 1 gallon of water a day, and eat fiber with every meal for example I weight 200 pounds that would be 240 grams of carbs, 280 grams of protein, 45 grams of fat 1 gal of water per day. then you take those amounts and divide them by six. That would mean that I would have to consume 40 grams of carbs, 46 grams of protein,7.5 grams of fat and 21 ounces of water six times a day. Do this and I promise results. By eating more times a day you consume smaller amounts that your body uses faster , which speeds up you metabolism. that equals weight loss. Plus always do aerobicand cardiovascular exercise on a empty stomach.

Old 09-17-2004, 02:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl2703
On the canned juice, if most of the beneficial enzymes have been destroyed then I wouldn't want to go with canned juice, but does that mean it won't aid in fasting until I get a juicer?
In that case, I'd give preference to something like the Master Cleanser. Or, I'd do a "fast" eating just fresh raw fruit (and veggies, if you want).

Old 09-19-2004, 06:38 AM   #8
Inactive

zip2play HB User

I see a juice only fast as a diet that is almost 100% sugar. 'Nuff said.

Last edited by zip2play; 09-19-2004 at 06:38 AM.

Old 09-19-2004, 05:40 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

This is a little unrelated to the question but if I have more than one glass of any juice that is citris or tomato a day I get canker sores in my mouth. I can only imagine what would happen to me if I drank only a diet of juice for any length of time.

Old 09-20-2004, 07:51 AM   #10
(female)

cowgirl2703 HB User

Thanks guys. You have at least convinced me to think about it some more. I have read that juice fasting cleanses your body and heals a lot of things. It sounds great until I read the down side of it. You are probably right. The best way to get healthier is just to eat right and exercise. Duh, right?

Kari-I did read from a source that you can get canker sores from a juice fast but then they would heal. But no one wants canker sores to begin with. Ouch!

Thanks Eddy for all the info!

Last edited by cowgirl2703; 09-20-2004 at 07:52 AM.

Old 09-21-2004, 07:19 AM   #11
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

Years ago I did several 7 day WATER FASTS with the purpose of removing poisons and toxins which came out of my body with vengence. This was done at a health resort in Florida and was supervised. I plan on doing another one in the near future especially since I live in a large polluted city. I agree that a FAST should not be done primarily to lose weight. A low calorie diet over a long period of time is best. I once read an article that stated by removing poisons and toxins from the body plus maintaining a clean colon (colonics) can reduce your risk of illness by 50%. Since I've done both I've never been sick (I'm 64). Could be pure luck or maybe not. I also take enormous amounts of supplements in the4 form of powder, liquid and capsules. Prevention is the best medicine. I know so many people who take better care of their cars and pets then they do themselves.

Old 10-04-2004, 04:30 PM   #12

candyapple7 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Juice Fasting

I consider doing this once a week, I would like just to do pineapple and ornage juice, I could do it my blender. What juices are you condsidering.!Are they going to be unsweetnen.

Old 09-10-2005, 08:26 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

sinnister81 HB User

K everyone, I have ocd depression and anxiety, I have tried everything and have been reading studies about how fasting can seriously benefit health and its something I have yet to try. Also in the bble it said "certain demons can only be overcome thru prayer and fasting. Im willing to give it a try and am gonna do frozen fruit for 2 days to prepare my body along with lots of water with lemon juice. I have been using loads of prescription drugs within the last couple of years and as of now am taking 5htp and ltyrosine and st johns wort as an amino acid appraoch to repleting neurotransmitters. I read a post above where somene wrote about fasting sending them out of whack. I am hoping anyone with any suggestions can help. As far as supervision, my mother is well versed in medicine, shes a nurse working on surgetech, and also inputs medical journals for nih so shell be doing the supervising. Hope u guys can offer some tips to make it easier. And most important does anyone think its dangerous for me?

Last edited by sinnister81; 09-10-2005 at 08:37 PM.

Closed Thread