It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2004, 10:05 AM   #1

Confused11 HB User
Question Sick of Atkins diet but don't want........

to gain a ton of weight. How should I do this? Should I just gradually add back good carbs and cut calories? Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 09-26-2004, 10:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User
Re: Sick of Atkins diet but don't want........

Haven't you been adding back carbs on Atkins? You should be eating so many veggies you can't stand it and if you're past two weeks you're supposed to be eating low glyceamic fruits (berries, plums, cantaloupe, apples, grapefruit). You should also be eating nuts and needs.

Nat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2004, 12:17 PM   #3
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Confused,
Here's how I did it...
For every carb I added, I removed a concomitant amount of fat calories (basically dropped a gram of fat for ever 2 carbs (I know, 5 fats for 9 carbs.)
I also avoided sugary confections and stayed with cyclamates in my coffee but enjoyed pasta, rice, corn, potatoes and lots of fruit...low glycemic legumes, though very high in carbs are a good choice. No junk food though (greasy, salty, sweet stuff.)

Stopping the whipped cream, the bacon, the sausage, SPAM, butter makes LOTS of room for carbs.

Do it gradually and keep an eye on the scale so you don't "let it all hang out!"

If you're careful, you'll be amazed how easy it is. The GUILT will be bizarro for a couple days though!

Last edited by zip2play; 09-26-2004 at 12:18 PM.

Old 09-26-2004, 01:24 PM   #4

thescaredest HB User

Confused,

You should have been adding back healthy carbs to begin with. Now you have some tools from Atkins that you can take with you. Maybe read about South Beach diet and mix them together a little bit. Instead of purely focusing on just low carbs...begin checking labels. See what is low fat, low cal, low carb, low sugar, but high fiber, high protien, and full of nutrients.

And you should be trying to do some sort of physical activity. Maybe since you are going off Atkins bump up your physcial activities.

If you must go back to some sort of bread only do whole wheat bread, wild rice, never white bread. Like someone else said, nuts are great, fruit, veggies, cheese, and spreads like hummus, all natural (no salt added) butters---like peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butters are good too.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:35 AM   #5
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

I'm also tired of the Atkins Diet. I've decided to go on an old fashioned calorie diet limiting myself to about 1500 calories a day. I'm retired so 1500 s enough. Also plan on walking a few miles a day. See if you can find a pocket calorie guide. I'm told that drinking lots of water prior to a meal helps.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:24 PM   #6

Confused11 HB User

So should I be adding the 2 carbs a week at a time and cutting a fat gram? I guess i am kind of confused as to where to start here.

Old 09-27-2004, 12:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Atkins' recommendation is each week after induction, up carbs 5 grams per day. Continue this each week, watching how your weight loss progresses and adjusting carb intake accordingly. He says nothing about changing fat intake.

Old 09-27-2004, 04:33 PM   #8

Confused11 HB User

I just want to clear up any confusion, I DON'T want to be on the Atkins diet anymore. I am asking how to start eating carbs again without gaining a ton of weight.

Old 09-28-2004, 05:06 AM   #9
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Confused,

Next week add 50 grams of carbs and cut out 25 grams of fat; the week after do it again.
If you want to KEEP losing a small amount of weight, cut out more fat to balance the added carbs.
If your protein from the high meat and dairy diet is over 100 grams you can back off on that too at a rate of 1:1.
In a couple weeks soon you'll be eating something more balanced like a 40%:30:30, or a 50%:25:25 diet (high number is carbs.)
As long as your calories are the same or lower you'll either hold your weight or continue losing.
Good Luck, you'll never look back.
But remember the old maxim: "If you go back to eating wat you ALWAYS ate, you'll go back to weighing what you ALWAYS WEIGHED." Watch those calories and make sure the totals are in keeping with your goals.

Last edited by zip2play; 09-28-2004 at 05:08 AM.

Old 09-28-2004, 06:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Didn't mean to get your dander up, confused, just pointing out one way to do it, however you want to label it.

Old 09-28-2004, 07:34 AM   #11
(female)

Leanne R HB User

Eat carbs but avoid wheat and eat sweet potatoes where possible instead of normal potatoes. Eat corn pasta instead of wheat and rice bread.
Wheat can have an affect on a lot of people's metabolism so avoid that.
Avoid sugar.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:54 AM   #12

Confused11 HB User
Question Re: Sick of Atkins diet but don't want........

So, say for instance salad dressing, should i switch to fat free which can have up to 7g of sugar or stay with the light ranch that i use which has no sugar and 6g of fat? I guess what I am asking is how much sugar should i allow myself to eat here?

Old 09-29-2004, 05:21 AM   #13
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Confused,
Sugar isn't the best choice but 7 grams of it is almost nothing so just look at the total calories for the two dressings and I'm sure the fat free is the lower cal because 7g. sugar = 28 cal and 6g. fat =63 cal.
The fat free wins!

Unfortunately most fat free dressings aren't all that palatable...and a salad really should be delicious or it isn't worth all the trouble.

Old 09-29-2004, 05:29 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Take the ranch but use 1/2 the amount and add an equal amount of red wine vinegar - less fat, less calories and it usually tastes BETTER.

Closed Thread