It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2004, 06:38 AM   #1
(female)

LISA26 HB User
Cutting Trans Fats Out Of Diet

Hi.. I Was Wondering If Anyone Knew How I Can Cut Trans Fats Out Of My Diet...it Seems Pretty Much Everything That Is Not "natural" Has Trans Fats.

Iam Not Sure What I Should Avoid In Order To Get My Body Healthy. I Would Also Like To Know For My Daugthers Sake As Well. If It Is Not Too Much Trouble-- Please List The Foods That I Should Avoid And List The Foods That Are Good For Me Other Than Fruits And Vegetables.

Thank You

Old 09-29-2004, 07:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Re: Cutting Trans Fats Out Of Diet

Trans fats are horrible for you. When your grocery shopping, look at all the labels to make sure the ingredients do not contain "hydrogentated oils" or "partially hydrogenated oils." You'll start getiing used to it. I do most of my shopping at the health food market. Do you have a Whole Foods Supermarket in your area?

Last edited by Jess75; 09-29-2004 at 07:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2004, 07:54 AM   #3
(female)

LISA26 HB User

No We Do Not. I Wish We Did. At The Store I Shop At They Do Have Some Organic Foods ..but Not A Whole Lot. What Are The Main Things I Should Cut Out Of My Diet That Has Trans Fats In Them. Is There Any Type Of Butter That I Can Eat???

Old 09-29-2004, 08:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISA26
No We Do Not. I Wish We Did. At The Store I Shop At They Do Have Some Organic Foods ..but Not A Whole Lot. What Are The Main Things I Should Cut Out Of My Diet That Has Trans Fats In Them. Is There Any Type Of Butter That I Can Eat???
Yes, they have a butter called "Smart Balance" and "Smart Beat", there are a few other ones(forget the names) but these do not contain hydorgenated oils, and are pantened to improve cholesterol. I would cut out all cakes, pies, and cookies cause they contain trans fats in most of them. Look on all the labels like I said, alot of frozen foods contain trans fats in them along with additives.

Old 09-29-2004, 09:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

jojo64 HB User

Yeah, the only real way to know is to check the labels for the word hydrogenated in the ingredients. This might take a bit longer at the store but it's totally worth it.

Old 09-29-2004, 07:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LS289 HB User

Lisa- congrats on cutting trans-fats out of your diet. They are so horrible for you! I am confident that new research will show they are even worse for you than we know right now.
Almost any cracker or chip has trans fat in it (wheat thins, cheetos, etc...) You don't have to cut out everything good to eliminate trans fats--just don't buy processed foods. Whenever you can, make them yourself. Make a cake from scratch and use natural ingredients, bake potato slices in the oven to make your own french fries.

Don't be afraid to skimp on the HEALTHY fats, though. Add olive oil to your cooking, eat nuts and avocados and salmon...and you'll be on your way to being healthy!!!

Old 10-02-2004, 11:53 AM   #7

Exile HB User

I agree with the above posters, the best thing to do is check all the labels.
However, there is no food that you should avoid completely, as any food that contains transfats can also be made without transfat, its just hard to find them at conventional grocery stores.

For example, Jessicca said that you should cut out all cookies because they contain hydroginated oils. Oreos contain alot of trans-fat. Health Balance (i think that is what it is called) makes a cookie that tastes exactly like mint oreos, but without the hydrogenated oils. Newman's own also makes a wide variety of cookies without any hydroginated oils.

I challange anyone to think of a food that is impossible to get transfat free, I am sure I can offer a solution.

Old 10-02-2004, 01:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile
I agree with the above posters, the best thing to do is check all the labels.
However, there is no food that you should avoid completely, as any food that contains transfats can also be made without transfat, its just hard to find them at conventional grocery stores.

For example, Jessicca said that you should cut out all cookies because they contain hydroginated oils. Oreos contain alot of trans-fat. Health Balance (i think that is what it is called) makes a cookie that tastes exactly like mint oreos, but without the hydrogenated oils. Newman's own also makes a wide variety of cookies without any hydroginated oils.

I challange anyone to think of a food that is impossible to get transfat free, I am sure I can offer a solution.
I did mention Whole Foods Market in my post!

Closed Thread