It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2004, 08:23 AM   #1

Fitzgirl HB User
Bad Ingredients

This is probably a redundant question, but why is it in the majority of store-bought pre-packaged foods, do these food companies insist on putting Aspartame, Soy, saccarin, MSG and other so-called harmful ingredients, even though they're not necessarily diet/low carb/etc. foods? (ie. chewing gum?) I mean, find myself having to buy the expensive natural gum in healthfood stores if I want a stick of gum!
This stuff just get's me a little ticked off whenever I go grocery shopping. Especially the many different aliases for sugar! (ie high fructose corn syrup, cane juice, crystalized cane...) I mean, what's the point of putting these ingredients in food if it's bad for you?

Thanx for listening to me rant. hah... if anyone has any input, please feel free to add!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Bad Ingredients

They are cheap and/or they extend shelf life and the public in general has not been demanding healthier ingredients. If an item sells, it will be duplicated by everyone (look at all this low-carb nonsense . . . you had to go to specialty stores for it in most places, even just a year or two ago).

And another problem now is that there is nowhere near complete agreement on what constitutes "bad" and "unhealthy".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 01:32 PM   #3

viver HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzgirl
This stuff just get's me a little ticked off whenever I go grocery shopping. Especially the many different aliases for sugar! (ie high fructose corn syrup, cane juice, crystalized cane...) I mean, what's the point of putting these ingredients in food if it's bad for you?
Fitzgirl,

I think the whole idea was to sell more 'stuff' at a low a cost as possible.
So anything to have it last longer and appeal to certain tastes or dietary philosophies caused the rush of development of these ingredients.

Along with the change in ingredients was advertising and PR to help get people to purchase these products. In the mid-1980's in Brazil (for example), there was essentially little to no use of artificial sweeteners because there was no diet industry. The manufacturers of diet foods started a campaign to raise weight-consciousness and "looks" issues and build a diet industry that way.

But I think it is quickly changing to persons looking for more foods without additives, colorings, artificial products, etc. In think that is why we see so many large natural foods grocery stores and co-ops opening up and natural foods sections in some "normal" (junk food :-) grocery stores. Hopefully, the prices on these foods will go down as the demand continues to rise.

Twoggle

Old 09-23-2004, 05:33 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

i pitty the generation to come..heh did you guys know that white flour is in everything..i mean everything..i don't understand why are companies putting it everywhere..its found in

artificial flavors
flavors
natural flavors
msg
spices
seasonings
vinegar
ketchup
mustard
relish
soups
frozen foods
beer
drinks
dressings
etc etc

iv noticed they put this stuff in all the JUNK foods....

Old 09-23-2004, 10:40 PM   #5

Fitzgirl HB User

That's another thing! This "Low-Carb" stuff... Does it really have any effect whatsoever? I think it's another form of rationalization for so-called dieters... an excuse to say, "oh, well, it's low-carb... that means I can eat twice as much..." It's just another fad... however, very much over-blown. Low-Carb Reeses Pieces Peanutbutter Cups, case in point. Oh, and let's not forget the new Low-Carb Enteman's! Why don't people grab a jar of Natural Peanut Butter w/o added sugar? It's naturally Low-Carb!

Closed Thread