It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004, 01:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User
Hummus

I just ate hummus with lunch. I read the nutrition label, and, to my surprise, because it is made of garbanzo beans, it is fairly calorie dense. However, this is not a food to be avoided, correct? I was so proud of myself for making a nice little spinach salad with tomato, onion, olives, and some turkey rolled up with hummus, but then I felt bad after I read the calorie content. Yikes!!!

Old 09-21-2004, 05:01 PM   #2
(female)

AnitaPita HB User
Re: Hummus

I love hummus! I think your meal was good. I eat something similar for lunch but I dip a few slices of pita bread into hummus. In my opinion it is fine as long as you arent eating a ton of it right before bedtime.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 05:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Thumbs up Re: Hummus

Repeat after me, LS :

Calories are necessary for health

Old 09-21-2004, 11:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Calories are necessary for health.

Old 09-22-2004, 04:43 AM   #5
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Hummus has so many advantages as a good food, the sesame and olive oils are good healthy oils, the chickpeas are perhaps the lowest glycemic carbohydrates commonly available in the U.S. Every 20 grams of carbs copntains a total of 7 grams soluble fiber and almost NOTHING outside the legume family can claim that kind of fiber content.

AND it has as much protein as it does fiber.

With a piece of pita and MAYBE a vitamin pill a day, it is sufficiently nutrient dense to support life absent any other food.

As you say, it's a calorie dense food (as are any beans, especially if blended with plenty of oil) and thus it should be eaten more as an entire meal rather than as a snack food.

I make mine with extra toasted sesame seeds and PLENTY of garlic. YUMM. It's the best use of my Cusineart.

a tip: Less oil makes for less calories so you can smmoth it up with some ice water replacing a portion of the oil and use a low-salt soy sauce to keep sodium from outrageous levels. If you have the stamina to use dried chickpeas (I don't) you can get the sodium QUITE low.

Last edited by zip2play; 09-22-2004 at 04:47 AM.

Old 09-22-2004, 08:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
I make mine with extra toasted sesame seeds and PLENTY of garlic. YUMM. It's the best use of my Cusineart.

a tip: Less oil makes for less calories so you can smmoth it up with some ice water replacing a portion of the oil and use a low-salt soy sauce to keep sodium from outrageous levels. If you have the stamina to use dried chickpeas (I don't) you can get the sodium QUITE low.
I eat hummus daily also--with soy crisps. I do something similar to what Zip does (besides the stents we have), where I substitute out the oil for lemon juice. Actually, I quit using tahini, all together, and now add in only a few drops of avocado oil to a can of garbanzos in my food processor. From there, I just add a little bit of cumin seeds, a clove or two of garlic, the lemon juice (perhaps a Tbsp or two), a little paprika, plus either artichoke hearts, or a few black olives (without pits).

Last edited by ubernier; 09-22-2004 at 08:54 AM.

Old 09-23-2004, 06:25 AM   #7
Inactive

zip2play HB User

ubie,
I of course use lemon juice and tahini (I found a nice toasted tahini...sublimo) but I've never thought of using cumin. I SHOULD have because I bury my black bean soup with it.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try the cumin next time (and a shake of paprika.)

Closed Thread