It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2004, 01:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Upset about food...no sleep

I cooked a great dinner last night and then had a few coconut cashews and a starbucks latte afterwards to squash my sweet tooth and I was feelin' pretty good.

At around 10pm, after studying for a while for a test, I decided I wanted something else to snack on. I went to the kitchen and cut up a big nectarine and had it with cottage cheese and sugarfree jam. Then had half an apple and a whole bag of these sugar free (but not calorie free!) sour candies. I was pretty full at this point and felt really really badly about myself. I couldn't let it go and stayed up worrying about it until pretty late. Then, the entire night I was tossing and turning because I was so absolutely stressed out about eating that!
I know that I was just stressed about other things, but I used food as an outlet and I HATE when I do that.

Now I feel really fat and out of control today...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2004, 03:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Upset about food...no sleep

Doesn't look bad to me at all. All those snacks were virtually low fat, unless you ate a lot during the day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Unhappy Re: Upset about food...no sleep

LS, sorry you're having such a rough time and I'm sorry I don't feel capable of offering much advice - I'm really lost when it comes to this type of thing. Ask me about biology and chemistry and I can figure it out, but this?

Do you have anyone you can talk to in your life about how you're feeling? Do you have access to counselling? Have you checkout out the ED board here? If it's anything like the other specialized forums there are some really helpful people answering questions...

Keep telling yourself that tomorrow is a new day and the past is just that. Guilt is horrid and can be very self destructive.

Nat

Old 09-16-2004, 07:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I ate a normal amount during the day...eggs and cottage cheese for breakfast and a nonfat latte, and a chicken salad for lunch. I think there were some triggers that made me stressed/upset last night and that is why I overate. Today I didn't eat breakfast on purpose because I was so mad at myself and then I made a salad for lunch with tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, squash, spinach, and turkey. I'm not sure what I'm going to eat for dinner, but I feel like I shouldn't even eat anything.

Nat- your advice helps me so much. I know you don't think you know what you are talking about when it comes to things like this, but you really do help. I hope you don't mind that I ask so many questions and constantly struggle with my eating. All I was thinking about all day was how fat I am going to become and how I need to drastically restrict my food intake the next couple days so that I can compensate. My head literally hurts from stressing out about this. I need to stop. I think I might eliminate anything sweet from my diet (including low carb candies,etc) so that I can just wean myself from sweets!!

Old 09-16-2004, 08:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS289
I think there were some triggers that made me stressed/upset last night and that is why I overate.

I think I might eliminate anything sweet from my diet (including low carb candies,etc) so that I can just wean myself from sweets!!
Now this I know about

Do you keep a food journal, LS? It's a proven way of spotting trends and figuring out things that othewise seem to make no sense. You write down your meals and then how you feel after eating them, it helps you figure out what triggers you. I know that soy now makes me blow up like a puffer fish, if I didn't have the journal I'd have no idea it was the damned soy. A doctor I have been seeing also suggested keeping track of weight am/pm to see if you're bloating up during the day - a few lbs more is expected at night, after all the food and water you ingest weighs something but more than average nightly weighing would help you identify foods that cause you to bloat and feel awful the next day.

As for the artifcial sweeteners, many people find that they can set them off just as easily as the real thing. The thinking is "if it tastes like sugar it must be sugar" and the body responds accordingly. Each time (from what I recall) when you've posted about feeling out of control I remember the mention of a Latte - do you otherwise drink a lot of milk? (there's abour 44g of carbs, mainly from lactose, in a grande latte)

They've done testing on diabetics with sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners and some of them do get insulin spikes when these are ingested. You could be sensitive.

Hang in there, toots. Even if you went hog wild you'd have a hard time gaining a real pound of fat - eating 3,500 calories above your maintenance level when you're conscious of what you're eating and you're avoiding junk food isn't easy, take it from someone who's had to do it!

Nat

Old 09-17-2004, 09:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Hi Nat- You're probably right about my sensitivity to the carbs in the lattes...that is the only time I drink milk! I'm sure that's what spikes my insulin or something!!

I'm not reallys ure what to do about the artificial sweeteners. Ideally, I would not eat any sweets whether they were made with sugar or fake sugar, but that is very hard for me. I crave sweets after meals all the time and I can't imagine not getting my "fix." I'm sure if I REALLY tried for a few days to eat ZERO sweets I would be able to get over the cravings, but that is just so hard to do!

Tonight I had a big sweet tooth after dinner so I crushed up peanuts and ate them with a 'no sugar added' ice cream sandwich (I was actually debating betwen a lowfat ice cream sandwith with 130 calories or the low carb one with 180 calories and 7g of fat!..which one is the better choice in your opinion?). Then I mixed a bowl of cottage cheese and cream cheese with splenda (I wanted something creamy). I was going to try and not eat anything sweet after dinner, but I couldn't do it! I think it also had to do with the fact that I didn't eat a whole lot during the day....Just chicken vegetable soup with fat free cheese for lunch, eggs and cottage cheese this morning, teriyaki tofu and vegetables for dinner, and some carbolite frozen yogurt.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll get a scale and try the whole weighing thing...yikes!!

