It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2004, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

razzelspaz HB User
Going Vegan!

I am 5'1 and currently 105 pounds. I'm also a vegetarian. I was a vegetarian from birth to about 13 years of age. At 13, I started to eat meat because my mom started, so I followed in her path.

After some long thought, I decided to become vegetarian again last year, because I'm against killing animals and I wasn't that fond of meat, anyway, probably because I was brought up vegetarian.

Now I'd like to take it a step further, and become vegan...but I don't know how to tell my mom. She already thinks I'm too thin (which is not true, I'm fine for my height) but I'm afraid she'll freak out on me, or think I'm trying to lose weight. I love icecream, but I won't have a problem giving it up for the cause. However, I know my mom will wonder why I've stopped eating it, along with other dairy products, such as cheese.

As well, I'm having a hard time finding some breakfast foods that aren't too low in calories, but contain no dairy in them.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Old 09-20-2004, 06:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Going Vegan!

Whole Foods has tons of options for vegans. Like there is a cereal called Hi Low, and you can use soy milk in it. Cereal is a great option for vegans, with rice milk or soy of course. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 06:59 PM   #3

llamamuffinmama HB User

Hey.
It really shouldn't be hard to show your mom there isn't anything to worry about. PCRM(Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine) and Vegan Outreach are two good sources of nutritional and health information, and the American Heart Association and other longstanding and well established groups give a big seal of approval. So you can just run that kind of stuff by her/ get more info from them and it should put her worries to rest.

You don't have to give up ice cream! You can just buy "ice cream" made with soy milk or rice milk instead of cow's milk. There are lots of brands including Soy Delicious, Soy Dream, Rice Dream, Whole Soy, Double Rainbow Soy Cream, Mocha Mix, etc. Also, most sorbets are vegan! Yummy.

If you don't want to lose weight, you shouldn't have to worry about getting enough calories. For breakfast, you could try a tofu scramble with olive oil, some veggies, salt and pepper and other spices/herbs to taste, plus cereal with soymilk (Peace Cereal and Nature's Path have some GREAT cereals, plus a lot of mainstream cereals like Rice Krispies are also vegan). Or almond, oat, rice, hazelnut, or other non-dairy milk.

You can also very easily make vegan pancakes (from scratch or from a mix like the wild oats one). There are vegan breakfast sausages, vegan bacon slices, you can make homefries with margarine instead of butter (i like earth balance non-hydrogenated organic myself), there are great dairy free yogurts (like Silk brand, Whole Soy, and others), and that's just the start!

Oatmeal and other porridges, waffles, tofu omelettes, vegan breakfast burritos, fruit salad, smoothies of all kinds, eggless french toast, toast or bagels with tofutti non-dairy cream cheese and/or jam, peanutbutter, tahini, hummus, etc...

MMMmm. I love being vegan.

Have fun!!

Old 09-21-2004, 02:30 PM   #4

Kapera_X HB User

My sister was a vegetarian for 3 years then two years ago she became a vegan. She has always been thin, but she hasn't lost any weight. She eats Amy brand food, it's vegan. They have pizza, chilli, and lots of other things. She eats much more than that, but I figured you would be interested incase you didn't already know. OH and insted of ice cream she eats sorbet, not to be confused with sherbet. Sorbet comes in flavors from chocolate to rasberry, and it's really good.

Old 11-28-2004, 12:57 PM   #5
(female)

razzelspaz HB User

It's been awhile since I've commented on here! Thanks for the tips everybody!

Old 11-28-2004, 01:13 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

try looking for gluten free items, lots of those are vegans..

Old 11-29-2004, 09:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamamuffinmama
Or almond, oat, Oatmeal and other porridges, waffles, tofu omelettes, vegan breakfast burritos, fruit salad, smoothies of all kinds, eggless french toast, toast or bagels with tofutti non-dairy cream cheese and/or jam, peanutbutter, tahini, hummus, etc...

MMMmm. I love being vegan.

Have fun!!
How do you make tofu omelettes?

Old 11-29-2004, 08:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

If you choose to go vegan, make sure you become informed about nutrition for the vegan. Unfortunately, many go that route without adequately informing themselves and end up in trouble, frequently anemic. Vitamin B12 is found in animal foods naturally, not plant foods. A vegan will need to use an adequate amount of B12-fortified foods. Since I'm not vegan myself, or even vegetarian, I'm not really familiar with what they are or how much you'd need daily. I just know there are things like the fortified soy milk out there.

Old 11-30-2004, 07:36 PM   #9

llamamuffinmama HB User

I'm sure there are several ways to make vegan omelettes, but this is my favorite. It's from the cookbook "How It All Vegan".

Easy Tofu Omelette

1/2 lb medium tofu, mashed
1/2 Tbsp or so of soy sauce (I use Bragg's Liquid Aminos instead for this)
1/8 tsp turmeric
1 tsp olive oil
omelette filling(s) of choice (I use assorted veggies and sometimes Follow Your Heart soy cheese)

In a small bowl, mash together the tofu, soy, and turmeric. In a medium fry pan, on med-hi heat, saute the tofu mixture in the oil, pressing down with the back of a spatula so that the mixture spreads out flat against the bottom of the pan while the bottom of the tofu is cooking. Cook 6-8 minutes or until the bottom of the omelette starts to sear. Add filling ingredients to one half of the omelette and and flip the other half over to cover. Cover with lid, reduce heat to medium low, and let sit for a few more minutes until the veggies/soy cheese in the filling are cooked.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:01 PM   #10

llamamuffinmama HB User

*Red Star Nutritional Yeast* isan excellent vegan source of B12 and other vitamins and minerals (1 1/2 tablespoons has 133% of the RDA)- great to season gravies and "cheese" sauces, sprinkled on salads or popcorn, etc. Cheesy/nutty tasting- yum.

A lot of mock meats, soymilks, cereals, and other foods are fortified with B12, too

Closed Thread