It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2004, 01:32 PM   #1

Kapera_X HB User
Question Is candy bad for me?

I'm on a diet because I'm trying to tone up. I exercise 5X's a week for two hours. I don't eat fried food, cake, or reallly anything fattening for that matter. I eat alot of fruits and vegetables, and chicken. And I don't eat many calories either, but 400 of the calories I do eat are from candy(fat free) I just love candy and I CANNOT stop eating it AT ALL.

So my question is...since my diet consist of fruts, vegetables, and poultry(basically), and the only junkfood I eat is fat free candy, will I still get the results from my diet and exercise that I want.

Old 09-24-2004, 05:17 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User
Re: Is candy bad for me?

hmmm..lets see, its like me telling you i train five times a week and, eat extremely healthy but, smoke a pack a day..duh!!..Yes its really no good for you..eat nuts instead, its more trendy and, better for you..IMO/..

PS: you are what you eat..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2004, 07:34 PM   #3

viver HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapera_X
I'm on a diet because I'm trying to tone up. I exercise 5X's a week for two hours.
Hi! Is that 5 times per week at two hours for each workout? Or is it two hours for the whole week?

Twoggle

Old 09-25-2004, 06:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
I'm on a diet because I'm trying to tone up. I exercise 5X's a week for two hours. I don't eat fried food, cake, or reallly anything fattening for that matter. I eat alot of fruits and vegetables, and chicken. And I don't eat many calories either, but 400 of the calories I do eat are from candy(fat free) I just love candy and I CANNOT stop eating it AT ALL.

So my question is...since my diet consist of fruts, vegetables, and poultry(basically), and the only junkfood I eat is fat free candy, will I still get the results from my diet and exercise that I want.
It depend on the results you're looking for and how long you want to wait for them. Is candy bad for you ? In this instance I'd have to say Yes, for two reasons:

1) if you're not eating many calories and 400 of them are coming from candy you might as well subtract 400 from your total calories for the day as candy (simple sugar) is pretty much void of any nutrition - you're eating 400 empty calories that could be used toward healthy vitamin and mineral rich foods that would help you reach your goal faster.

2) anything that you CANNOT stop eating At ALL should send up warning flags. This is not uncommon when talking about 'sugar' in it's most simplest of form - sugar can create addictive responses in some people. If you'd said "I just love smoking I cannot stop it at all" you'd know there was something wrong, right? The fact that you asked if eating candy every day was bad is a sign you think it's not the greatest idea.

It's not bad to have candy - it's the wanting it every day and the having of it every day to the tune of 400 calories that would make me worry.

BTW, if you're working out for 2 hours every day five times a week you really need to be eating a lot more food, or even better, you need to slow it down to one hour a day. Exercise for more than 60 minutes at any time is counter productive to bulding muscle and losing fat (just like eating candy every day is ). After an hour cortisol levels rise to unmanageable levels and lean muscle starts to be canabalized. You don't want this.

Nat

Old 09-25-2004, 12:28 PM   #5

Kapera_X HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by viver
Hi! Is that 5 times per week at two hours for each workout? Or is it two hours for the whole week?

Twoggle
It's 2 hours a day

Old 09-25-2004, 12:41 PM   #6

Kapera_X HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherhead

BTW, if you're working out for 2 hours every day five times a week you really need to be eating a lot more food, or even better, you need to slow it down to one hour a day. Exercise for more than 60 minutes at any time is counter productive to bulding muscle and losing fat (just like eating candy every day is ). After an hour cortisol levels rise to unmanageable levels and lean muscle starts to be canabalized. You don't want this.

Nat
I guess I'll have to eat more, I've already moved up to 1400 calories a day. Today I might eat 15/1600 .I'll try to lower my workout to 60 minutes, but I'm afaid I wont get results fast enough.

I can also stop eating so much candy, I might just start eating it twice a week, and a lot less of it. I exaggerated when I said I CANNOT stop.

And thanks ALOT for all of your information you are always sooooo helpful.

Old 09-25-2004, 01:57 PM   #7

viver HB User

Quote:
It's 2 hours a day
Hi! That's fantastic dedication. If you're not doing it already, you may want to replace some of that workout time with a class that helps your body and mind to relax (e.g., yoga, meditation) and/or strengthen the core (Pilates). Such practices helped me eliminate my habit of a large bag of M&M's and other junk on workout days. It helped me normalize my weight as well.

Good luck!

