It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Diet & Nutrition Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2004, 06:56 AM   #1
(female)

LISA26 HB User
Is Popcorn Bad For You???

I Was Wondering If Popcorn Is A Bad Choice Of Food. I Was Going To Try And Eat It For Lunch Sometimes...but I Dont Know If It Is Bad For My Health Or Not???

Old 09-29-2004, 09:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Is Popcorn Bad For You???

Bad in what way?

But, in any event, it depends on the popcorn. Is it a mass-produced brand or (gasp) movie theater popcorn? If so, it probably has much added fat (most probably transfat) and in some cases might even exceed, serving for serving, the amount of fat in potato chips.

As for health food store type brands . . . well . . . you can find some popped in canola oil, which is fine for some people but other believe it is too unstable at high heats (like the temperature it would take to pop popcorn). But, it is certainly better than some of the junky snack foods one might eat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2004, 10:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gopherhead HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntjudyg
But, in any event, it depends on the popcorn. Is it a mass-produced brand or (gasp) movie theater popcorn? If so, it probably has much added fat (most probably transfat) and in some cases might even exceed, serving for serving, the amount of fat in potato chips..
Hold onto your hat, Judy: A few years ago, the researchers at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a Washington nutritional watchdog group, analyzed what's in movie popcorn. They found that even without butter, a large order has more than a day's worth of fat and two days' worth of saturated fat. If you add butter, you'll be consuming the fat equivalent of eight Big Macs!

Old 09-29-2004, 10:56 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

holy crap..well guess what guys i make my own..with just couple spoons of extra virgin olive oil..takes about five minutes to make..voila..lol atleast i know whats in there..hah..hi Gopher.. *lol*

Old 09-29-2004, 11:36 AM   #5
(female)

natthebug HB User

have you ever thought about an aipr popper? I have one of those, pops it great throw a little salt, no butter and its like eating fluff, I don't know how much fat it has in it, but I never really liked the buttery taste

Old 09-29-2004, 02:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

I agree, the health food stores sells natural popcorn with canola which is better. Isn't popcorn high in fiber? If so, that's a plus huh?

Old 09-30-2004, 06:44 PM   #7
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

My dietician suggested i use Newmans Own popcorn.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Losec20mg HB User

No..the best pop corn are the ones you make yourself..just buy the grains in the big bag found around the fruits & veggies..they are all natural and, they cost cheaper..and, it only takes about 5 minutes to make...so with 1/2 cup you'll be eating pop corn all night..lol especially on the weekends..makes it real cozy..heh Hope that helped out..

Old 09-30-2004, 09:01 PM   #9
(female)

franstranges HB User

I have always enjoyed plain home poppped popcorn with only a little bit of curry on it. Loose the butter and salt intake and stil get a kick of flavour.
Anwyways
ciao
francesca

Old 10-01-2004, 05:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

justme_ HB User

you have those pieces of corn right? nothign added? all pure corn? but well corn isnt really a good food either tho but like a cup would resemble one corn?

Old 10-01-2004, 04:34 PM   #11
(female)

sivyaleah HB User

I've found that Smart Balance's light lowsalt microwave popcorn isn't too bad tho it did need some getting used to since I really am a salt addict (which I've been working hard on controlling

I believe it is the only one on the market so far with NO trans fats in it. all the other microwave brands do, and we try and stay away from that in my house as my husband has a history of heart problems.

It's only 120 calories per serving with about 3 grams of fat. Not too shabby for a snack, if you're really craving something crunchy and a bit salty.

Closed Thread