Old 09-18-2004, 07:37 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

LS,

Use the incident to your advantage. Remember to ask yourself whether a few snacks are worth a ruined night's sleep. I think usually, you'll answer "NO".

I do it with hypnosis and long long term alcohol control. One of my "suggestions" is to remember how disturbing alcohol is to a good night's sleep...it's one of the most convincing of the suggestions I make.

Old 09-18-2004, 08:41 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS289
I was going to try and not eat anything sweet after dinner, but I couldn't do it! I think it also had to do with the fact that I didn't eat a whole lot during the day....Just chicken vegetable soup with fat free cheese for lunch, eggs and cottage cheese this morning, teriyaki tofu and vegetables for dinner, and some carbolite frozen yogurt.
Are there any AS (artificial sweeteners) in the carbolite frozen yoghurt? I'm betting they are - most carbolite products contain them. Perhaps that is what set you off?

What about having fruit as your dessert? Berries with a little whipped cream (no sugar or As added!). Your carbs are low during the day, your fat can be a little higher - in fact in the evening it might be better for you to have a higher fat / lower carb meal.

Yes, it's hard the first few days when you cut out the sugar - but then it's like you wake up from a daze, and you do, literally - a sugar daze. This is something most low carb diets cover in their plans (hint hint - reading one would be a good idea )

Which of those two desserts do I think is best? Neither - especially for you. If I'm going to have icecream I'll make it a treat and have the real stuff - and make it decadent and expensive because that's what a treat is to me. You, on the other hand, would probably be set off by either the AS or the sugar, so the calories/fat etc of the treat aren't as important as those from the foods you're going to eat afterward when the AS/Sugar sets you off.

Try to make an effort to eat more during the day that too should help.

Nat

Old 09-19-2004, 02:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I know what you mean about waking up from the sugar daze! I successfully eliminated most sugar from my diet at the beginning of the summer and have never felt so great in my life! I didn't even crave chocolate and sweets after a while...

The carbolite frozen yogurt does have fake sugar in it-splenda I think. I guess that could set me off, but I love frozen yogurt so much that I don't think I'm willing to give that up. Besides, it's better than eating the full-sugar type!

What are your thoughts on eating a lot of nuts? I eat quite a few of them almost everyday...

Old 09-19-2004, 03:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

I love nuts - I eat them daily and I live with one I try to get an ounce of walnuts in every day because of the type of fat they contain (EFAs). The only nuts I avoid are almonds because they can mess with my already messed up thyroid. Nuts are healthy; a great alternative to some other snacks that are out there.

Nat

Old 09-19-2004, 09:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

I love nuts, as well. I just sometimes worry because they are so high in calories! I eat frozen yogurt a lot and instead of other toppings I get crushed peanuts or almonds on it, and, although they are high in calories, I feel like I am being healthier.

I am having one of those days again where I feel really fat, but I didn't overeat (I don't think) and I am stressing for no reason! I had egg beaters and cottage cheese for breakfast/lunch at 11am. Then I got some carbolite frozen yogurt with a little almond roca on top around 1pm. I had 2 slices of vegi cheese as a snack at 630 and then chicken,some lite caesar salad, and a piece of bruschetta for dinner. Now I am having some 'diet' hot cocoa and a few coconut cashews for dessert. That is not too bad, right? I know I didn't exercise today, but I shouldn't feel bad about what I ate.

Old 09-20-2004, 11:38 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

Why not try limiting your sweets to 100 calories a day or less? Maybe if you put a cap on the amount you can have you won't be as tempted to over-do it.

Old 09-20-2004, 05:14 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Yeah-that would be a good idea. I also thought of maybe saying just one sweet thing after dinner, whether it be a fudgsicle, a mug of hot chocolate, etc...but that doesn't always seem to work. I guess I make excuses in my head or something.
Today has been good so far. Hope it stays that way! Going to the gym so that will make me feel better.....

Old 10-06-2004, 03:41 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

I wouldn't fret about it, you ate real foods, you probably ate because of hunger pure and simple, nothing to do with emotional reasons, tho you have emotions every one does and everyone eats, not correlation, just a mistaken idea that there is.

if you absolutly were not hungry your body wouldn't let you eat, stress causes a shut down in appetite not a stirring only hungry people get hungry and binge or eat when stressed, this is their body getting them to do make up eating when willpower is low, nothing mysterious or bad about it.

RR

Last edited by dreamer89; 10-06-2004 at 03:41 PM.

Old 10-06-2004, 04:54 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer40
if you absolutly were not hungry your body wouldn't let you eat, stress causes a shut down in appetite not a stirring only hungry people get hungry and binge or eat when stressed, this is their body getting them to do make up eating when willpower is low, nothing mysterious or bad about it.
I am confused, can you please explain to me how your body won't let you eat if you're not hungry because of stress and yet how hungry people get hungry and eat when stressed?

Closed Thread