Twoggle

Old 09-25-2004, 02:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Today I might eat 15/1600 .I'll try to lower my workout to 60 minutes, but I'm afaid I wont get results fast enough.
The bulk of your results will come from nutrition, Kap, only about 25% is from the workouts. You've heard the saying 'garbage in, garbage out'? Well it applies here. Think of your body as a machine - if you do not give it the energy it needs to function it won't work well. What you're asking it to do takes energy. If you never put gas in your car you're only going to be able to go so far.

Quote:
I might just start eating it twice a week, and a lot less of it
I was going to suggest making it part of the high calorie days (a treat) but I figured you'd heard enough about that from me lately

Nat

Old 09-25-2004, 04:11 PM   #9

Kapera_X HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by viver
Hi! That's fantastic dedication. If you're not doing it already, you may want to replace some of that workout time with a class that helps your body and mind to relax (e.g., yoga, meditation) and/or strengthen the core (Pilates). Such practices helped me eliminate my habit of a large bag of M&M's and other junk on workout days. It helped me normalize my weight as well.

Good luck!

Twoggle

I don't go to the gym. I can't I'm only 16 so all of my workouts are at home by myself, but I do meditate for a little while everyday. Thanks for your suggestions. And thanks for wishing me luck, I appreciate it.

Old 09-25-2004, 04:13 PM   #10

Kapera_X HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherhead
The bulk of your results will come from nutrition, Kap, only about 25% is from the workouts. You've heard the saying 'garbage in, garbage out'? Well it applies here. Think of your body as a machine - if you do not give it the energy it needs to function it won't work well. What you're asking it to do takes energy. If you never put gas in your car you're only going to be able to go so far.

I was going to suggest making it part of the high calorie days (a treat) but I figured you'd heard enough about that from me lately

Nat

Thanks Nat

Old 10-01-2004, 09:47 PM   #11

Formidable HB User

Kapera, I am very much like you. I exercise a lot most days, not scheduled, but whenever I can, due to school, commitments, etc.... I have been trying to keep a balanced diet for several months now and its working relatively good, I don't gain any weight, but body fat is another story, and it comes from stressful times, such as tests, exams, when I need glucose and high-energy brain foods, such as candy, nuts. I am definately not overweight, just have a few little love handles on my stomach, and I can always take them off during the holidays.

I think you should try not to eat candy whenever you don't need it, and only spare it for special occasions, that makes it all the better. Because no matter whether it is 99% fat free, it has calories, and they give you body fat. If ur just working out to keep fit, and not gain fat, then you should be eating 1000-2000 calories a day, but making sure all or most of your caloric food is nutritional, ie.. gives you energy. If you are exercising heavily for a sport, then you should be eating 1500-3000 calories, but again nutritional foods. Dont give in to temptations

Old 10-02-2004, 07:00 AM   #12

Kapera_X HB User

Thanks Formidable

Old 10-02-2004, 07:31 AM   #13
(female)

natthebug HB User

Hey all, I have a similar problem and have had this for years. I am 30, I have always been a junk food junkie. I eat candy all the time, or cookies or tweenkies... etc. If I eat normal food I get really bad indegestion, if I eat what I want I don't. (WIERD???). Anyways It is easy for me to eat 2-3 reeces cup packs a day. I am small frame 5'2 125. I have a little weight in the rump, but mostly I am slender. The only time I have ever gained weight is during my 3 pregnancys. And ever them the most I gained was like 35-40 lbs. I have only exercised off and on through my life... One year I exercised for the whole years straight. Like half an hour aerpobics and light weights then in the evening I would walk for ABOUT 45 MINUTES. But I NEVER lost weight. Hardly a clothe size. Then about a year ago, after having my last child I went to 24/hr fitness for a mont. Didi eliptical machine for 30 then light weights for maybe 20 or 30. But I still didn't lose weight until I pulled out my old bottle of stacker2 I still had (from before they went ephedra free). I lost about 10 lbs. The recently I had been about 127 steadily since then until I got on some AD's which cause me to lose about 5 lbs. I also was not snacking on the crap for like 2 weeks. ow all of the sudden the weight is coming back. (the 5 lbs). I am not sure I really care. But I am just curious, can your body really change that much in a week? By what I eat? I do not eat big measl. I eat a lot of small stuff. But I am always craving junk food. Esp PBCs right now. used to be tweenkies. It varies. Anyways blah blah ramble. I just want to be stable at the 123. I was stable at 127 eating whatever I want whenever. But at 123 I hardly ate anything. Not because I was trying to not eat. But the ADs cause me to los my appetite. Why is it that even if I exercise I do not lose weight? What difference do you think junk food plays in all this? ~Natalie

Closed Thread