It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2004, 05:54 PM   #1

alwaysgod2 HB User
Fear of drinking milk...

Sounds weird i know. But im so afraid that if i drink milk i'll get fat. OK let me explain... In personal fitness at my school, my teacher said that if you wanna gain weight drink a glass of milk with every meal. So since then i thought that if i drank that much milk i would get fat. is this true? I have fat free milk, but not in gallon size. So by the end of the week im out, and i dont wanna drink whole milk, but i know i need the calcium.

Old 09-22-2004, 06:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Fear of drinking milk...

You gain a pound of fat by eating 3,500 more calories than you're burning, period. You can do those calories with milk or you can do it with candy bars or you can do it with kentucky fried chicken. All things in moderation.

People trying to gain muscle, or bulk up, eat a lot of calories because gaining isn't easy. Milk is something they use because its healthful, unlike sodas. Keep in mind that gaining 'weight' is not the same as gaining 'fat'.

You can get calcium from many sources, not just milk. Beans, green leafy vegetables, whole grain products, nuts and figs all contain calcium. Think about it, there are people out there who are lactose intollerant and cannot drink milk, they must also get their calcium, just from other sources.

Nat

Last edited by Gopherhead; 09-22-2004 at 06:06 PM. Reason: speelin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 08:15 PM   #3
(female)

Jogaholic HB User

You're not going to get fat by drinking milk. Period. I would suggest drinking 1% or 2% instead of fat free, and especially instead of whole milk. If part of the case is also that you just don't like milk, eat yogurt, cheese, etc (the list gopherhead gave you is good too) in place of it to get the calcium. You could also try Viactiv calcium chews for women. It's a big idea now that having 3 servings of dairy products a day, including milk, will actually help you lose weight because of the calcium. Anything is bad for you in excess - so just try to balance out your diet. You could gain weight by eating a potato with every meal just as well. Milk does the body good!

Old 09-23-2004, 05:54 AM   #4
Inactive

zip2play HB User

alwaysgod,

Skip the milk if you don't like drinking it.
I'm sure that man is the only creature bizarre enough to eat a food designed ONLY for the infants of other species.
Every animal with a skeleton does pretty well WITHOUT this aberrant food without their bones falling apart.
As gopher said, there are plenty of sources of calcium besides milk.

There's also a growing body of thought that points to bone decalcification caused more by TOO MUCH PROTEIN than from too little calcium.

Lots of people with lactose intolerance live long happy lives without calves' food.

Old 09-23-2004, 05:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogaholic
You're not going to get fat by drinking milk. Period. I would suggest drinking 1% or 2% instead of fat free, and especially instead of whole milk. If part of the case is also that you just don't like milk, eat yogurt, cheese, etc (the list gopherhead gave you is good too) in place of it to get the calcium. You could also try Viactiv calcium chews for women. It's a big idea now that having 3 servings of dairy products a day, including milk, will actually help you lose weight because of the calcium. Anything is bad for you in excess - so just try to balance out your diet. You could gain weight by eating a potato with every meal just as well. Milk does the body good!
Why not fat free? Doesn't 1 and 2% have the same vitamin content in it?

Last edited by Jess75; 09-24-2004 at 06:51 AM.

Old 09-29-2004, 03:48 PM   #6

gfd HB User

Milk make you burn fat faster just drink like skin milk .Milk is good for you it make your teeth and bones strong intill your like 35. That person that said skip milk if you dont like drinking it but they said your suppose drink like 2-3 glasses a day because good for you but if you really hate milk dont drink it but I rather have glass of milk with my dinner than soda pop. I drink like 2-3 gallons of milk a week I almost 24 year old girl I"m not fat .Tell you parents to buy more fat free milk so you dont to drink whole milk Have you seem on tv how milk help you burn fat faster and in the magnaizes.

Closed Thread